GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 20:52   #1
hpracing007

Anyone on here tutor before? Experience?

So I've started tutoring on the side and have tutored 2 students so far. One several times, 1 first time. But I have noticed something in common during my fact find?

Did you read the chapters? No x 2
Have you worked any problems? No x 2
What do you need help with? Everything! x 2
Do you know how to use your calculator? No x 2

Do ya'll have any tips? I mean, I want to help them pass (I don't think they care too much about the learning part). I've tried to appeal to interest, to reason, nothing. Who buys a book and doesn't even bother to read it, especially if they have no idea what's going on? I'm getting paid pretty decent but I want to at least earn it by them passing, which seems highly unlikely. Any tips?

Last edited by hpracing007; 10-08-2012 at 20:53..
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:00   #2
arclight610

They won't amount to anything unless they want to put forth the effort.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:03   #3
TheExplorer

You've got to come down to their level and empathize with them. "You were in that spot too and you know what it us like", comment. I always liked the "without a decent education, you will be working 5 times harder while earning less than the guy who went to school and studied" tactic.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:08   #4
Harper

These sound like high schoolers. You might talk to their parents unless you think that will jeopardize things. There really is no point in them getting tutoring if they aren't even trying.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:12   #5
hpracing007

They're college seniors. You'd think, "hey, if you don't pass, you don't get a bachelors degree" would motivate them (well I don't say it quite like that... maybe I should) Intro finance class, for those who are curious.

Last edited by hpracing007; 10-08-2012 at 21:13..
Old 10-08-2012, 21:37   #6
MrsKitty

I tutored basic math, algebra and geometry (plus English and science) for a while. All my students, with the exception of one, were adult GED seekers who had lost their jobs when factories closed. Some of them just could not understand no matter how hard they tried. I will say that no matter how hard they found what they were trying to learn, not a single one of them ever would admit defeat. They all kept trying.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:49   #7
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
They're college seniors. You'd think, "hey, if you don't pass, you don't get a bachelors degree" would motivate them (well I don't say it quite like that... maybe I should) Intro finance class, for those who are curious.
They shouldn't have got that far being so unmotivated.
Old 10-08-2012, 23:38   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
They shouldn't have got that far being so unmotivated.
I got seriously burnt out on school my senior year and bombed a class one semester away from graduating with a Bachelors degree. I stuck it out and graduated, but my grades were significantly lower last two years of college compared to my first two years.

If I could go back now I have a feeling I would have a 3.5GPA or higher without too much trouble.

I still wake up sweating a few times a year and jump out of bed thinking I am late for a final or have a paper due in a few hours, and its been years since I graduated.

Last edited by collim1; 10-08-2012 at 23:40..
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:13   #9
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

Holy poop stains

While their gray matter is still developing, for the most parts their brains now function in an adult like manner, versus the more emotional based thinking of a 17-19yr old.

With each of your charges you have to find something (or a couple of things) they really enjoy doing (outside of making out, drinking, gaming etc) and associate their progress/success of education with that.

If they are paying you to tutor them and they don't read the material they are shoving their money in a roaring furnace. When you sit with them have them read the required material out loud in short paragraphs, then do teach backs or Q & As to check for their comprehension and retention. Then if time remains, use that recent knowledge to attack questions relevant to what is read in your presence. At the very least they will leave you knowing some stuff, versus stumbling thru a session.

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21   #10
10-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
They won't amount to anything unless they want to put forth the effort.

That is the truth. A teacher can be the best ever, but with no participation by the parents and student, it is all lost.
10-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42   #11
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-S View Post
That is the truth. A teacher can be the best ever, but with no participation by the parents and student, it is all lost.
You must not say such things. Such truth is inconvenient to those who want to cut all govt. spending. They must justify firing teachers, etc. And one of their pet ways of justifying such firing is by saying that teachers are not effective because student test scores are not showing significant increases in performance. The teacher must always be described as the absolute significant factor in student performance. What you say is the truth. But to much political power is at stake for you to go around telling the truth. Just go along with the mythology... it's all the teachers fault.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54   #12
lwt210

I did tutor college kids back when I was in college too. Most of my students were student athletes and I had a good working relationship with the coaches.

Their coaches had my back. If I thought the student wasn't putting forth effort, the coaches would bench them at games. They had to keep a certain GPA to play and I didn't have too much of a problem getting effort out of them.

Without some motivating factor you may be paddling upstream. One would think that college seniors would be old enough to be motivated by a degree but that is not always the case.

if it were me, I would explain that even though I am being paid for my service, time is a valuable commodity. Without effort on the student's part, I would feel like time was being wasted.

Good luck with it. I would imagine that the frustration of it all is off the charts. I made pretty good money doing it back in the day so it would have been worth it to put up with. I had a good rep with the coaches and was known to "fix" problems. That brought in more work.

Back then, it was more of an issue of folks not knowing "how" to study and that was easy to correct. Sounds like you are dealing with laziness which will be a tough egg to crack at that age.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02   #13
BamaBud
NRA Life Member

I've experienced these kind of students.

You need to be careful, and set their expectations equal to whatever effort they put forth. Most students that "buy" tutoring seem to feel that the tutor is responsible for their passing a course. And when (not if) they don't, they usually blame the tutor.

If you don't manage their expectations, I would bet that some will even ask for their money back.

NRA Life Member
BamaBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:17   #14
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Just go along with the mythology... it's all the teachers fault.
Agreed but then you also have to accept it's not all the teacher's 'fault' when students succeed.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59   #15
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
If they don't care at that point F 'em. Let them pay you as long as they're willing.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." - JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." - OXCOPS
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
They're college seniors.
Tutoring college seniors? Thanks for helping to further devalue a college education. People who can't use a calculator or do their homework are not supposed to be admitted to college, much less graduate.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22   #17
Drain You
NRA member

Spend a tutoring session driving them past homeless people.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:23   #18
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
If they don't care at that point F 'em. Let them pay you as long as they're willing.
Oh, yeah, THIS. I thought you meant kids.

Separate them from their $
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26   #19
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Tutor someone who actually wants help?
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10   #20
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
... Intro finance class, for those who are curious.

I would begin the next session with:

"OK, I have tailored today's study to your specific needs, aptitude, and probable future. Shall we begin?

So... if the customer's order totals $3.55 cents and they drive up to your window and hand you a ten-dollar bill, two quarters, and a dime, how would you calculate their change?"

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12   #21
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Hand them back the two quarters and dime then make change for the $10.

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." - OXCOPS
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15   #22
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
Hand them back the two quarters and dime then make change for the $10.
So you're taking " Intro finance" also?

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44   #23
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Are either of the students hot chicks? That needs to be addressed.
Old 10-09-2012, 14:11   #24
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So you're taking " Intro finance" also?
If your average cashier had to make change in his head, what else would you expect?

Old 10-09-2012, 20:07   #25
hpracing007

great post ya'll... helpful to me. Some inspiring, some very funny.

random notes: it's a finance calculator they are having problems with. I got my first one about a year ago and I just rtfm. There's no way in hell I was going to figure out how to do anything on there without doing that. I told them the same, you're destined to fail if you don't know how to use it (how the hell else are you going to calc a monthly payment on a 30 yr mortgage in the time they give you).

Last, if anyone is single, and wants to meet chicks... this is the way to go. I think guys are hardheaded, at least i was, and don't need tutoring. Both chicks are hot to answer PB's question but I'm in a relationship.

Last edited by hpracing007; 10-09-2012 at 20:08..