Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 17:46   #26
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.
Sadly, this is an amazingly naive post. It must be nice to live in a world of unicorns and rainbows.

The Okie Corral

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 10-07-2012 at 17:47..
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:55   #27
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Then you're not carrying...you're transporting.

When I carry in a car, I just get in the driver's seat with it in my holster. Or, alternatively...I can take it out, sit it on the dash in broad daylight, and drive around with it like that. That's carrying.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:59   #28
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

In Ohio, even if a magazine is loaded and not in the gun, it is considered a loaded gun. Sorry for his troubles, but it's election year and his judge may want to set an example. They've done it before. Where in Ohio was he?

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:02   #29
dherloc
X-Nuc

One big reason to have a concealed carry permit.
dherloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:03   #30
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenphot0 View Post
In Ohio, even if a magazine is loaded and not in the gun, it is considered a loaded gun. Sorry for his troubles, but it's election year and his judge may want to set an example. They've done it before. Where in Ohio was he?
Ohio laws are getting better but we do have crazy stuff still on the books.

Even if the gun and loaded magazine were locked up in separate parts of the car in a safe the driver didn't have a key to, it is still considered carrying a loaded weapon and thus illegal. UNLESS the guy has a Concealed carry permit. If he has one for NC, he'd best get a copy of it prior to seeing the judge.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:08   #31
TheExplorer

I hope he is shown some leniency based on his age and lack of criminal history, but one thing that is guaranteed is that this will be an expensive lesson.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:18   #32
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post

Even if the gun and loaded magazine were locked up in separate parts of the car in a safe the driver didn't have a key to, it is still considered carrying a loaded weapon and thus illegal. UNLESS the guy has a Concealed carry permit. If he has one for NC, he'd best get a copy of it prior to seeing the judge.
yep I have my CHL and covered. Hope he does and can get it to Ohio by Tuesday. Monday is Columbus Day, not sure if the courts are open Monday.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:32   #33
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post

Left Ohio in 1979 and gun laws was one of the reasons. I could go on about what I saw as hypocritical about law enforcement but don't want to spend the time typing. (I'm very slow and it would take hours).

Went to a family reunion this summer and one of my cousins, a retired deputy, made a snide comment why he never came to visit me in Wyoming. Too many of us carry guns and he wouldn't be comfortable.

BTW, I was carrying concealed and he didn't even know.

Too bad your friend didn't come to Wyoming to hunt. A loaded handgun in a vehicle was never illegal since I have been here. Now Wyoming is a no permit state like VT, AK and AZ.

I do and will maintain my Wyoming and Utah permit. Comes in handy when I travel.
Old 10-07-2012, 18:36   #34
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe.
Because my .300 Winchester Magnum rifle fires too weak of a cartridge and I'd need a 10mm to protect myself against creatures of all kinds?
Old 10-07-2012, 18:40   #35
jp3975

Quote:

And what does it matter if its loaded and on you?

One thing ive never understood is laws that disarm drivers.

If someone wants to kill someone illegally, or kill a cop, the law isnt going to stop those people from killing.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:41   #36
costanza187
I like Macs

It's a shame it happened. It's been said before, if you are going somewhere it is your own responsibility to find out the laws of the land first.
Old 10-07-2012, 18:41   #37
r3dot

keep us updated
r3dot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:09   #38
Shinytop

Personally I do not have my Florida CCW yet. I have an appointment for the 15th to apply for it and expect it to take 4-8 weeks before I have it. Until then I travel to ranges with gun unloaded and in the trunk in Florida and Alabama where my range is. I have looked up the reciprocity page on the web page for FL CCW and have a list of the 16 states that do not honor Florida's CCW. With the gun laws being what they are I think it foolish to carry and not be aware of the laws. I feel for your friend and don't feel he had felonious intent. But many law enforcement people will not give one a second chance on that offense.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:10   #39
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Because my .300 Winchester Magnum rifle fires too weak of a cartridge and I'd need a 10mm to protect myself against creatures of all kinds?
In South Texas, at least, the pistol is handy because most encounters with illegals and the cartel "coyotes" that run them take place with very little notice and at very close distances, where a full-sized, bolt-action rifle is of little use. The illegals and "coyotes" normally hide in brush or take cover when they fear someone might be around, and when you encounter them it's normally by surprise and at close distance.

A handgun is very much a plus in situations like that.
Old 10-07-2012, 19:11   #40
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Woops! I bet he won't do that again. He should have researched the laws better and ever better yet, had a license to carry.

The firearms laws as a whole do suck though. I hope they go easy on him since it's his first offense (I think...)
Old 10-07-2012, 19:12   #41
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherloc View Post
One big reason to have a concealed carry permit.
Old 10-07-2012, 21:16   #42
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
When you are hunting, you are already carrying a weapon.

You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.

Been hunting much?

I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods. (i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.

Carry a pistol while scouting before season in some parts of the country I can understand. Carrying a long gun pre-season may get you written up. But during season? Never.
Yeah i hunt with a Bow and the bow is not a good weapon to have to defend yourself with. And i been bowhunting for 15 years, Every serious hunter i know carries a handgun with them when hunting! Your living in a dream world if you think the woods are entirely safe place to be, I've been hunting in the UP in Michigan and been 12 miles in away from anything resembling civilization.

Last edited by Armchair Commando; 10-07-2012 at 21:18..
Armchair Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:19   #43
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Last time i checked you can't use a 300 WM in any of the places i hunt except northern michigan for deer hunting!
Old 10-07-2012, 21:20   #44
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Left Ohio in 1979 and gun laws was one of the reasons. I could go on about what I saw as hypocritical about law enforcement but don't want to spend the time typing. (I'm very slow and it would take hours).

Went to a family reunion this summer and one of my cousins, a retired deputy, made a snide comment why he never came to visit me in Wyoming. Too many of us carry guns and he wouldn't be comfortable.

BTW, I was carrying concealed and he didn't even know.

Too bad your friend didn't come to Wyoming to hunt. A loaded handgun in a vehicle was never illegal since I have been here. Now Wyoming is a no permit state like VT, AK and AZ.

I do and will maintain my Wyoming and Utah permit. Comes in handy when I travel.
Ohio has better gun laws than 90% of the nation!
Old 10-07-2012, 21:27   #45
frank4570
Feral human

It's kind of silly to go to an entirely different state while carrying a gun without researching the laws.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:31   #46
THEPOPE
Nibb

Quote:
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

Don't know where you hunt or fish or hike, but I have encountered so many strange characters in the wilds and swamps while fishing, and I've seen the pictures and texts and trash they leave behind, to carry EVERYwhere in the woods...

Three instances this year alone to warrant carry ...of a defensive weapon.

Indiana has state park carry now. Good.

I am OuT.....

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:33   #47
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have NEVER gone without a handgun. I don't believe in playing make believe where the world is a happy place. Those who do it's a sure sign they're detached from reality.

Quote:
Now boy I tell ya, that makes about as much sense as carrying a bow with an empty quiver into the woods
Old 10-07-2012, 21:38   #48
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Playing Nintendo Duck Hunter doesn't count. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:50   #49
bush pilot

Quote:
2 Points:

I'm guessing your hunting experience is limited to the token fed range at Cabelas. The vast majority of my hunting is done with handguns, glad I don't heed your advice. Seriously, have you ever actually stepped foot in the woods?

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:58   #50
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
Ohio has better gun laws than 90% of the nation!
Felony for having a gun in the car? Sure as hell doesnt sound like it.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote