GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 18:46   #51
Carry16

Took a CPR/AED course at the American Red Cross today, completed CERT training about 2 weeks ago and I'm currently in a 2 week First Responder class.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04   #52
thesurefire

Well I've noticed a few things aren't quite as I like them, so starting Monday morning I've cut out alcohol and am doing 3 simple workouts a week on MWF. 2 down 1 to go.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13   #53
Scarlett Harlot

Started the radiation treatments for my prostate cancer yesterday. It was either that or take up joggin. Chose the nuclear option.
Scarlett Harlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:55   #54
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have been using 150# hand grippers. 5x5, I have also been using rubber bands for the opposite direction. I need to build up this area to help with carpel tunnel.

I have been using a ball for a chair again at work. This should build up the core.

I haven't been riding because it has been cold and wet.
Old 10-15-2012, 22:21   #55
ric0123

I've gone a week without drinking any coca cola. I was a 3 coke a day guy.
Old 10-15-2012, 22:28   #56
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Lifting 3x / week, about 45 minutes,
Coaching soccer 2x/ week, hour workouts (I run with the kids, so my legs feel it)
Martial Arts as much as possible, including sparring weekly.

Also, vegetarian diet. Plenty of home-cooked, non-processed meals.

Doing ok for a 46 year old. I've got three boys, ages 1,4,9, so they keep me moving. We do sports daily, whether it is basketball, baseball, biking, running, or soccer (see above). Even on my days "off," my kids see to it that I get a workout in. I used to run marathons, but now I'm just doing easy runs here and there when I can fit them in....
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:00   #57
bdcochran

different response

Did 9 - 5:30 on Wednesday in dental chair. Then 1 hour of dance instruction. Followed by removal of the gall bladder at Kaiser Hospital. Now at home.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26   #58
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 21:03   #59
quake

At the risk of resurrecting a dead thread, it was either this or start a new one so....

Had a real reminder of the importance of natural, non-pharmaceutical medicine knowledge; ie, herbals, naturals, holistics, whatever we want to call them. Before I tell the result, the situation:

Short version - I thought I'd gone diabetic. Sunday afternoon a couple weeks ago, after a too-large dessert, I was just flat dizzy. Physically, head-rush dizzy, all afternoon. I made a point of avoiding sugar the rest of the day, took some zinc & other supplements, and it got a little better; but didn't go away completely. Frankly, while I was angry about crossing the diabetic threshold, I can't honestly say I was shocked, as I'm overweight & over fifty. Not hugely overweight, but some, not denying that; I've gone up two pants sizes in 30 years or so.

Anyway, dealt with what seemed like a perpetual headrush and worsened eyesight that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday; finally getting to my herbalist (who we affectionately call 'the witchdoctor') on Wednesday afternoon. Told him that I thought I'd gone diabetic and the reasons I thought so. After talking for just a minute & asking me a few more questions, he smiled & said, "You're not diabetic. You have a bladder infection." OK, that did sort of shock me. Shouldn't have; this guy has pulled full-on miracles out of his hat more than once for my family, but it did. Short version is that an infection meant my bladder had fermenting liquids building up in it, and I was basically walking around drunk without drinking anything. He suggested (and sold me) a supplement of zinc, rosehips, cranberry, and horehound, and told me to double-dose on them initially because of my existing infection and my size. I started taking them Wednesday afternoon. By lunch Thursday I was completely sober for the first time in days, and within a week, I was feeling better than I had in over a month, my eyesight was better than it'd been since before this all started, and it struck me how far "down" I'd been without realizing it. My secretary even noticed how much better I was recalling things than I had been for a while previously.

All that is to say that a simple herbal/mineral supplement - when applied with some knowledge - made a huge difference in my quality of life, and saved me from a doctor visit and likely some drugs I'd have been given. (Ever notice that 99% of the time, a "modern" doctor has exactly two answers? They either drug you cut on you; that's their solution almost always.)

Anyway, while not everyone is going to raise medicinal herbs or search the forest for them, some reading to obtain a knowledge base of the subject matter of minerals, supplements, etc can be time very-well spent.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 21:06   #60
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Any specific reading suggestions on that topic?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 22:59   #61
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Anyway, while not everyone is going to raise medicinal herbs or search the forest for them, some reading to obtain a knowledge base of the subject matter of minerals, supplements, etc can be time very-well spent.
herbs are the same as md prescribed pills.

You can eat willow bark or take it in pill form.
You can eat an orange or take vitamin C in pill form.
Old 11-10-2013, 14:53   #62
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Any specific reading suggestions on that topic?
Best off the top of my head would be "The Herb Book" if it's still available. My copy is from the 70's. Also, the herbalist I mentioned above has three or four very good self-published books, but I don't know if he sells them on his website or not; would very well worth checking it out & even calling their number if you can't find them. (Barry is a little eccentric and doesn't take phone calls, but the lady who works for him does & could tell you if his books are still available.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
herbs are the same as md prescribed pills.

You can eat willow bark or take it in pill form.
You can eat an orange or take vitamin C in pill form.
True to a degree - willow bark vs. aspirin pills, etc; but very often the things a doctor uses are far different, not only in formulation, but in approach, than any natural curative.

A personal example - when our youngest son was born, he had a reaction any time metal touched his skin. He'd have little red rings on his skin everywhere the snaps on his one-piece baby outfits touched his skin. This went on for probably 8-10 years, with my wife sewing patches over the snaps, etc; even to the age where she was sewing patches over the inside part of his jeans' buttons, or he'd get a red spot where that metal touched him. Over those years (bearing in mind, my wife worked at Children's Hospital and we'd never heard of this herbalist at the time) we'd had him in to see doctors many times. They tried all kinds of allergy treatments, steroid creams, all kinds of things; none of which helped much. One conversation with the herbalist and he suggested it might be a thyroid (iirc) issue. Had our son start taking kelp and in less than a week was completely symptom-free; after years (and thousands of dollars) spent on doctor visits and "modern" treatments.

Not meaning to completely bash modern medicine, because there's been huge, life-saving progress made in the field. Just suggesting that it's a good idea to have a personal knowledge base and skillset in that area; not much different than having the knowledge & ability to make a loaf of bread. I like store-bought bread, but think it's a good idea to be able to make our own if need be.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote