Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 19:56   #81
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
1. I could get hit by a meteor fragment or an airplane part falling from the sky. That doesn't cause me to wear a helmet before I step out of the house.
I stopped reading here.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:23   #82
harrygunner

When I walk to the park, I leave my wallet, money and watch at home. Won't be needing those.

Before attending a meeting, keep on my watch, but leave my wallet, money clip and pocket change in the car.

When I go to the store, I leave the watch at home and bring the wallet and pocket money.

If I really did these things, most here would consider that quite odd.

Most people don't "take a watch to the store." They go to the store while happening to have a watch on.

Anytime one asks "Why take a gun to the ...", could be thinking backward.

One goes places and lives ones life. The things they carry go with them.

When I wake up, I get dressed, make sure I have my "stuff" and live my life, not really focusing on a need to "take a gun to ...".
Old 10-08-2012, 20:47   #83
PhotoFeller

Decided not to continue the debate.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-09-2012 at 05:19..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 23:14   #84
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post

For most people, the risk of attack is about the same as being hit by a meteor.
Fantasy land.

You live in it

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 10-08-2012 at 23:14..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01   #85
Glock40man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I believe you carry everyday or don't bother carrying at all.

Unless I'm somewhere where it's illegal, I carry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Pretty well sums it up.
Yes, it does.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09   #86
PhotoFeller

Just decided to eliminate this post.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-09-2012 at 05:21..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24   #87
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
I almost didn't post in this thread because I dislike the use of the phrase "true believer" as applied to lawfully carrying a handgun as a dedicated defensive weapon in a civilian environment. I simply think it sounds weird, and is probably likely to be taken out of context by other folks, especially those who are anxious to find fault in people being able to lawfully carry weapons in public.

I've carried a badge for 30 years. As a young cop I carried everywhere. Big handguns, too. As time passed, and the newness wore off, I found there were times, situations and circumstances in which it was either not practical, or often not appropriate, to be armed on my own time. (No, I'm not going to give examples. It ought to be easy enough to figure out.)

Nowadays I still carry a retirement weapon more often than not. Just depends. If I had to put a "number" to it, I'd say probably 90+% ... over the course of a year. That doesn't mean there might not be a few consecutive days when I'm not carrying a concealed handgun.

That also doesn't mean I'm "defenseless", either.

I'm familiar with all the debates and arguments. I've gone to listen to John Grossman a couple of times, too. I understand his subject matter and thoughts.

I've been a LE firearms instructor for more than 20 years.

I've spoken with a few hundred CCW licensees over the years. (Yes, we have them in CA.) I've seldom met one who claimed to carry their weapon(s) a majority of the time.

As a LE firearms instructor I've known my fair share of cops who chose not to be armed on their own time. I remember Grossman stating he's seen statistics indicating that maybe almost 20% of active/off-duty cops carry weapons. Maybe so.

I remember attending a class on LEOKA (law enforcement officers killed & assaulted), and when the attending students were asked if they were armed, approx 60% of the hands were raised (out of maybe 200 attendees). I'll leave it to others to try and attribute any irony to that number, considering the subject of the class.

I don't let restrictions against being armed (I'm thinking under LEOSA, when visiting out-of-state) prevent me from going places (unarmed) I want to go to enjoy activities I enjoy doing, just because I can't carry my weapon. Hey, I enjoy visiting pubs, breweries, scotch bars and wineries in new places.

Life's too short to deny myself some of the activities and pleasures to be found, even if it means carrying a handgun as a CCW weapon isn't lawful, practical or convenient. (Yes, I'm familiar with the use of the words "comforting" & "comfortable" as used in the civilian training world, and I've developed my own thoughts on the matter.)

Besides having been in LE for 30 years, I've also pursued the martial arts for 41 years (last month), so it's not like I haven't grasped some basic understanding of how violence could occur.

I get to choose for myself (within the laws).

I don't lecture other folks about how they ought to feel, though. Not my business (unless they ended up violating some local law, of course).

Just my thoughts.
very well said...as I would have expected from fastbolt...thanks!

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:46   #88
IvanVic

I carry everywhere except work.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35   #89
ashecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I believe you carry everyday or don't bother carrying at all.

Unless I'm somewhere where it's illegal, I carry.
another vote for this. Always check to see where its legal and where its not.

I always used to carry in the movies, but after reading the law again for NC, it says illegal anywhere admission is charged. Not sure if I could argue I am not paying for admission, but rather to see a film, but I doubt its worth the hassle if my shirt rode up for some reason and somebody panicked, so I have to add the movies to the list of no carry places.
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09   #90
TxDoubleAgent

Send a message via AIM to TxDoubleAgent Send a message via Yahoo to TxDoubleAgent
"I'm a believer, Couldn't leave her if I tried."
XD-.40 4" service with Nebo 190 lumin tac. light
XD-.40sc
TxDoubleAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:27   #91
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDoubleAgent View Post
"I'm a believer, Couldn't leave her if I tried."
thanks Mickey...
Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:47   #92
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I'm in the carry where it is legal camp. There are exceptions. For example, I'm not carrying when I'm coaching soccer games (too much running, and I have a gun nearby in the car as a backup plan). Likewise, I don't carry when I'm at the local batting cage taking batting practice (it would mess up my swing more than I'm willing to sacrifice), but again, it is very very close in the car.

Also, I don't carry when taking out the trash. I live in an extremely safe neighborhood. That is one of the primary reasons I live here (it sure isn't for all of the hippies and liberals around here). But for the LEO's in my town, this isn't a tough beat. You've got some drunks to deal with (about 6 blocks away on the main drag), and some teenage vandalism, and that's about it. Break-ins are surprisingly rare. Violent crime is practically non-existent. If, and that is a big if, I encountered something just outside my house, I am prepared for hand-to-hand combat. There is a reason my favorite martial arts instructor is a former Navy SEAL, and he teaches us as many techniques and tricks as we can absorb into our brains - then we practice to create muscle memory. And we work out. Yeah, so just because I don't have a gun on me doesn't mean I don't have several deadly weapons. Hands, feet, elbows, etc.....I'm ALWAYS carrying those...
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00   #93
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Nah, I'm an infidel. I do occasionally venture out of the front door unarmed. However, I make up for it by sometimes carrying two full size guns.

YMMV.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36   #94
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

My belts are kept in the same drawer as my holsters. I carry.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04   #95
uptomyneck

I carry from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed. I carry when I get the mail, go to church, watch TV and every time I go somewhere whether it's a prohibited place or not. When it comes to my safety, I don't care what a corrupt politician says I can or can't do.
uptomyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:23   #96
wjv

I carry very little, but more than I use to.

I carry a LOT more at home than I use to. One advantage there is that we live on a private road, solely owned by us and our 15 neighbors. Since our entire sub-division is in essence private property, I don't even bother carrying my permit when I'm just around the neighborhood.

The major problem I have with carrying a lot is that we live right on the WA/OR border and I'm in Oregon many times per week. . Since i don't have an Oregon permit it becomes a PITA to carry.

One of my neighbors wants to take the Oregon CCW class so I'll probably take it with him and get my non-resident permit so I can legally carry in OR. Once that happens, I'll be carrying a lot more.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote