SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 15:59   #21
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
EOTechs are good optics, and I too prefer the EOTech reticle over the Aimpoint dot for longer range shooting. The fact is, Aimpoints are more reliable, durable, and have a longer battery life. The new CR123 powered EOTechs are a huge improvement, though.
Fair enough
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:04   #22
boomhower

My duty rifle wears fixed irons, FSP w/ tritium insert and DD 1.5 in the rear. It also wear and Aimpoint Pro. I am very proficient with the irons, groups are a but tighter with the Aimpoint though. We are required to qualify with both irons and optics so no crutches allowed.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:09   #23
denn1911

The majority of my rifles do have AimPoint red dot sights. Of the two that have irons only, I shoot them well. I like to shoot with iron sights to keep my skills sharp and for the fun of it. There is no question that I would always go with an optic over irons only. I run my rifles hard and train from awkward positions, etc. The RDS helps with speed and precision while making those tough shots.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:50   #24
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Out of curiousity, how many folks use only Irons sights with no optics and why? Show your setup if possible.
Black Rifle Forum
Why? Because it works.
Old 10-07-2012, 18:50   #25
Fordtough25

Iron's all the way, I shoot well with them and enjoy using them! Nothing wrong with optics but I shoot several military surplus rifles and ak's as well, all iron's there too. I wouldn't mind slapping an Acog on one of the AR's if they weren't so dang expensive!
Old 10-07-2012, 19:46   #26
ak103k

These days, I primary only use irons on my target rifles, and older military guns that are more toys/range guns than anything else. M1's, M1A, 03', Mausers, Colt SP1, etc are all optics free and with their issue sights. Same goes for my Winchester lever guns, and a few other commercial bolt guns.

The advantage to the dot sights is instantly obvious when you use them, but everyone really should learn how to shoot using the iron sights.

As far as batteries going dead, or the optic failing, if you dont buy junk, its a lot less of an issue, and of course, the cowitnessed BUIS are right there if you should need them. Im still running Aimpoint M2's on most of my guns that have one, and have had them since they were the "current" sight of the type. They only have a 10000 hour battery life, and I dont even turn them off, just change the batteries once a year. Yhe newer models run much longer.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 23:46   #27
JW1178

I'm broke, that's why I just have irons. Trained with irons. I think that everyone should be able to shoot with irons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I do teach irons only courses and have done so for several years as a planned progression of training. IMO this produces higher quality shooters when teaching or reinforcing fundamentals via irons. This goes for newer shooters or even when taking experienced shooters and breaking them down to the basics and rebuilding them. So yes I have irons only set ups.

I will note that during intensive irons only courses, shooters are exposed to a multitude of alternate or improvised shooting positions and scenario's including low / no light etc, that it quickly becomes clearly obvious where irons can be a serious limiting factor in a shooters performance especially in critical use training, scenarios, etc, to include force on force. IMO anyone who uses this platform for potential critical use applications are greatly benefited by having training with and deploying a modern capable red dot / optic.
I agree. If you can hit something at 500 yards with your irons, well, you have taken the pebble from the master's hand. A man size target looks like a dot at 500 yards. Now, you take someone who can do that, then give them optics, they can do amazing things. The optic as well as the quality of the optic will only increase their capabilities. Other way around where someone can only shoot well with an optic, the quality and capability of their optic will be the deciding factor on their performance. Take away the optic, they are lost.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:17   #28
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
Iron's all the way, I shoot well with them and enjoy using them! Nothing wrong with optics but I shoot several military surplus rifles and ak's as well, all iron's there too. I wouldn't mind slapping an Acog on one of the AR's if they weren't so dang expensive!

you got that right i have been wanting a 1-4 x optic for a while now...but too damn expensive.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49   #29
TedG
Infidel USA

I'm not quite ready for Armageddon yet, but when it comes, I'll use my Aimpoint. In the mean time, iron sights are more challenging and fun. I prefer a DD1.5 over a folding type because there are less moving parts. The carry handle is fine also.

Black Rifle Forum

Become an Organ Donor today:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53   #30
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
you got that right i have been wanting a 1-4 x optic for a while now...but too damn expensive.
What about a Nikon 1-4 x 20 M-223?
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56   #31
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

AK here, and while I have rds capability- I train with irons a bunch. A rds is an enhancement- not a skill-builder
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05   #32
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedGlock View Post
Iron sights serve a purpose, but I see more and more folks who aren't taking their AR to the desert, not using them. Never hurts to have backup though. I just put an ACOG on my POF so I can't really use them due to the magnification. I might put a set on an angle offset mount but haven't decided yet.
The xs xti off set sights are great from the times i have used them with a magnified optic

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22   #33
scccdoc

What distances are you guys talking about for iron vs. optics? DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23   #34
shooter 14

I have a scope on my 10/22 with iron sights under it I really like the set up for me a scope is a big bonus. I will admit that I need to train with irons more I wear glass's and find them difficult to use and hit accurately with past 40 yards or so I guess I'm just used to scopes but if I could I'd go with both. as it is I've got to lever guns a 500 20 and a 10/22 so I only have a scope on one and don't plan on putting scopes on the other ones.
shooter 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24   #35
shooter 14

If I had a ar I would have maybe 4x scope not sure which with back up iron sights.
shooter 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34   #36
M&P15T
Beard One

WHile I have Troy BUISs, and I have them sighted in at 50 yards, I hardly ever use them.

My Eotech is much more precise, and you can't beat the sight picture.
Old 10-08-2012, 15:44   #37
smokin762

I like options.

Black Rifle Forum
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:59   #38
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Sweet rifle Smokin.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:05   #39
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbandit View Post
Sweet rifle Smokin.
Thank you.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:31   #40
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Both my ARs have optics (EOTech EXPS on the 16" and 4-16x60 Nikon on the 20"), but they also both have BUIS. No reason not to.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote