SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 13:59   #76
weagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
You honestly can't say that w/o discussing choke, it matters. Open riot choke @ 21ft, if the guy is wearing heavy clothing & big enough, it is NOT a game stopper, not by a lot. Anyone that hunts bigger birds knows this. If you are going to load #4 birdshot why not #4 buck? It's certainly going to get thru any clothing worn & even from a riot choke, those heavier pellets will certainly pentrate heavy muscle & bone. The only reason to choose birdshot is becasue it's all you have.
Choke means nothing at 7 yds. I load turkey loads because they are higher quality shells (high brass, more reliable feeding/ extraction) than most target loads. Buck shot will penetrate walls/ floors etc more effectively than bird shot. A real issue in my house. Once bird shot loads have passed through sheet rock, doors, floors etc they may still be dangerous, but much less lethal than buckshot.

At 21 feet a skeet load will render a canadian goose into mangled sack of goo, so I have no idea what you are talking about with regard to larger birds.
Certified Glock Armorer/GSSF Lifetime Member

Last edited by weagle; 10-10-2012 at 14:03..
weagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:11   #77
weagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
Debate this all you want, but for a little more money per round, WHY USE BIRD SHOT?
In my case it's because my house is 3 floors and many scenarios could have me shooting up and down stairwell/floors as well as out through many windows toward very nearby homes.

At 7 yds bird shot is very deadly on humans. At 40 yds or after passing through a solid barrier, much less so.

I have plenty of buckshot at home, so cost does not come into play. If there was a civil unrest scenario and I was having to defend against attackers from outside my home you can bet I'd switch to a rifle, or slugs and or buckshot as the situation dictated.

Last edited by weagle; 10-10-2012 at 14:18..
Old 10-10-2012, 14:32   #78
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by weagle View Post
Choke means nothing at 7 yds. I load turkey loads because they are higher quality shells (high brass, more reliable feeding/ extraction) than most target loads. Buck shot will penetrate walls/ floors etc more effectively than bird shot. A real issue in my house. Once bird shot loads have passed through sheet rock, doors, floors etc they may still be dangerous, but much less lethal than buckshot.

At 21 feet a skeet load will render a canadian goose into mangled sack of goo, so I have no idea what you are talking about with regard to larger birds.
To each his own. But I will shoot through sheet rock if he does not respond to my invitation to give me a clear shot................
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:37   #79
scccdoc

Quote:
In my case it's because my house is 3 floors and many scenarios could have me shooting up and down stairwell/floors as well as out through many windows toward very nearby homes.

At 7 yds bird shot is very deadly on humans. At 40 yds or after passing through a solid barrier, much less so.

I have plenty of buckshot at home, so cost does not come into play. If there was a civil unrest scenario and I was having to defend against attackers from outside my home you can bet I'd switch to a rifle, or slugs and or buckshot as the situation dictated.
As I said above,"to each his own". That post was written about 25 minutes ago but got hung up here before I could proof read and submit. Hope neither of us ever have to test out our theories.......... DOC
Old 10-10-2012, 14:43   #80
pokersamurai

IMO anything birdshot can do, buckshot can do better.

Also, to me the whole over-penetration thing seems to be blown way out of proportion. First of all, if you just hit what you're aiming at then over-penetration does not matter. A miss with birdshot is going to be way more dangerous than #1 buckshot (my preferred HD load) that hits the bad guy. Even if #1 buck does penetrate all the way through the BG and through a sheet rock wall it's going to have lost so much energy that its going to be no more dangerous than birdshot that misses.

The way I look at it, a person shot with birdshot MAY CHOOSE to stop after getting hit. However, a person shot with buckshot will usually have no choice in the matter.
Old 10-10-2012, 14:57   #81
weagle

[QUOTE=pokersamurai;19504354
The way I look at it, a person shot with birdshot MAY CHOOSE to stop after getting hit. [/QUOTE]

30 years of experience in a level 1 trauma center points out that is just not the case.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not arguing against the effectiveness of buckshot, it is devastating But for my house, my "things go bump in the night", home invasion scenario shotgun, the turkey loads are my first choice. I have zero reservations about their effectiveness at the ranges I would be using them.
Old 10-10-2012, 15:15   #82
pokersamurai

Quote:
30 years of experience in a level 1 trauma center points out that is just not the case.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not arguing against the effectiveness of buckshot, it is devastating But for my house, my "things go bump in the night", home invasion scenario shotgun, the turkey loads are my first choice. I have zero reservations about their effectiveness at the ranges I would be using them.
I understand completely, we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect your choice based on your experience and your HD application.

I hope neither of us ever find ourselves in a situation where we have to use our shotguns for self defense, but if we do I hope our loads work.
Old 10-10-2012, 17:53   #83
fredj338

Quote:

To say choke means nothing @ 7yds tells me you either do not test your sg loads or have never used an open/riot choke, Yes it matters. A mod choke will reduce the spread to 2-3" @ 21ft, that is signifcant. Again, I wet pheasant @ approx 50ft w/ mod choke & #6 & had most pellets stop inside the bird & many right under the skin, not comforting for SD, but hey, your life. My own test prove diff than complete obliteration of anything @ 21ft w/ an open/riot choke.
Caliber Corner Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner Caliber Corner
That was a #6 shot @ 21ft from a 870 riot bbl thru 2 layers of denim. Note none of the #6 went thru the ribs on the right. The left were smashed & broken using #4 buck. I know which would end the fight sooner than later. Yes choke matters at any distance but contact.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-11-2012 at 14:17..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:30   #84
Tiro Fijo

Birdshot in a pinch if nothing else is available, but #1 buck is the best of all.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:33   #85
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Birdshot in a pinch if nothing else is available, but #1 buck is the best of all.
#1 is indeed great.

How mine patterns at 75 feet

Caliber Corner

21 feet (plus some 00 to the cranium)
Caliber Corner

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 10-10-2012 at 18:34..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:10   #86
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
#1 is indeed great.

How mine patterns at 75 feet

Caliber Corner

21 feet (plus some 00 to the cranium)
Caliber Corner
Nice pics!
Old 10-11-2012, 13:11   #87
scccdoc

Here is a thread and a quote from earlier today...........

Chris Costa on HD shotguns and handguns

Also, itís worth noting that during my courses or when I shoot in my DVDs, every time I shoot Iím firing law enforcement rounds of 1600 feet/second slugs, or 1500/second 00 buck. Iím not going out there running birdshot; you know if we went out there and ran birdshot #7 or #8 I could actually employ the gun much faster. My whole goal is to demonstrate and teach whatís very realistic.
Old 10-12-2012, 14:12   #88
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
Here is a thread and a quote from earlier today...........

Chris Costa on HD shotguns and handguns

Also, itís worth noting that during my courses or when I shoot in my DVDs, every time I shoot Iím firing law enforcement rounds of 1600 feet/second slugs, or 1500/second 00 buck. Iím not going out there running birdshot; you know if we went out there and ran birdshot #7 or #8 I could actually employ the gun much faster. My whole goal is to demonstrate and teach whatís very realistic.
Nice link!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59   #89
Providence

It was an interesting read. I'm curious about his instruction to center the gun on your chest as much as possible? I have the Magpul video, but I don't remember that... Must have not paid enough attention.

He makes a good point about the pistol at night, clearing the house. I don't plan on any house clearing. We are going to retreat and defend from cover. DWHas the rifle and I have the SG. She is a deadly shot! So our philosophy is that out pistols are to get us to our long guns. I realize kids would complicate that, but ours are grown.

Please vote! It's that important!
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02   #90
Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
It was an interesting read. I'm curious about his instruction to center the gun on your chest as much as possible? I have the Magpul video, but I don't remember that... Must have not paid enough attention.

He makes a good point about the pistol at night, clearing the house. I don't plan on any house clearing. We are going to retreat and defend from cover. DWHas the rifle and I have the SG. She is a deadly shot! So our philosophy is that out pistols are to get us to our long guns. I realize kids would complicate that, but ours are grown.

sorry, I was referring to the Chris Costa interview.

Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:57   #91
SCmasterblaster

Oh I am going to vote for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post

For Romney!!!