Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 22:17   #1
DaBurna

Anyone Carried in a Post Office?

I know it's a HUGE "NO-NO!!" I had someone admit to me he did accidentally as he was out running errands and such... He got to the counter to buy a book of stamps... Then it hit him as he went to get the money out of his pocket.... An LCP!!!

He played it off and no one notices. Needless to say the SCARE of his life....I told him "U dodged a bullet today dude!!"

I told him "LESSON LEARNED" stop, think, and read signs! In addition OBEY FEDERAL LAW!! I liken his experience to a kid cutting the tag off a pillow or mattress!

Be careful & stay vigilant fellas!!
DaBurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:21   #2
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Concealed is concealed

OH and IBTL

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW

Last edited by Dalton Wayne; 10-10-2012 at 22:21..
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:11   #3
Whitey1
Large Member

So how many stamps did you buy today?
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:41   #4
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
So how many stamps did you buy today?
LOL none today Monday is the day I go to the PO

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:08   #5
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurna View Post
I know it's a HUGE "NO-NO!!" I had someone admit to me he did accidentally as he was out running errands and such... He got to the counter to buy a book of stamps... Then it hit him as he went to get the money out of his pocket.... An LCP!!!

He played it off and no one notices. Needless to say the SCARE of his life....I told him "U dodged a bullet today dude!!"

I told him "LESSON LEARNED" stop, think, and read signs! In addition OBEY FEDERAL LAW!! I liken his experience to a kid cutting the tag off a pillow or mattress!

Be careful & stay vigilant fellas!!
Would you mind pointing out the federal law that was supposedly broken when he carried into the post office, please?

I'm curious.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:10   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

I'll even spot you one but it does have an exception and if I'm not mistaken purchasing stamps is a legitimate purpose for going into a post office.

39 CFR 232.1:
(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14   #7
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Yeah, HerrGlock's got ya!

LEGAL carry inside a post office is not a, 'huge no-no'. The prohibition against post office carry is not a federal law. It is a federal regulation which, in strict point-of-fact, cannot be federally enforced inside any post office building. Why? Because the post office is not a federal organization; and post office buildings are not owned by the federal government. The United States Post Office is a privately-held corporation. All you're doing when you LEGALLY carry inside a post office is disobeying the property owner's wishes.

Disallowing (otherwise) legally carried firearms in post offices is an example of what is called, 'national fiat legislation'. This rule is a residual government regulation, passed without valid congressional consent, and left over from the antithetical 1990's Clinton administration.

(Besides, as every well-informed American citizen knows: It's the guys ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE POST OFFICE COUNTER that you really have to worry about!)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 10-11-2012 at 04:20..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:24   #8
CA Escapee
Finally!

There's a lawsuit in Denver against the USPS by a husband and wife based on violation of 2A rights. The USPS, naturally, argued to a judge that it should be tossed out. The judge said, nope, it's valid and is allowing it to continue.

Edit: The most recent action in the case was months ago, but as I recall the rep from the USPS said something like, our customers have to feel safe when they come to the Post Office. Yeah right, their customers except those that can legally carry and have to leave their fireams in their vehicles, which is exactly what the husband argued. The judge must have thought the husband had a valid point; he gave the green light and allowed the lawsuit to go forward.

Bill

Last edited by CA Escapee; 10-11-2012 at 06:05.. Reason: Trying to type at 0530 in the morning.
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29   #9
AtlantaR6

My GA ccw has some restrictions clearly stated but a post office isn't one. There's a reason for that.

Are you the same guy who went off because your friend posted on Facebook he was going to a CCW class?
AtlantaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49   #10
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Escapee View Post
There's a lawsuit in Denver against the USPS based on violation of 2A rights by a husband and wife.. The USPS, naturally, argued to a judge that it should be tossed out. The judge said, nope, it's valid and is allowing it to continue.
Yup, I'm watching that one closely.

So far there's only one case I'm aware of that went to the Supreme Court with ONLY a firearm on P.O. property charge.

Drug dealer on the property, some other stuff went on, they busted him because he had a handgun in the car. Court ruled "the parking lot is not a facility" so even if the US Code were in force for the P.O. the parking lot wasn't covered so his conviction was overturned.

I really need to find that one again. Took me months to find it before and I didn't bookmark it. Riggin' friggin'...

So this Denver one and the one in Louisiana are the only two alive right now that I can find without too much looking.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51   #11
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Yeah, HerrGlock's got ya!

LEGAL carry inside a post office is not a, 'huge no-no'. The prohibition against post office carry is not a federal law. It is a federal regulation which, in strict point-of-fact, cannot be federally enforced inside any post office building. ...

That sounds really cool. I however might be reluctant to attempt to offer that up to either the US Postal Police or the US Postal Inspection Service just in case they have a slightly different interpretation of whether or not they can enforce that section of Title 18. I wonder when they arrest someone for burglarizing a USPS facility or for committing an armed robbery at a Post Office whether they prosecute that as a federal or state crime?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-11-2012 at 05:57..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58   #12
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
I'll even spot you one but it does have an exception and if I'm not mistaken purchasing stamps is a legitimate purpose for going into a post office.

39 CFR 232.1:
(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Any chance that there is a slight difference between the two words, legitimate and official?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07   #13
boomhower

I do. While inside the state I can carry anywhere except federal property. As pointed out the post office isn't federal property.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17   #14
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Any chance that there is a slight difference between the two words, legitimate and official?
May be but if you're going into a post office for stamps, isn't that one of the official uses of a post office?

This one's going to get into the courts a few times before it's ironed out. Right now even the post office is posting horse feathers with some of the signs actually stating the US Code forbids carry there.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:19   #15
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
That sounds really cool. I however might be reluctant to attempt to offer that up to either the US Postal Police or the US Postal Inspection Service just in case they have a slightly different interpretation of whether or not they can enforce that section of Title 18. I wonder when they arrest someone for burglarizing a USPS facility or for committing an armed robbery at a Post Office whether they prosecute that as a federal or state crime?
What on earth does Title 18 have to do with carrying in a post office? Please answer this question.

Burglarizing, yes, it's stated that interference with mail is a federal offense, but that's not the point and has nothing to do with carrying in a post office.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21   #16
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
May be but if you're going into a post office for stamps, isn't that one of the official uses of a post office?

This one's going to get into the courts a few times before it's ironed out. Right now even the post office is posting horse feathers with some of the signs actually stating the US Code forbids carry there.
I guess you could say that, but when I read it, I took "official" to mean LE.

Until it is clear, I don't think I will be carrying there anytime soon.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:25   #17
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Here, I'll help you out too.

Here are all the US Code sections that are in Title 18 and have to do with mail and mail property:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/te...t-I/chapter-83

Theft, destruction, mailing firearms, falsification, obstruction of mail, etc are all covered. Those are exactly what you're talking about with the burglarizing of the USPS facility.

Now, show me where any of that has anything to do with carrying a firearm on USPS property, please.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27   #18
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Shark View Post
I guess you could say that, but when I read it, I took "official" to mean LE.

Until it is clear, I don't think I will be carrying there anytime soon.
Have at it. No one's talking about personal preference. Free country and all that.

The question in here is whether it's federally legal to carry in one.

There are some states that forbid it, those are black and white illegal to do so and not an issue.

I'm hoping someone can show me where it's federally illegal to do so.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53   #19
BADOS

I can't remember the last time I went to a post office. If I need stamps, I get 'em at the food market, LOL. I CC everywhere except, bars, airport and the court house. Who will "yell" at me for something they don't see?
BADOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54   #20
molar

Quote:
Have at it. No one's talking about personal preference. Free country and all that.

The question in here is whether it's federally legal to carry in one.

There are some states that forbid it, those are black and white illegal to do so and not an issue.

I'm hoping someone can show me where it's federally illegal to do so.
I, for one, am not willing to be a test case.
molar is offline   Reply With Quote