GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 20:40   #61
MLittle

If I'm dressed, I'm carrying........yes, even at home while sitting in my Lazyboy watching a football game, or watching Sesame Street with my grandkids. Have your investigated where defensive encounters take place? Nearly 2/3rds are home invasions. For me, it's no difference than putting my wallet in my back pocket and my cell phone in my front left pocket......it's part of my lifestyle. It's a lot easier carrying if it becomes a habit and not something you constantly think about. I do live in a safe neighborhood and really don't feel threatened, but have family and close friends who have had bad experiences. I want to be prepared if it ever happens to my or mine..... Do what feels right for you.
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:54   #62
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
First off, my post was not directed at you. So don't try and call me out with one of the dumbest posts I can remember seeing on here or anywhere else, as far as that goes, in a long long time. You do your thing and I'll do mine. I don't give a rats ass if you carry or don't. But leave me out of your silly posts.
Well, I'm sorry if I misjudged who your post was directed towards. Who were you referring to?

Saying my statements are dumb and silly probably means you (1) don't understand them and/or (2) you don't have the ability to rebut them.

When you launch a sarcastic post without identifying the target, you should expect a defensive response from anyone who might feel it's sting. Had you not spouted off, I would have had nothing else to say. We were having a very positive discussion based on sharing points of view.

I apologize to the OP and others who were contributing to the discussion for my rant.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-07-2012 at 21:02..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:14   #63
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Well, I'm sorry if I misjudged who your post was directed towards.
As well you should be. If I direct a post at YOU, you will know it. My sarcastic post was made in general, towards the comments by people "knowing" when they are in a "bad situation" or not. A bad situation can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone. Period. Agree if you want or don't. If you can't recognize reality, that's your problem. Not mine. If you choose to not be armed when you "feel" safe, that's your choice.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:29   #64
GlockFish
Floyd

I carry everywhere but the shower.
or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list.
GlockFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:48   #65
unit1069

Quote:
EDC - Are you a TRUE BELIEVER?
I'm not, by your definition. And I'm certainly glad my staid lifestyle isn't subject to inordinate paranoia even though I'm aware that crime can occur anywhere.

Situational awareness, locked doors and windows, and an alert dog go a long way in preventative measures. While I do often have a pistol readily available within the home it's in Condition 3 to avoid a possible negligent discharge.

Outside the home the situation and reason for being in that situation, the time of day, the overall routine, etc ... dictate whether or not I CCW. I do think most CCW permit holders would admit they don't carry a significant percentage of their waking moments unless they live, work, or frequent in high crime areas.
Old 10-07-2012, 21:51   #66
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I'm not, by your definition. And I'm certainly glad my staid lifestyle isn't subject to inordinate paranoia even though I'm aware that crime can occur anywhere.

Situational awareness, locked doors and windows, and an alert dog go a long way in preventative measures. While I do often have a pistol readily available within the home it's in Condition 3 to avoid a possible negligent discharge.

Outside the home the situation and reason for being in that situation, the time of day, the overall routine, etc ... dictate whether or not I CCW. I do think most CCW permit holders would admit they don't carry a significant percentage of their waking moments unless they live, work, or frequent in high crime areas.
I'm sure they would admit that. But most permit/license holders are not the type of person who regularly posts on forums such as Glock Talk, either.

I suspect that most people who are licensed rarely carry. They are either unwilling to spend the time/money to get a comfortable setup, are unwilling to go to the trouble or hassle (which they often perceive as being much greater than it is/could be), they get it to be able to have a gun in the car, or they get it 'just in case'

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:11   #67
NBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I believe you carry everyday or don't bother carrying at all.

Unless I'm somewhere where it's illegal, I carry.
Same here...it would be my luck that the one time I needed it I wouldn't have it.
Carrying has gotten to the point of being like my wallet, key's, ect. now...if I have to go into a building where it's prohibited (court house, airport, ect.) it's locked in the safe in my truck.
I prefer to have two...one in the truck safe and one on my side.
Old 10-07-2012, 22:26   #68
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockFish View Post
I carry everywhere but the shower.
Stainless steel and G-10 grips .
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:33   #69
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Ditto. I even carry in my house.
I was looking for this answer, and sure enough, found it! Yes, sir.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:56   #70
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakfl View Post
This ^^^
Because the one time you don't have it will be the time you need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. For me it's just second nature.

Sent from my phone booth
I've lived by that rule for many many years...and its paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denn1911 View Post
I carry everyday, 100% of the time, no matter the location.....Bad situations happen in normally safe neighborhoods also. You can't pick when the bad guys decide to confront you.
Exactly!

Quote:
I see from several posts, that apparently there are "safe zones" all across America. I must have missed these boundry lines. How are they marked? As we ALL know that there's NEVER ANY crime that takes place in these areas
Safe zones...right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Unless prohibited by law (going on a military base for instance) I always, 100% of the time have a gun on me. It may at times just be a pocket 380 but it's always something.
I am one of those lucky enough to carry 24/7/365 just about anywhere. It's going to feel weird when I retire and lose that authority. and...I've NEVER taken it for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfireman View Post
I carry everywhere i legally can. I never go unarmed, especially out of laziness.
I hear that (the laziness part) a lot at work. It disgusts me.

HR
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19   #71
M&P15T
Beard One

While I "truly believe" that I like to carry as often as possible, that isn't as much as I would like it to be.

I can't carry at work, and I'm not going to leave a gun in my car for 8+ hours a day to be stolen.

Plus, I don't live in Detroit/Benton Harbor anymore.

So at this point I rarely carry.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30   #72
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Most people don't carry all that crap, but the few who do are heavily overrepresented on Glock Talk.

Heck, you should see the list of gear their Dungeons & Dragons characters are packing.
That's why we carry bags of holding.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17   #73
SigFTW

I carry inside the house, outside the house, at church, taking the garbage out, at work, everywhere where it is legal.

The only time I leave it at the house is when I have to visit a plant or a prison (work related) that will not let you carry on premises.

Last edited by SigFTW; 10-08-2012 at 08:17..
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52   #74
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post

good answer same as me. you just said it better than I did lol.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:49   #75
fastbolt

I almost didn't post in this thread because I dislike the use of the phrase "true believer" as applied to lawfully carrying a handgun as a dedicated defensive weapon in a civilian environment. I simply think it sounds weird, and is probably likely to be taken out of context by other folks, especially those who are anxious to find fault in people being able to lawfully carry weapons in public.

I've carried a badge for 30 years. As a young cop I carried everywhere. Big handguns, too. As time passed, and the newness wore off, I found there were times, situations and circumstances in which it was either not practical, or often not appropriate, to be armed on my own time. (No, I'm not going to give examples. It ought to be easy enough to figure out.)

Nowadays I still carry a retirement weapon more often than not. Just depends. If I had to put a "number" to it, I'd say probably 90+% ... over the course of a year. That doesn't mean there might not be a few consecutive days when I'm not carrying a concealed handgun.

That also doesn't mean I'm "defenseless", either.

I'm familiar with all the debates and arguments. I've gone to listen to John Grossman a couple of times, too. I understand his subject matter and thoughts.

I've been a LE firearms instructor for more than 20 years.

I've spoken with a few hundred CCW licensees over the years. (Yes, we have them in CA.) I've seldom met one who claimed to carry their weapon(s) a majority of the time.

As a LE firearms instructor I've known my fair share of cops who chose not to be armed on their own time. I remember Grossman stating he's seen statistics indicating that maybe almost 20% of active/off-duty cops carry weapons. Maybe so.

I remember attending a class on LEOKA (law enforcement officers killed & assaulted), and when the attending students were asked if they were armed, approx 60% of the hands were raised (out of maybe 200 attendees). I'll leave it to others to try and attribute any irony to that number, considering the subject of the class.

I don't let restrictions against being armed (I'm thinking under LEOSA, when visiting out-of-state) prevent me from going places (unarmed) I want to go to enjoy activities I enjoy doing, just because I can't carry my weapon. Hey, I enjoy visiting pubs, breweries, scotch bars and wineries in new places.

Life's too short to deny myself some of the activities and pleasures to be found, even if it means carrying a handgun as a CCW weapon isn't lawful, practical or convenient. (Yes, I'm familiar with the use of the words "comforting" & "comfortable" as used in the civilian training world, and I've developed my own thoughts on the matter.)

Besides having been in LE for 30 years, I've also pursued the martial arts for 41 years (last month), so it's not like I haven't grasped some basic understanding of how violence could occur.

I get to choose for myself (within the laws).

I don't lecture other folks about how they ought to feel, though. Not my business (unless they ended up violating some local law, of course).

Just my thoughts.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 10-08-2012 at 13:54..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:17   #76
PhotoFeller

Good post, fastbolt. Just your thoughts, but they're good ones.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:58   #77
garya1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
The above statements demonstrate your inability, or unwillingness, to understand the position I've tried to explain as my approach to risk evaluation. But thats ok, because your understanding, or lack thereof, matters not to me. I'm just participating in a friendly discussion about the OP's query.

I fully realize that some folks face real danger every day from people who may do them harm. If I was a prosecuting attorney, a law enforcement officer or a judge, I would carry all the time. If I had a relative, a neighbor, a drug dealer or anybody who was making threats or was clearly after my hide, I'd always want a gun within reach. If I lived in or near a moderate or high-crime area, carrying all the time would be necessary. Living in a rural area, far from law enforcement, might be good reason, too.

Many people who don't face discernible risks similar to the above carry all the time anyway because of other motivators. I'm thinkin' some do it in order to feel powerful. Some may do it because it fulfills some missing aspect of their identity or it boosts their self image. Others do it to demonstrate their commitment to protect loved ones, even though it isn't necessary. Some simply love guns while others want to project a 'bad ass' image. Obviously there are many other reasons not justified by real danger (risk), including a robust imagination.

While many people play the self-defense game based on imperceptible risk, they ignore real, deadly risks to themselves and loved ones presented in everyday life. Consider the following:

1. Use of tobacco in all forms.
2. Excessive consumption of alcohol.
3. Being overweight.
4. Texting and sending/receiving calls while operating a vehicle.
5. Driving after consuming alcohol.
6. Operating a motorcycle.
7. Not getting periodic physical examinations.
8. Not getting colonoscopies as recommended.
9. Ignoring signs of health issues.
10. Not monitoring blood pressure.

Each high risk behavior in this short list is far more likely to kill than an assault in the streets or in one's home. Yet many among us ignore them while fixating every day over self defense weapons and tactics.

I'm just offering my humble opinion to stand along side glock2740's scholarly (or is it sarcastic?) point of view. As you can see, his view of the world is a bit different than mine.
I didn't know criminals were so particular about the victims they picked. I guess you didn't hear about the Dr. in the upscale neighborhood who's wife and daughter were raped and burned alive in their house. You don't have to have enemies to be a victim.
BTW I don't drink, smoke, ride a motorcycle or think I'm a"bad ass". That doesn't mean I will live forever though,life is dangerous.We all face death one day I'm just trying to put that day off for as long as I can and I believe carrying a gun is one way to do that.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:26   #78
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya1961 View Post
I didn't know criminals were so particular about the victims they picked. I guess you didn't hear about the Dr. in the upscale neighborhood who's wife and daughter were raped and burned alive in their house. You don't have to have enemies to be a victim.
But that kind of thing just doesn't happen there.

Exactly what was said by a neighbor afterwards. Even after it has happened...still telling themselves it doesn't.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:13   #79
banjobob

I don't EDC, I also only turn my smoke detectors on when I'm expecting a fire.
banjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:53   #80
PhotoFeller

Sorry. Decided not to continue the debate.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-09-2012 at 05:17..