Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:18   #1
4Rules

Aurora Shooting Survivor Begs Our Next President For Gun Control

In the chilling ad (Published to YouTube on Sep 30, 2012 by maigcoalition), Stephen Barton sits alone in an empty theater before showing off the long scars that cover his neck. He asks Americans to "demand a plan" for gun control violence and keep "The Dark Knight Rises" shooting in mind when watching Wednesday's presidential debate.
http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-bartons-gun-control-ad-2012-10

Last edited by 4Rules; 10-03-2012 at 09:22..
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29   #2
CanMan

I can see the passion in his plea... but more 'gun control' will fix gun violence about as well as Obama has fixed unemployment. Why is Mr. Holmes still with us anyway?
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31   #3
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

What he should do is ask the doctors who medicated the shooter to be jailed. Just about all of these insane shootings involve prescription medications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24   #4
eb07
Sharkin'

Laws, regulations, and an army of police officers will not protect you from a violent, dedicated attacker. Training and arming yourself will. Why don't people get this?
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28   #5
PhotoFeller

What if someone started a campaign against easy availability of alcohol featuring families of victims of drunk driving accidents? An extension of this effort could expose brutal deaths through beatings at the hands of drunken relatives and strangers.

A campaign against cell phones could spotlight people who lost love ones in accidents caused by texting drivers.

Alcohol, cell phones and guns don't kill people, its the fools who abuse them that do. Why is this so hard to comprehend? Why do gun killings arouse so much emotion while drunk driving killings do not? Drunk drivers kill far more victims than shootings, but society doesn't seem to notice. Is this another manifestation of liberal media focus?

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-03-2012 at 10:33..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33   #6
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I'm serious, most of these crazed shooters were on PRESCRIPTION DRUGS, why hasn't anyone gone after big pharma?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:17   #7
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
I'm serious, most of these crazed shooters were on PRESCRIPTION DRUGS, why hasn't anyone gone after big pharma?

Because big pharma has WAY too much money behind them. Nobody is willing or able to fight them. And concerning alcohol, people already hold the drinkers responsible. It's a double standard.
so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19   #8
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
Because big pharma has WAY too much money behind them. Nobody is willing or able to fight them. And concerning alcohol, people already hold the drinkers responsible. It's a double standard.
I think it's because big pharma has our politicians in their pockets. I think that the victims should do a class act on them, it's really their fault.

Old 10-03-2012, 13:05   #9
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

Class actions are symbolic. The victims don't get anything, just the attorneys on both sides. To get at big pharma, it needs to be a HUGE award to one victim and it needs to be all over the media. It'll never happen.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:21   #10
F350

I read the other day a newspaper story that stated this guy works for Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" so it is not like a sudden conversion for him.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:27   #11
PhotoFeller

Quote:
"... concerning alcohol, people already hold the drinkers responsible. It's a double standard".
I don't understand your point, Captain. Shooters are held accountable under the law. Drunk drivers are held accountable, too. Where is the double standard?

My point was that guns get as much attention as the shooters who use them (the firearm make, model, magazine capacity, number of guns involved, number of bullets carried by the shooter and stashed in his vehicle, etc.). Aside from the efforts of MADD, alcohol gets a free pass when drunk driver accidents occur, and nobody launches a campaign for tougher alcohol control legislation.

Go figure.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-03-2012 at 14:33..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:14   #12
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
In the chilling ad (Published to YouTube on Sep 30, 2012 by maigcoalition), Stephen Barton sits alone in an empty theater before showing off the long scars that cover his neck. He asks Americans to "demand a plan" for gun control violence and keep "The Dark Knight Rises" shooting in mind when watching Wednesday's presidential debate.

Clueless "Sheep" trying to increase the size of the herd.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47   #13
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
I don't understand your point, Captain. Shooters are held accountable under the law. Drunk drivers are held accountable, too. Where is the double standard?

My point was that guns get as much attention as the shooters who use them (the firearm make, model, magazine capacity, number of guns involved, number of bullets carried by the shooter and stashed in his vehicle, etc.). Aside from the efforts of MADD, alcohol gets a free pass when drunk driver accidents occur, and nobody launches a campaign for tougher alcohol control legislation.

Go figure.

That's exactly what I was saying. In a shooting, the tool gets as much if not more blame, as the user of that tool. In a drunk driving case, it's all the user not the tool or tools. Don't forget the vehicle.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03   #14
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Class actions are symbolic. The victims don't get anything, just the attorneys on both sides. To get at big pharma, it needs to be a HUGE award to one victim and it needs to be all over the media. It'll never happen.
I hope one day it does, actually, I hope it happens all the time!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:04   #15
Psychman
NRA Life Member

So the fact that Holmes abused narcotic pain medications and went out and shot people means the drug companies are to blame? What a simplistic thought.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.

Last edited by Psychman; 10-11-2012 at 09:08..
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post

Good. If that idiot can get Obama to say something anti-gun, he'll pretty much guarantee himself a loss. By the way, being a crime vicitm doesn't make you any more of an expert on crime than you were before.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:44   #17
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Good. If that idiot can get Obama to say something anti-gun, he'll pretty much guarantee himself a loss. By the way, being a crime vicitm doesn't make you any more of an expert on crime than you were before.
In this case his initial victimization does appear to be making him a professional victim.................

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06   #18
MAC702

It was "gun control" that required him to be an unarmed victim in a room full of unarmed victims. I don't get it...

Since the guns were ALREADY illegal in that theater, maybe they should just outlaw murder.

"It doesn't matter how many people I've killed. What matters is how I get along with the people who are still alive." - Jimmy the Tulip

Last edited by MAC702; 10-11-2012 at 12:07..
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:07   #19
MAC702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
...By the way, being a crime vicitm doesn't make you any more of an expert on crime than you were before.
Indeed. It is proof that you are NOT.

"It doesn't matter how many people I've killed. What matters is how I get along with the people who are still alive." - Jimmy the Tulip
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23   #20
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Clueless "Sheep" trying to increase the size of the herd.
That safety in numbers thing methinks.