Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43   #41
gunslinger3
Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a Stairmaster at home. So I step level 9 (150 flights/3 miles) two days then run 5K the third day. Rest the forth and then repeat. Pull ups and push ups on the workout days.

Besides walking my GSD daily

ETA: Also have not had a soda since last February.

Last edited by gunslinger3; 09-26-2012 at 12:03..
gunslinger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56   #42
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

I have been drinking beer. There are studies which suggest that beer will flush the kidneys which is a good thing.
Beer also is on record for providing vitamin B6, B12, ect, and beer will raise the level of joy in one's life which translates into lowering blood pressure.

Some insist that ale is more beneficial, but I prefer lager.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11   #43
BobbyT

Ok the "fit vs healthy" hypotheticals here are more than a little overboard.

Can you be fit with some internal problems? Sure. Is it at all likely you're a ticking time bomb if you're ripped? No way.

Ranting about some miniscule fraction of an already small number of ripped people being unhealthy is like hearing the media go on about the "epidemic" of girls with anorexia. Yes there are a couple of cases, but given how massively outweighed they are by EVERYONE ELSE it's a joke to try to shift the focus to that "problem".

Most people eat far more calories than they use, aren't physically active, and continue to store away excess fat. Gaining muscle and losing fat, getting stronger while dropping their mile times, is about the most positive thing they can do for themselves.

Fitness and health may not be identical, but the correlation has to be 90+%.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 13:38   #44
NOLA_glock
Shrug Life

A friend of mine and I run about 6 miles a week, and I do overall free-weight exercises every other day.

I lost 40 lbs before leaving my job for school about 2.5 years ago, and slowly gained about 30 back once in school (pretty active job, combined with getting careless with how much I ate). Last semester and over the summer, I dropped them again, and have been much more vigilant about my intake.

ಠ_ಠ
NOLA_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 21:59   #45
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

I realized how carried away I'd gotten with drinking Diet Pepsi this week. I kept finding better deals on bigger cartons and that led me to continually drinking more and more. I decided I was tired of it and starting Monday, I've had one can with lunch and another with dinner and that's how it's gone all week. Bottled water is free while at work and at home, we have a through-the-door dispenser on the refrigerator. For the last few months, I was putting away 36 cans in a week or so. I've been nowhere near as thirsty or hungry this week. Energy levels and sleep have been the same. Assuming I keep it up (looks very likely), I'll also save $20-$30 this month.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Kevin108; 09-27-2012 at 22:01..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 19:51   #46
Simpleman71

I lift weights 2 hours a day five days a week, cardio 4 days a week split up between biking, running 3-6 miles. I am 41 years old an in the best shape of my life. I don't eat fried or junk food, no alcohol or tobacco. I've even noticed that my fitness level gives me an edge during my uspsa matches. Lots of overweight people trying to run those stages.
Simpleman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44   #47
pugman

Just finished my first Tough Mudder about a month ago; spent 11 months training and went from not being able to run 20 minutes on a treadmill to completing a 11.5 mile course, attempting every obstacle (just didn't have the reach for the rings). During training I was in the gym 1-2 hours a day 6-7 days a week.

Spent about 3 weeks staying out of the gym..just started getting back in 8-9 days ago.

Now the goal is to up my time for the next go around. We finished below average in 2 hours 32 minutes but I always felt I needed to save myself - now that I know what to expect I'm sure I will shave 15 minutes off my time - 7 months and counting

Like Simpleman I'm in the best shape of my life at 43 - unlike Simple I eat and drink whatever the heck I want - I just generally don't want a lot of crappy food (and I don't smoke and a 6 pack usually lasts a week or more). I endulge in fast food about once a month (I just get a craving for it)

My routine is cardio/weights & cardio/yoga alternating days. I was surprised how much the yoga helped with the mudder. The cardio only day is what I call a long burn...90 minutes on a treadmill, 8-9 miles...1000-1100 calories burned (well, at least its what the machine says).

My big problem is I want lean muscle so on many of the machines I think I've peaked

Last edited by pugman; 10-09-2012 at 11:53..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:39   #48
bdcochran

different response

Health is the absence of disease.

Physical fitness is not the same concept. Physical fitness may retard or prevent certain diseases.

Some exercises are specific to certain sports or to rehabilitation.

General strength conditioning exercises need only be done once a week or about every ten days.

Cutting off food is more effective than thinking that a person will burn significant amounts of calories through exercise. This is why I see people at the YMCA daily who exercise, but look like they are about to deliver twins -and they are either males or females over the age of 50!

Get rid of the television set, get rid of the refrigerator, only walk to the supermarket and carry back what you can carry, walk the stairs. Gee! Sounds like the typical Frenchman in Paris.

In the former Chunking, Red China, elevators in apartment complexes are not programmed to stop before the 10th floor. The woman with the best legs I have every seen was a tour guide who lived on the 9th floor with her husband.

Today, I did over 2 hours at the YMCA. I have multiple doctor and dentist appointment scheduled for the balance of the month. Health is not the same as physical fitness, they overlap only in a small part.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:03   #49
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Health is the absence of disease.

Physical fitness is not the same concept. Physical fitness may retard or prevent certain diseases.
Agree.

Quote:
General strength conditioning exercises need only be done once a week or about every ten days.
This depends on your goal. I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week while training; left for about three weeks and just got back into it. I can feel I have lost a step in regards to what I was lifting before. It won't take long to get back to where I was at - but if your goal is strength conditioning once a week will not cut it. And I guarantee the next day you will feel like a pile of wet newspaper.

Quote:
Cutting off food is more effective than thinking that a person will burn significant amounts of calories through exercise. This is why I see people at the YMCA daily who exercise, but look like they are about to deliver twins -and they are either males or females over the age of 50!
I see these types all the time - they are either 1) not doing the right types of cardio 2) not doing it reach a target heart rate 3) not doing it each time or long enough.

Edit: 4) You are seeing them at the gym and they are socializing. I see a LOT of these folks. They go to the gym...but they don't go to workout. They hit a machine, set some low weight, do a few reps, move to another machine, check out the TVs - they are there 30-60 minutes and don't do anything. For the record, my very small gym makes it impossible not to notice these people (I go to a SNAP Fitness in a strip mall)

A coworker of mine walks 2-3 miles a night and can't understand why she isn't losing weight. The walking IS good for her and burns calories but she isn't reaching a "burn zone." A rule of thumb is a 180# person burns 100 calories per mile walked. Come back and say you "earned" a piece of cake or drink a coke instead of a zero calorie water and you have blown it.

YMMV, but I was running a lot (to me at least) to condition for my race. Anywhere from 30-40 miles a week. I would run 8-9 miles on a treadmill and the machine said I was burning upwards of 1100 calories in those 90 minutes. Doing this several times a week along with my regular exercise and I could eat whatever I wanted....

Like sit down and eat a half gallon of ice cream. I'm 5'8 and a trim 185-190#s.

This said, I just read the "perfect" amount of exercise time is 30 minutes (not the hour they tote.) On average, people who exercise 30 minutes a day tend to do more stuff after the exercise. Those doing an hour generally came home and hit the couch. Overall, the people doing 30 minutes did it more intensively, hit better heart rates and burned more calories through a normal day.

Last edited by pugman; 10-09-2012 at 16:16..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:39   #50
wlkjr

Having my gall bladder sucked out tomorrow, does that count?
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:46   #51
Carry16

Took a CPR/AED course at the American Red Cross today, completed CERT training about 2 weeks ago and I'm currently in a 2 week First Responder class.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04   #52
thesurefire

Well I've noticed a few things aren't quite as I like them, so starting Monday morning I've cut out alcohol and am doing 3 simple workouts a week on MWF. 2 down 1 to go.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13   #53
Scarlett Harlot

Started the radiation treatments for my prostate cancer yesterday. It was either that or take up joggin. Chose the nuclear option.
Scarlett Harlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:55   #54
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have been using 150# hand grippers. 5x5, I have also been using rubber bands for the opposite direction. I need to build up this area to help with carpel tunnel.

I have been using a ball for a chair again at work. This should build up the core.

I haven't been riding because it has been cold and wet.
Old 10-15-2012, 22:21   #55
ric0123

I've gone a week without drinking any coca cola. I was a 3 coke a day guy.
Old 10-15-2012, 22:28   #56
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Lifting 3x / week, about 45 minutes,
Coaching soccer 2x/ week, hour workouts (I run with the kids, so my legs feel it)
Martial Arts as much as possible, including sparring weekly.

Also, vegetarian diet. Plenty of home-cooked, non-processed meals.

Doing ok for a 46 year old. I've got three boys, ages 1,4,9, so they keep me moving. We do sports daily, whether it is basketball, baseball, biking, running, or soccer (see above). Even on my days "off," my kids see to it that I get a workout in. I used to run marathons, but now I'm just doing easy runs here and there when I can fit them in....
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:00   #57
bdcochran

different response

Did 9 - 5:30 on Wednesday in dental chair. Then 1 hour of dance instruction. Followed by removal of the gall bladder at Kaiser Hospital. Now at home.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26   #58
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 22:03   #59
quake

At the risk of resurrecting a dead thread, it was either this or start a new one so....

Had a real reminder of the importance of natural, non-pharmaceutical medicine knowledge; ie, herbals, naturals, holistics, whatever we want to call them. Before I tell the result, the situation:

Short version - I thought I'd gone diabetic. Sunday afternoon a couple weeks ago, after a too-large dessert, I was just flat dizzy. Physically, head-rush dizzy, all afternoon. I made a point of avoiding sugar the rest of the day, took some zinc & other supplements, and it got a little better; but didn't go away completely. Frankly, while I was angry about crossing the diabetic threshold, I can't honestly say I was shocked, as I'm overweight & over fifty. Not hugely overweight, but some, not denying that; I've gone up two pants sizes in 30 years or so.

Anyway, dealt with what seemed like a perpetual headrush and worsened eyesight that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday; finally getting to my herbalist (who we affectionately call 'the witchdoctor') on Wednesday afternoon. Told him that I thought I'd gone diabetic and the reasons I thought so. After talking for just a minute & asking me a few more questions, he smiled & said, "You're not diabetic. You have a bladder infection." OK, that did sort of shock me. Shouldn't have; this guy has pulled full-on miracles out of his hat more than once for my family, but it did. Short version is that an infection meant my bladder had fermenting liquids building up in it, and I was basically walking around drunk without drinking anything. He suggested (and sold me) a supplement of zinc, rosehips, cranberry, and horehound, and told me to double-dose on them initially because of my existing infection and my size. I started taking them Wednesday afternoon. By lunch Thursday I was completely sober for the first time in days, and within a week, I was feeling better than I had in over a month, my eyesight was better than it'd been since before this all started, and it struck me how far "down" I'd been without realizing it. My secretary even noticed how much better I was recalling things than I had been for a while previously.

All that is to say that a simple herbal/mineral supplement - when applied with some knowledge - made a huge difference in my quality of life, and saved me from a doctor visit and likely some drugs I'd have been given. (Ever notice that 99% of the time, a "modern" doctor has exactly two answers? They either drug you cut on you; that's their solution almost always.)

Anyway, while not everyone is going to raise medicinal herbs or search the forest for them, some reading to obtain a knowledge base of the subject matter of minerals, supplements, etc can be time very-well spent.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 22:06   #60
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Any specific reading suggestions on that topic?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote