SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:12   #1
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Help me decide: Christmas purchase

Every year I take a little money and pick myself up a little gift for Christmas. Usually these are firearms that fall into the "bucket list" catagory or fun gun catagory. You know the kind - the totally impractical thing you don't need, but would have fun taking to the range.

Last year, after having some trouble deciding, I posted my list and budget to see what others thought. I got some great responses. For example, one of the firearms I was contemplating was an MPA Defender "Mac-10 clone." I was bombarded with PMs and posts telling me how horrible they were from actual users.

I ended up, after getting a lot of positive recomendations, picking up a Vector Uzi - and I love it. So, I am going to ping the GT braintrust again.

Below you'll find my list of five firearms I am contemplating. Feel free to pick the list appart, make suggestions or tell me about your history with those firearms.

Again, I am going for fun and non-practical.

Also, I already have an AR, AK, a bird/skeet gun, hunting rifle and several pistols and mil surp weapons. No need to add to those! Also, ammo is not a major concern - I will have plenty by the time the gun gets here.

Budget should be less than $1000

In no particular order:
1) VEPR 16.5" in 7.62x54R with PSL/FPK scope - Been looking at these for a year and the new $200 price decrease is really appealing. I have a bunch of Mosins and ammo and I enjoy the AK action. ~$800-$1000 with scope
2) Umarex HK-MP-522 - This year I was only going to buy .22s. Didnt happen. My son is getting older, ammo is getting more expensive and this looks like a great range toy. ~$500
3) Lever action in .357 - I've never owned a lever gun and have been feeling them up a lot lately. I like pistol caliber weapons and really enjoy .357/.38sp. I could be swayed by a Mare's Leg as well. ~$400-$700
4) Ruger GP100 - I have two revolvers, but both are mil surp mementos that rarely, if ever, get shot. I thought this would be a nice addition - but my concern is that it's more practical than fun...but I would enjoy it. ~$400-500
5) Home Defense Shotgun - I havent decided on a model yet, but this is a gap in my collection. I actually looked at a Mossberg O/U 18.5" 12 gauge last night that tempted me. Suggestions? ~$400-$800?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

That new STG-45 in .22LR.

You'll never own a real one. I've handled and shot a real one. The .22 version, aside from a tiny weight difference (maybe a pound?) and the mag having a slot in it, is a clone.

They're also fun.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:31   #3
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

You'll never own a real one. I've handled and shot a real one. The .22 version, aside from a tiny weight difference (maybe a pound?) and the mag having a slot in it, is a clone.

They're also fun.

Oh, very good suggestion. I havent gotten to see one in person yet, but that is a very good idea.

This year was going to be the "year of the .22" for me, but it ended up being the year of Mil Surps. I'd love to aquire a few more .22s so my family and I can go shooting more.
Old 10-08-2012, 14:59   #4
Bruce M

If the rifles are similar to the pistols I would avoid anything Umarex, but I know nothing of the MP 522. Your budget should be adequate for perhaps a 10/22 and the GP100 or a Remington 870. If you considered used ones and shopped around maybe all three.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:32   #5
minnshooter

Kill 2 birds with one stone, Ruger GP100 and a Remington 870 for home defense and still not break the $1000 limit
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:48   #6
Slackinoff

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
Old 10-08-2012, 19:55   #7
Slackinoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUAdman View Post
This year was going to be the "year of the .22" for me, but it ended up being the year of Mil Surps. I'd love to aquire a few more .22s so my family and I can go shooting more.
What about a S&W 617?

General Firearms Forum
Old 10-08-2012, 20:15   #8
rustygun

Ok i'm gonna be off the wall here. You said a home defense shotgun that is kinda practical but also loads of fun and it fits inside your budget. I got myself a stoeger coach gun with internal hammers and two triggers in blue. Stupid fun and since you said you where looking at a over under not much difference. Its heavy enough to shoot 3 inch magnum turkey loads with just a grunt and a limb saver and short enough to go bump in the night if you want or need it to.
rustygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:23   #9
jp3975

A little more $$$...but I love the looks of the VEPR Hunter.

General Firearms Forum

For a shotgun...why not a Saiga?

General Firearms Forum

For a 22lr...

You could buy a Ruger Mark or 22/45 and a suppressor.

I like the Mark series better because its all metal, but the 22/45 accepts 1911 grips, and can come with a threaded barrel with rails on top and bottom from the factory.

How awesome would it be to have a suppressed 22lr pistol? You could also afford a suppressed 10/22 if you'd prefer the rifle.

General Firearms Forum

You could probably also afford to buy a 22 rifle plus a suppressor for your UZI or maybe SBR it.

Since you like AKs...

http://www.huntertownarms.com/k762ak.php
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27   #10
Glock40man

From your list, I would go with the GP 100. I would also check out a S&W M&P 15-22 and, as Bruce suggested take a look at a 10/22. They have tons of aftermarket support.

Last edited by Glock40man; 10-09-2012 at 02:33..
Glock40man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25   #11
skud_dusty

Quote:

Budget should be less than $1000

In no particular order:
1) VEPR 16.5" in 7.62x54R with PSL/FPK scope - Been looking at these for a year and the new $200 price decrease is really appealing. I have a bunch of Mosins and ammo and I enjoy the AK action. ~$800-$1000 with scope
2) Umarex HK-MP-522 - This year I was only going to buy .22s. Didnt happen. My son is getting older, ammo is getting more expensive and this looks like a great range toy. ~$500
3) Lever action in .357 - I've never owned a lever gun and have been feeling them up a lot lately. I like pistol caliber weapons and really enjoy .357/.38sp. I could be swayed by a Mare's Leg as well. ~$400-$700
4) Ruger GP100 - I have two revolvers, but both are mil surp mementos that rarely, if ever, get shot. I thought this would be a nice addition - but my concern is that it's more practical than fun...but I would enjoy it. ~$400-500
5) Home Defense Shotgun - I havent decided on a model yet, but this is a gap in my collection. I actually looked at a Mossberg O/U 18.5" 12 gauge last night that tempted me. Suggestions? ~$400-$800?
While I love your enthusiasm here's my take on the list thus far:

1)Why not get a Saiga in .308 and slowly convert it, or a Vepr in .308? I know you already have the ammo, but what happens when your supply runs out? I think the Wolf .308 and 7.62x54r are equally priced, but if you can't get that locally .308 is literally everywhere.

2)Stay away from Umarex. You'd be better served with a GSG, or if you want the AR15 look the S&W M&P15-22. Umarex is known to put out some pretty junky stuff.

3)Totally on board with this one! PCCs are super fun, lever guns are super fun, .38/.357 is easy to roll your own, what's not to like? Have you shot lever guns before? Do you enjoy them? I know I love my .30-30...

4)Do you like shooting revolvers? If you want something more fun get something a little more oddball than the mundane GP100. It's a fine firearm, no knocking it, but I see it as more of a belt gun for a hunter than a range toy. They are built like tanks and will take nuclear .357 loads if you are so inclined. They will probably outlast 3 or 4 generations to come as well, so if you have a child that likes guns there ya go. I'd personally go with a pre-lock 686 as I like Smiths a lot more, but I wouldn't fault you for a Ruger.

5)You can get a Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel for $200 or less at pawn shops. I just found my 24" ported turkey 500 for $165 and it's a damn fine shotgun. Unless you're looking for brand new you can do much better than the price you've posted. That way you still have money left over for mods and more toys

I'm sorry if this comes across at nitpicking, that wasn't the intention. Just trying to give another view

As far as my own personal suggestions, if I had $1k right now to buy something I would probably spend the money on a couple of collection pistols but if I had to spend it on just a "fun gun" it would probably be a nice Hi Power. I've always wanted to try one but just haven't had a chance to own one (yet!)

Last edited by skud_dusty; 10-09-2012 at 06:30..
skud_dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10   #12
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
I'm sorry if this comes across at nitpicking, that wasn't the intention. Just trying to give another view

No, thats what I was asking for! The advice is very appreciated! All of you gave some great advice.

So let's take the Umarex off the list. I read some fairly okay things, but honestly it was losing it's appeal.

I know a lot of you love the 15-22, and I do as well, but it's too close to my AR. I part of these Christmas purchases is to get platforms that I am not familiar with, or that I do not already have in my collection.

10/22s are very fun, and believe it or not but I only just shot my first one a few weeks ago. A friend picked his up for, get ready, $25. Bought it from a gunshop that had folded up. It was a great shooter.

To the Saiga shotguns, they always seemed to big to me for some reason. What I was thinking was something smaller - if only I had my trust set up so I could SBR one!

The GP100 suggestion plus the Mossberg sounds fun. I've been keeping an eye out for used shotguns and GPs, but havent seen anything close to being a value. This election is killing my budget.

For lever gun guys, my experience has been mostly with Henry levers. Not sure I'd want to go that direction. Not bashing Henry at all, just unsure what else is out there. What do you guys suggest for lever guns?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11   #13
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackinoff View Post
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

This picture made me drool this morning. You, sir, are an evil, evil man.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49   #14
byf43
NRA Life Member

First choice:
Marlin 1894 (pre-2009/10 production!) lever gun, in either .357 or .44 magnum.

Second choice:
Stoeger "Coach Gun Supreme" SxS in 12 ga. with screw-in choketubes.
Blued barrels. Stainless receiver.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...e-triggers.php

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 10-09-2012 at 07:50..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:36   #15
Bob Hafler

If you've never owned a lever action 30/30, I'd go with one of them. No Gun/Rifle collection is complete witout one.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:49   #16
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

They're also fun.
^^ agreed one of these or many others on the market for some range fun with the SON /FAMILY would be really cool. I had a similar option and some say I was dumb for my choice and some say good job..I was looking at a Anniversary present back when they had those Sig P6's for like $349...wife even gave me the OK but instead I got a .22 Pistol(spent the same amount $350) But I did it because it was something more than just something I wanted just for me..it was something that my Son also loves to shoot...I cant load mags fast enough for him. so I also say grab the .22 of your choice and get it out with the kid and have a blast.

Some guys thought I was nuts passing on the P6(sometimes I look back and think so also...) but I also KNOW that that .22 pistol went a long way to getting the kid into shooting and really liking it. Next up is just what you are looking at for us..we want a .22 version of something lol..A AR/M4 platform, one of those Ruger 10/22 conversions, aMP5 style or well...what ever will be fun and cheap at the range!

I went out and finally got the toy I wanted a M1 Garand..now its time for something the kid can enjoy also!

Last edited by CBennett; 10-09-2012 at 14:50..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:52   #17
collim1
Shower Time!

I vote lever action .357mag.

Very handy little gun to have around the hunting camp.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:56   #18
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
^^ agreed one of these or many others on the market for some range fun with the SON /FAMILY would be really cool.

This is definately a major factor on my list. The only .22 I have right now is a Buckmark I got decades ago now. Great shooter, cheap and easy. It's what I taught my wife on and what I'll teach my son on.

He's only 19 months, so he has some growing to do, but some of my fondest memories were sitting on Sundays with my dad and taking out his lever-action .22.

My wife keeps pushing me to pick up something for my son (don't we all wish we had those kinda problems?), but I keep getting stuck on the details.

What is he going to like in 8 years? Is he gonna want a tactical space gun .22? Something more vintage? Or is it more about spending time with the old man?

Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-09-2012, 15:24   #19
CBennett

Quote:
This is definately a major factor on my list. The only .22 I have right now is a Buckmark I got decades ago now. Great shooter, cheap and easy. It's what I taught my wife on and what I'll teach my son on.

He's only 19 months, so he has some growing to do, but some of my fondest memories were sitting on Sundays with my dad and taking out his lever-action .22.

My wife keeps pushing me to pick up something for my son (don't we all wish we had those kinda problems?), but I keep getting stuck on the details.

What is he going to like in 8 years? Is he gonna want a tactical space gun .22? Something more vintage? Or is it more about spending time with the old man?

Decisions, decisions.

I got us a S&W 22A with a red dot he loves it, He also got a single shot Cricket rifle when he was around 5 or 6 to "learn on" when he wanted his first "real"(meaning to him bigger than a Cricket rifle ) rifle it came down to a lever action henry or a Bolt action(you cant hunt with a semi auto in PA so they were ruled out for a useable rifle(but not as a fun rifle). He wanted a bolt action so we got him a youth model Savage left handed bolt model with the accu trigger..he also loves that...now we want something for fun at the range...we have looked at almost all the ones they have but id never seen that STG one till now he loves it
Old 10-09-2012, 15:25   #20
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I vote lever action .357mag.

Very handy little gun to have around the hunting camp.
^^ If I were to go off your list this would also be my choice for something thats not a .22 . I have 2 .357 mag revolvers and 1 .38 special snub nose so a .357 lever action would fit right in the lineup.