Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 15:46   #176
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.
I take it you only hunt for rabbits and mice, and in places where nothing bigger even lives there?
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:01   #177
RonS

Classic example of why the anti gunners will probably win in the end; because they can hang each little faction one at a time. First the machine gun guys, then the assault rifle guys, then the CCH guys, then the hunters, then the guys who carry pocket knives.
Old 10-09-2012, 16:11   #178
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
My position on what gun to use is the same for hunting as it is for self-defense: Just shoot straight, and use enough gun!
I like that
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:36   #179
ignantmike

i've carried a pistol duck hunting.....not the place you think about running into a "wild" animal.....but, when you are by yourself.....know one ever knows what can happen......i've seen "shady" people in the parking area's.....some guy's even get robbed fishing in spot's going back to their cars....west branch resv. is one place.....
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:59   #180
RustyL

I realize not everyone has smart phones, this is a good app to buy....CCW Controls
RustyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:08   #181
fowl intent

Update: My buddy made bond yesterday, and got back home last night. He has to go back to Ohio next week for the arraignment, and the following week to handle the case. He has a local attorney, and it sounds like things will work out OK for him. As for the questions about why he didn't have a CC permit, he had planned to do it for months, but just never had the time to complete the course. I imagine it will be high on his priority list now.
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:38   #182
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowl intent View Post
Update: My buddy made bond yesterday, and got back home last night. He has to go back to Ohio next week for the arraignment, and the following week to handle the case. He has a local attorney, and it sounds like things will work out OK for him. As for the questions about why he didn't have a CC permit, he had planned to do it for months, but just never had the time to complete the course. I imagine it will be high on his priority list now.
What were his charges?
CCW or improper handling?

Sent from my PKE meter.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:03   #183
LINKz

Here in Colorado one can carry their firearm loaded in the car with no permit, because the person's vehicle is considered to be a part of their domicile. Lucky us
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764
LINKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:05   #184
frank4570
Feral human

You may want to explain to him that breaking laws can cause him legal trouble. Use little words if you have to.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:15   #185
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
You may want to explain to him that breaking laws can cause him legal trouble. Use little words if you have to.
do you know how many laws are broken daily that you dont know of ? we all break laws daily .
Old 10-09-2012, 19:18   #186
Just_plinking

Quote:
You may want to have someone explain to you what it is to be an American.
Old 10-09-2012, 19:28   #187
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_plinking View Post
You may want to have someone explain to you what it is to be an American.
Carrying a concealed handgun across state lines when you are ignorant of the laws? That's just asking for it.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:39   #188
s&wfan

Quote:
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.

You carry a handgun unloaded and locked in a case when you travel? Hope you never need it.

I try not to be negative or ugly to people, but your entire reply is ate up with it.
s&wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:55   #189
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Classic example of why the anti gunners will probably win in the end; because they can hang each little faction one at a time. First the machine gun guys, then the assault rifle guys, then the CCH guys, then the hunters, then the guys who carry pocket knives.
What makes it all the more disappointing is the abundance of "pro-gun" types on here who are so eager to blame the guy arrested for not knowing the law or having a permit.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:05   #190
skippz

Quote:
2 Points:

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.
This one really takes the cake... I was gonna say something but I think the other posters have covered it!!!

I think gun owners, whether military arms collectors, sportsmen, or cowboy action, should unify before all of us have to find another hobby!

I really hope this guy is shown some leneancy.
skippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:07   #191
skippz

Just to be clear, had this guy possessed a ccw permit, he could've had the gun loaded & concealed and been okay under OH law?
skippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:20   #192
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippz View Post
Just to be clear, had this guy possessed a ccw permit, he could've had the gun loaded & concealed and been okay under OH law?
so long as NC & OH have reciprocity, yes he wold have been fine. He could have had 10 loaded pistols and been fine.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 21:12   #193
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
If he still has the option after this.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 23:16   #194
Smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
OH and NC have reciprocity. I know because I'm from OH and went on vacation in western NC last month. The laws are stupid but your buddy should have his permit if he's going to carry.

I'm not sure you can call this a nightmare. Try to look at it from the officer's point of view. You have to be an idiot to try speeding in OH. Loaded handgun + no permit = felony around here.
There's no question, you speed on Ohio freeways at your peril.
Ohio isn't Michigan - Ohio's top speed would get you run over in MI.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 23:21   #195
Smithers

Quote:
It's kind of silly to go to an entirely different state while carrying a gun without researching the laws.
True, true.

We don't have the whole story here. Was it a local cop, Highway Patrol, etc ?

How did the cop know he had the gun? It's not their general rule to search your car.
Old 10-09-2012, 23:38   #196
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
True, true.

We don't have the whole story here. Was it a local cop, Highway Patrol, etc ?

How did the cop know he had the gun? It's not their general rule to search your car.
Reading is one of those life skills that sometimes helps add information and puts things in context.

POST #1!!

Quote:
Well, he got stopped for speeding, and I'm not sure how or why this came up, but he volunteered that he had a handgun in the car.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.

Last edited by DanaT; 10-09-2012 at 23:38..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 23:41   #197
Smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptomyneck View Post
IMO, the only POS in this whole scenario is the cop who arrested the OP's friend. Ruined a man's life for what? Admitting he had a big, scary gun. The pig should be ashamed of himself. But of course we know he won't. He generated revenue so it's all good.
The "pig" ?

What, are you twelve ?
Old 10-09-2012, 23:53   #198
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
What makes it all the more disappointing is the abundance of "pro-gun" types on here who are so eager to blame the guy arrested for not knowing the law or having a permit.
I think you missed the most obvious point. The officer went home safe that night.

Basically, most everyone here is willing to surrender someone elses rights / life to the govt. They know for sure they are not one of the bad guys and it wont happen to them....

Wait...I think I saw a writing somewhere before about this topic...let me think about it....it may come to me...

Its coming to me...its was something written by Martin Niemöller...
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 00:00   #199
Smithers

Quote:
If he is convicted of a felony involving a firearm, he can kiss that goodbye.
Old 10-10-2012, 00:06   #200
Smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
To me, it just seems like common sense. Having a loaded weapon in your car isn't the same thing as a missing mudflap.

The laws for transporting firearms between (within) states are pretty easy to find.

Would most posters here agree that we should be able to have most weapons anytime? I think so.

Unfortunately, that's not the way it is.

We have to live in the actual world , not what we think is ideal or "right" , even though it may well be.

Lecture over.