GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 20:31   #21
SRT76

-Had my wisdom teeth out. Before they created problems, but still about 15 years to late!
-Received my flu shot.
-Can't remember if I posted when she started, but my daughter has really developed her sewing skills by taking classes. She just finished her first quilt! Nice to have someone in the house with that ability.
Old 10-02-2012, 21:07   #22
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Yesterday evening installed the IR gear & Video on the PWS MK114 upper...

The items may look heavy, but actually are lightweight..
(the suppressor is THE elephant in that room )

Survival/Preparedness Forum

A close up of the new additions...

Here is a video of the setup while shooting a subsonic 5.56 round at dusk...

http://s6.beta.photobucket.com/user/...55f96.mp4.html

..notice I said "a" round..

..the 1st sound is of the bolt closing & the 2nd is the round being fired..

(amplified due to the camera mic set to max gain & the close proximity to the ejection port)

..basically the same sound....but very quiet to the ear!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 10-02-2012 at 21:24..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 15:15   #23
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
1. was examined by neurologist and referred to more doctors.
:
Good luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 15:54   #24
dissthis
Gun Fan

Joined the ar club...bought some ammo/sold some
ordered an iphone case/charger thingie

wife had baby (she was a surrogate) Everyone's fine...baby and family are happy...wife is recovering...I am just glad its over before the presidential election and what chaos may come from that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

dissthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:39   #25
SFCSMITH(RET)

Picked up 10 magpul 30 rounders today, $9 a piece, brand new in the bag.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:01   #26
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Thank G-D he was out of the 8500 lumen unit. I have 3 or 4 of his lesser powered units and they are already the cat's meow.

The following comments are for those of us who aren't experienced in flashlights. They are just tools. You may want a very low powered light on a key chain. For a number of years, a 35 lumen Surefire and then a 60 lumen Surefire were the best/brightest on the market. I thought that anything brighter was unnecessary. I thought this even after I went through the Surefire Institute training. Unfortunately, as I aged I came to understand that I needed much higher powered units to use at night to look in the car trunk, in the garage,etc. So, now I have 1000 lumen units in the cars and near the front door. 8500 lumens - $305! And out of stock too! Mamma Mia! That's a lot of groceries.
I have several of McGee Engineering flashlights. I am not 100% sold on them for SHTF reliability.

I sent one back for a bad switch within a few days of operation.
I have another one that was with me when I was in some water for an hour or so. It has had on and off reliability issues. (About the time I plan on sending it back it works.)
I have some others that are a little touchy when I replace the batteries. If I tighten everything up, it just doesn't work, but untwist it a little and ....it works.
Old 10-06-2012, 18:12   #27
Walk Soft

This.
http://Survival/Preparedness Forum
and this.
http://Survival/Preparedness Forum
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:56   #28
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

New vertical single rifle (Shotgun in this case) rack beside the bed. It's magnetic at the top, just a little, and holds the weapon well.

Always had the back up gun...

Because we are in training...

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25   #29
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I thought you was partial ta Hondas.'08.

All jokes aside,ours hangs at the bedroom door,that way it's read for either or.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:38   #30
Jumper

Hey LongGun - How does your MK114 work with your suppressor? The reason I ask is because I have an MK216 and want to run it suppressed. I asked PWS about it and they said some suppressors work fine and some dont. And they dont make an adjustable gas block. Thats a real nice setup BTW.

Preps for me this week: improved my relationship with local law enforcement, had one of the sheriff sergeants out to my house and did some shooting.
10 Ring Member #661944

You can have my guns when I run out of ammo. Which wont be happening anytime soon.
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:10   #31
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
wife and i are both less than a year away from graduating college. she nailed an interview and accepted a great internship that should lead to a great job.

picked up a '71 CJ5 that is going to be build into a "BOV" but mostly just for the heck of it fun trail rig. was initially thinking about a 4BT engine swap to make it EMP proof but the money probably isnt going to be there for that. need to keep looking for one.

right now im thinking more along the lines of a SBC though.

also picked up a like new mess kit at goodwill last night on a 50% off sale for .50 cents. its marked as a girl scouts version but its the basic cheap aluminum type that is a frying pan, plate and pot with a lid. similar to the cheapie colemans or whatever walmart would sell. its a decent backup set to throw in the truck when out hiking on day trips and such so its no big loss if its damaged.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47   #32
quake

It's been a week of modifying things.

Combined the holster bodies from a new survivalsheath rig onto a galco jackass harness for under-shirt carry of kahr cm9's; substantially easier to conceal than the old rig using glock 26's.

Tweaked the pocket clip on a microtech troodon pocket knife; reversing it for left-hand use and changing the shape somewhat. Seems like a silly, minor thing, but finally being willing to change it away from "factory NIB" status made the knife into something edc-usable for me, rather than just a safe-queen. (I'm becoming less & less enamored with 'safe queen' anythings as time goes on.)

Made substantial modifications to a PJ Holsters pocket holster. Originally had no front-side access to the gun; just thumb grab to pull it. Didn't like that, so used a dremel and a heat gun to make it more to my liking. I made a channel under the trigger guard and also made some slight changes in the angles of the molding; sharpening them some to make room for the channel. Sounds complicated but it's simple stuff; I just don't know how to describe it. Short version is, it made the holster much more usable. Not knocking PJ; they make some VERY good stuff, including some of the best iwb/tuckable holsters around imo. I have three of their holsters and this is the only one I've had any desire to change.

Received an O2-absorber order from sorbentsystems; waiting on a shipment of square buckets and then I've got some bucketing in my near future.

Also ordered LED upgrades for one of the stingers & a strion, but haven't received them yet.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:49   #33
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

This isn't so much of a post about this week, but a little project I am working on.

My wife, last year for Christmas, put together an amazing bug-out bag. She did it all by herself, researched, shopped around and did a terrific job. Was one of the best Christmas presents I had ever recieved.

Over the last year she kept hinting that she needs one now too (I wasnt really planning on bugging out with her, but I guess she is right... ). Just this weekend when she was inventorying food dates in "my" bag, she looks over and says ,"Your bag is about to burst. I think we need another one."

What she doesnt know is that I've spent the past couple of weeks putting one together for her.

It's in its infancy - a G2 light, water proof matches, first aid kit, mora knife, 50* sleeping bags, blister pads, extra set of clothes, feminine items, a small one quart kettle with nested cup and a surplus knife/fork/eating tool.

Every few days I add an item or two to it. Going to pick up a water filter/purifier and maybe a small two-person tent. I'm thinking of dropping a bottle of wine in to use with the nested, stainless wine glasses I picked up (overboard? Sure, but if the S hits the F, she works better relaxed.).

Still have a few months to go. She knows I am "building" something for her, and every day she asks me for a hint. Can't wait to give it to her.
Old 10-09-2012, 14:50   #34
BR549
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
rather than just a safe-queen. (I'm becoming less & less enamored with 'safe queen' anythings as time goes on.)
I don't know what a "safe queen" is...

I have many items which have never been used.....yet.....

...but a duplicate has been used or is being used....

... until maintenance is necessary without time to perform such maintenance....

...that's when the other (safe queen?) is pulled for use.

For me that might apply to knives, packs, stoves, sleeping bags, water filters, shelters, etc.

BTW, in a previous discussion I mentioned a SARsquatch. I believe the owner was myth, but I incorrectly attributed it to you.

Last edited by BR549; 10-09-2012 at 14:51..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:38   #35
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
Typically a collectible example of "whatever". An original Randall number 7, a gyrojet pistol, a never-worn watch, etc. I have pretty much none of that; like you, my stuff tends to get used.

Quote:
...BTW, in a previous discussion I mentioned a SARsquatch. I believe the owner was myth, but I incorrectly attributed it to you.
Could be myth. I believe LG1 also is into Busse's. I have two sasquatches; no SARsquatches.

Old 10-09-2012, 18:02   #36
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
Hey LongGun - How does your MK114 work with your suppressor? The reason I ask is because I have an MK216 and want to run it suppressed. I asked PWS about it and they said some suppressors work fine and some dont. And they dont make an adjustable gas block. Thats a real nice setup BTW.

Preps for me this week: improved my relationship with local law enforcement, had one of the sheriff sergeants out to my house and did some shooting.
Thanks!

Congrats on the MK216!

With the subsonics...

http://s6.beta.photobucket.com/user/...55f96.mp4.html

..1st sound is the bolt closing & 2nd is the shot fired.

Sound is much louder at the camera than the ear.

With XM193.....so far so good..

..no issues with gas blowback thru the ejection port..

..cycles fine also.

I will try to provide video at a later date.

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 10-09-2012 at 18:04..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48   #37
BR549
Thread Killer

Begin [SARCASM]

Quote:

End [SARCASM]

Begin [SARCASM]

The Queen is safe. Yes, the Queen is safe.

End [SARCASM]
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54   #38
quake

Bucketed up another ~350 lbs of staples; 15 four-gallon buckets of popcorn, field (dent) corn, pintos and pasta. After this batch I'm likely done with pintos possibly forever. Going to stick more with lentils instead as they take a lot less prep and cook time.

Old 10-17-2012, 21:08   #39
boone10
Glockeologist

Installed 1 of my 3 wood stoves in my fireplace, bought the supplies to pipe another out from under a covered porch for outside use. Cut and stacked more firewood. Rotated and filled some gasoline cans. Bought small propane tanks and will order a refill adapter tomorrow--my 20lb cylinders are full, but have little use for them. Called the propane company to come top off our 500 gallon propane tank. Moved more into kerosene this week. Found a steal (mispriced pallet) on 5 gallon cans and bought 6 more. The sign said $19.98 but rang up $44 each (that was the correct price). I offered to buy 2 at that price, but they insisted I get the 6 that I wanted at $19.98. Ordered and received spare wicks, etc. for my 2 propane heaters--also have lamps, lanterns and will order a cooker tomorrow. Even though I live in the Deep South, keeping my family warm has been on my mind lately and recent projects and purchases have surely reflected that. I'm sure I picked up a little ammo and several other things as we try to prep every day.

My wife brought in more food, medicines, solar and battery-type stuff. She studies and preps as hard as I do. I've got a good one for sure.
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 23:05   #40
Slackinoff

I felt compelled to face my fear of needles so I walked into a CVS, steeled myself, and got a flu shot.
I am also selling a nice fly reel a girl gave me. I might pick up some junk silver with whatever it goes for on ebay.