Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 14:02   #126
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I learned very young to hire a CPA to do mine.

Ffffff that.

Sent from my PKE meter.
You still signed it saying everything was correct.

You think Bernie Madoff prepared his own taxes??
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:03   #127
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Yes, but there are a few laws I don't try to mess with.

IRS stuff
Gun stuff
Insurance/compliance stuff
Use of deadly force as an affirmative defense

and when I was much younger,
What was the age for consent
Speed limits

Not saying anyone else has to be like me, just how I chose to roll.

"Freedom" is not simply free. You have to earn your spot in a free society.
I pay my accountant ungodly sums of money for the IRS stuff, because it isn't possible for someone who doesn't spend all day studying tax law to get it 100% right every time.

I'm not saying people should disregard the law... I'm just saying there comes a point when the number of laws becomes so large that even those with the best of intentions can't know or follow them all.

In the mean time, we all do our best I guess.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:12   #128
philipk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
No question the police officer really had his hands tied. My problem is with the law in Ohio.

It isn't straightforward. I can:

Disassemble my pistol completely, leave the firing pin at home, lock the loaded magazine in a safe to which I don't have they key. Get pulled over and STILL be charged with a felony.

Something is seriously wrong with that. I understand your desire to defend the need to enforce the law as written. I have no problem with that per se. However, the laws in Ohio pertaining to transporting weapons in vehicles is indefensible.
This was my number one reason for getting an Ohio CCW.

I am 55 and for most of my life I travelled to the range with my handguns and loaded magazines in separate bags in the truck. All those years I was ignorant that I was committing a felony.

Luckily I was never stopped.

There is a bill in the Ohio Legislature to change this but I think it is still in committee in the Senate.

IMHO
EVERY gun owner should have a CCW to protect themselves on car carry issues.

G20 (OEM and Lonewolf 6" barrels), G23 (.40 + .357 SIG), G27 (.40 + .357 SIG), G35 (.40 and Lonewolf 9mm)
philipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:13   #129
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.
HAHAHAHA! You have to be joking!
Old 10-08-2012, 14:19   #130
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Playing Nintendo Duck Hunter doesn't count. HH
Line of the year right there!
Old 10-08-2012, 14:28   #131
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
You still signed it saying everything was correct.

You think Bernie Madoff prepared his own taxes??
Sure. He also signs it stating he prepared it and I also enter into a contract with him as far as audits and terms of liability go.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:28   #132
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I learned very young to hire a CPA to do mine.

Ffffff that.

Sent from my PKE meter.

I have a tax attorney do my corporate and personal taxes. Guess what?

1. If there are any screw ups, I am liable, not the CPA, not the tax atty.

2. If the IRS, or my state tax dept screws up, and there is a finding in the favor of the state, I am still liable.

3. Having a CPA or tax atty does not grant one immunity from the law, and it certainly does not mean you have followed the law to the letter. As with LE, there is always something in the tax code where you can be dinged - if .gov looked hard enough.

Maybe you forgot to pay sales tax on an out of state purchase? Maybe you forgot to declare some amount of income you received?

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:30   #133
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Sure. He also signs it stating he prepared it and I also enter into a contract with him as far as audits and terms of liability go.

No, that is not exactly how it works sir.

A LEO, I expect, would have a more granular understanding of how tax laws work.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:38   #134
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The funny part is, Ohio is a gun happy state. I should know, I worked in the office that issued CCW permits in my area. It is not difficult to follow the law.

I did not equate the armed robbery and the knucklehead who was in the OP. I was likening the gun comparison (no firing pin or whatever).

Thanks though.

I'm carrying my G27 right now and he's sitting in jail. Wah wah.

Sent from my PKE meter.
There are but a few GT posters who offer little or nothing consistently. You are the de facto President of that group.
Old 10-08-2012, 15:16   #135
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
There are but a few GT posters who offer little or nothing consistently. You are the de facto President of that group.
Gracias!

Sent from my PKE meter.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:31   #136
cowboy1964

I have an Ohio CHL. I have never, and still don't, carry loaded mags in the car except for the one in my carry piece and the spare mag on my belt. I've over heard people at the gun shop exclaiming their surprise when they find out they have been illegally carrying loaded mags in the car all this time.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-08-2012 at 15:35..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:38   #137
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptomyneck View Post
IMO, the only POS in this whole scenario is the cop who arrested the OP's friend. Ruined a man's life for what? Admitting he had a big, scary gun. The pig should be ashamed of himself. But of course we know he won't. He generated revenue so it's all good.
Whoa, easy.....that kind of language isn't tolerated here....warning....and I'm sure it wasn't done to generate revenue, as you suggest. It is called law enforcement for a reason (enforcing laws!).
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:43   #138
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipk View Post
This was my number one reason for getting an Ohio CCW.

I am 55 and for most of my life I travelled to the range with my handguns and loaded magazines in separate bags in the truck. All those years I was ignorant that I was committing a felony.

Luckily I was never stopped.

There is a bill in the Ohio Legislature to change this but I think it is still in committee in the Senate.

IMHO
EVERY gun owner should have a CCW to protect themselves on car carry issues.

This was the main reason I got mine too. I carry 80% of the time.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:01   #139
RonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I love the fact the the OP has never returned, answered any questions, or given any other information.
I don't blame him, who would want to read some of the "stuff" in here? I still hope his friend gets a sympathetic PA and or judge and avoids a felony charge. Ignorance of the law is no excuce, but being a decent person with a clean record, being honest with the officer and straight with the judge may mitigate some of the damage.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:40   #140
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I pay my accountant ungodly sums of money for the IRS stuff, because it isn't possible for someone who doesn't spend all day studying tax law to get it 100% right every time.

I'm not saying people should disregard the law... I'm just saying there comes a point when the number of laws becomes so large that even those with the best of intentions can't know or follow them all.

In the mean time, we all do our best I guess.
Yeah, but it is actually quite simple. If you're going into a state where you don't know the law, click on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and spend five minutes reading. Wow. It isn't a full time job. If you can't spend five or ten minutes checking out laws then I start to question your level of responsibility. None of us know every single law, but we can get it 99% right, and then use best judgement for the rest.

My bet is the guy gets off with no charges filed. Maybe probation on a misdemeanor and a court costs fine.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:54   #141
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post

CF,
I'm assuming sarcasm here. Excuse me if I'm wrong, haven't had my coffee yet. I don't know where you live, but if you plan to travel you should realize that different states have different laws. Learn the laws in your own state first. Then expand from there. If you want to live in the wild, you can try borneo or Tanzania, or - well, there is probably nowhere left on this planet that is truly wild. But we live in a society and our society is governed by laws. I enjoyed the "Deadwood" series recently, where laws are just starting to come into play, and it was interesting and a fun show.

The guy was in violation of his own state laws!!! He can't blame it on not knowing about other states' laws.

BUT, and this is a big one, he would have been fine if he had gotten a license. We all get licenses to drive, which seems reasonable, and it isn't completely crazy that we get licenses to carry. In both cases, they may keep some of the wackos off the streets. The state DOES allow him to carry loaded, but he needs to jump through a couple easy hoops, like we all do throughout life.
Shall not be infringed.

If a permit is required it is a privilege, not a right.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:01   #142
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
The victim is the state of Ohio.

It's not a paperwork mixup, he failed to follow the laws as written by the state of Ohio.

Sent from my PKE meter.
The laws in your state regarding guns are immoral.
Old 10-08-2012, 17:08   #143
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
When you are hunting, you are already carrying a weapon.
And when I have a pistol with me, I have a backup! Unless I'm hunting WITH a pistol.

Quote:
You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot
Idiots think you don't ever need a backup.

Quote:
Been hunting much?
Every year.

Quote:
You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.
What kind of guarantee that what you've scouted in the past won't have different conditions the day you arrive? I know guys that have been treed by feral dog packs and had to take care of business.

Some states, not mine but some, have ammo limits for what can be in your hunting weapon.

Quote:
I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods.
Only if they're anti gun. Most guys I know think youre a fool if you don't keep proper protection on you. Meth labs, finishing shots, feral dogs, other wild animals and coyotes are just a few of the hazards.

Pro gun guys don't laugh at others carrying weapons.

Quote:
(i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.
In AK, a large frame double action revolver .44mag and up is known as a "rolling around on the ground" gun in case you get tackled by a bear, you're already likely wounded but its your last chance. More than few stories have come back where it made the difference in life and death. Pretty much the same thing for MT, WY, ID, WA CO and UT.

An old friend in Oregon told the story of his dentist who used to fish annually in the UP of Michigan. A long gun would not have helped him any when he got blindsided by a blackie and went for his .357. He survived, barely but was badly wounded and now only takes a .44mag loaded with hardcast.

Quote:
But during season? Never.
Suit yourself. No skin off my back.
Old 10-08-2012, 17:20   #144
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Yeah, but it is actually quite simple. If you're going into a state where you don't know the law, click on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and spend five minutes reading. Wow. It isn't a full time job. If you can't spend five or ten minutes checking out laws then I start to question your level of responsibility. None of us know every single law, but we can get it 99% right, and then use best judgement for the rest.

My bet is the guy gets off with no charges filed. Maybe probation on a misdemeanor and a court costs fine.
What if you're leaving home, traveling 13 or 14 hours to be in another state, spend a week or so there, then on to a nearby state to spend another two weeks, then on to another...

"shall not be infringed.."

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:24   #145
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptomyneck View Post
IMO, the only POS in this whole scenario is the cop who arrested the OP's friend. Ruined a man's life for what? Admitting he had a big, scary gun. The pig should be ashamed of himself. But of course we know he won't. He generated revenue so it's all good.
Oddly a considerable number of the people in Ohio probably disagree with you and he needs to essentially do what they want based on what their legislators write. And few felonies generate anywhere near the revenue they cost to investigate and prosecute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post

What makes people who pay a fee to be able to carry a gun in the car so much more special than those who havent or cant afford to pay up?

It doesn't make them special. It just makes them legal and helps to about instantly differentiate those who ignore the law.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:25   #146
TactiCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
The laws in your state regarding guns are immoral.
Immoral indeed. Sadly, the natural law theory is not very popular in today's court systems.

BTW are you voting yes on #2 in November?
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:44   #147
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Oddly a considerable number of the people in Ohio probably disagree with you and he needs to essentially do what they want based on what their legislators write. And few felonies generate anywhere near the revenue they cost to investigate and prosecute.
The nearly universal GNG opinion is: "Cops should answer to the taxpayers who pay their salaries!...unless the taxpayers tell them to do things I don't like...."

As in the third grade, their ultimate social theory is "I should get what I want and people should do what I say."

Last edited by Bren; 10-08-2012 at 18:46..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:45   #148
guns85

Here is the reciprocity from the NRA for the state of North Carolina. If would have had a North Carolina permit he would have been ok.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state...-carolina.aspx

G21 gen4
G17 gen4
guns85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:28   #149
Search

I do feel bad for your friend, given he wasn't meaning any harm, however..

It is an individuals personal responsibility to know the laws in their state and other states they travel through, or visit.

In every state I'm familiar with it's illegal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle.

Unless a state has signed reciprocity with the state your permit was issued, your permit is invalid anyway.

The absolute safest thing to do, granted you don't want to know the actual law, is unload your firearm, separate the ammunition to the best of your ability, and secure them both. Hence, leave the ammunition in a box and put your gun in a case or bag.

If you do get stopped, your as safe as you possible could be next to not having it, which I'm not suggesting.

Ignorance doesn't make anything right. Know the laws, protect your self.
Springfield Loaded 1911
Search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:42   #150
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Search View Post
I do feel bad for your friend, given he wasn't meaning any harm, however..

It is an individuals personal responsibility to know the laws in their state and other states they travel through, or visit.

In every state I'm familiar with it's illegal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle.

Unless a state has signed reciprocity with the state your permit was issued, your permit is invalid anyway.

The absolute safest thing to do, granted you don't want to know the actual law, is unload your firearm, separate the ammunition to the best of your ability, and secure them both. Hence, leave the ammunition in a box and put your gun in a case or bag.

If you do get stopped, your as safe as you possible could be next to not having it, which I'm not suggesting.

Ignorance doesn't make anything right. Know the laws, protect your self.
What if you need it really really badly and like right now?