SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:43   #21
biker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbannan View Post
Is a KKM barrel for my g19 really worth it? I feel the gun is way more accurate than i'll ever be even with a upgraded barrel. Thoughts?
I installed one on my Glock 34, I feel that it's more accurate than the stock barrel.
biker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:05   #22
judgecrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1958 View Post
I installed one on my Glock 34, I feel that it's more accurate than the stock barrel.
I put a KKM in my G17 and cut groups in half.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:41   #23
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

You the money saved on not buying an aftermarket barrel for ammo and practice grip/trigger control and sights..

Last edited by TxGlock9; 10-08-2012 at 22:41..
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 23:20   #24
Yankee2718

Are the aftermarket barrels really necessary to shoot lead? I've read about guys shooting lead no problem through stock barrels.
Yankee2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 23:45   #25
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Only thing necessary after shooting lead rounds through a stock barrel is cleaning.. Glock advises against it is because the combination of fouling from lead and the polygonal rifling will generate higher pressure behind the projectile which can cause catastrophic failure.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30   #26
jbglock

I used to use a lot of lead reloads in my 2nd gen 23 and later converted 23C. I'd typically go 400+ rounds per range session with sessions up to 4 days per week. the only problem I had with the stock barrel was the increased amount of cleaning (scrubbing) that was required with lead bullets.

I don't know about the .40 KKM barrels but the 40-9mm conversion I have in my current gen3 23C in extremely accurate. I am more accurate with it than my friends gen4 19. I agree with others though that most shooters can't take advantage of that extra accuracy as the Glock is already more accurate than they are.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39   #27
Yankee2718

So if I just use bore cleaner and scrub the bore I'll be fine shooting lead down the tube?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44   #28
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post
So if I just use bore cleaner and scrub the bore I'll be fine shooting lead down the tube?
Yes. I never used anything fancy. Just Hoppes 9 and a bronze bore brush. Not shooting lead I can get a barrel clean with the plastic bristle brush that comes with the Glock. This is with a 40 cal Glock. Never had a problem sizing my cases afterwards and I was very careful anyway with my reloads. I'd discard them well before the point they had to be trimmed. If you are using a different caliber I'd ask someone with experience with it and reloading it specifically. I also don't use any reloads other than my own.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46   #29
Yankee2718

I'd use 9mm. That puny worthless, good for nothing cartridge.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57   #30
theSteve

My stock gen4 27 shot high and to the right at close to medium distance ranges. I put a KKM barrel in it hoping that it would make it a straight shooter, and darn has it done just that. I get a kick out of how accurate it is now every time I shoot it. I enjoy shooting it more than I do my gen4 21 or sig.
theSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54   #31
icelandicstud

icelandicstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:22   #32
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post
Yankee
I have lost count of how many thousands of rounds I have put down range through my Glock factory barrels in 9 mm and 40 S&W over the years.
The cast bullets I use range in Brinell hardness number BHN from 15 to 18,typically called commercial hard cast alloy.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

A site dedicated to cast bullets and great resource for shooters and casters.

One thing that I will expand on is it's important to thoroughly clean your barrel between uses of jacketed/plated ammunition and cast/lead bullets and vise versa.
Lead tends to build up more quickly on copper fouling in the bore if not thoroughly cleaned.

Cleaning of a OEM Glock barrel I find to be more easy than conventional rifled barrels. The hammer forged barrels finish is mirror bright and smooth,which tends not to build up lead as much.
When I go to the range I always have a bore snake in my bag,if you were to feel the need to run it through ones barrel after what ever number of rounds it allows easy brushing at any point.

I usually unless it's a quick range visit take a minimum of 300 rounds to the range with me,another plus for cast bullet loads allows one to shoot more.
I don't bother cleaning at the range because my loads don't lead and as a result I don't worry and clean up is quick and easy when I get to it.

One other word of advise is load safe and sane, when I load 9 mm I don't try to get 357 Sig Velocities from my loads.
Same for 40 S&W I don't try to make a 10 mm's out of them.

I haven't ever seen the need for a after market barrel to shoot cast bullet loads out of my Glocks.
That said I will not say that if thats what one wants to do to feel better about it then they should. SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 10-09-2012 at 16:26.. Reason: fix link
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:25   #33
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
My 1996 Gen2 G19 has 83,000+ rounds fired, mostly my reloads. It is still more accurate than I.
Maybe you just need a little more practice.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:23   #34
seaswol
NRA Life Member

KKM barrels

I have KKM barrels in 10mm, 45ACP and 40 - 9mm conversion. Bench rested the factory Glocks and then tested with the aftermarket barrels. A very noticeable improvement. Then did the same test offhand. Then, a noticeable improvement. So I'm very glad to have the improvement in accuracy with my 10mm LS. Naturally, a conversion barrel is an aftermarket, so get what you feel is the best. I probably do not need the 45ACP aftermarket barrel. According to one reply, seems like the KKM hold their value well.
CHris
Old 10-10-2012, 15:36   #35
kashdaddy
Glockaholic

KKM is the best bang for the bucks. with a KKM, a good trigger and a MGSL, you can shrink your group sizes in half at 15yds to 25 yds. do a search and see my review with pictures.
G17, G19, G27, G22, G34, G35, G21, AR-15, AK-47, SKS, Mossberg, Benelli, Tec9, Mac10, Dan Wesson, Para Ordnance, Wilson Combat 1911, Kimber .45, S&W, Taurus, Hi-Point, HK, Springfield, CZ, .308 Sniper Rifle, .243 Deer Rifle, Kimber Rifle, Colt .22
kashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:07   #36
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have a KKM for my G21 SBR with scope, bench rested 100 yards.

The groups change more by changing ammo than from changing the barrels. Some ammo shoots better in one barrel vs. the other.

If you are shooting lead, get the after market barrel. It is just good insurance. This is not to say I have not shot lead in my Glock and survived.

If you are going to use a suppressor....KKM all the way.

If you like to reload hot to OMG VERY HOT like have, then get the after market barrel with the best support possible.

The company was very good when I talked to them. I assume if I had an issue they would have made it right.

Beyond that.....I don't plan on buying after market barrels for the rest of the glock stable.