Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 18:56   #1
countrygun

you can't make this stuff up

My wife just got back from the store. She picked up a rather conservative book there. In the checkout, the clerk and the wife were commenting on it and my wife said something about Conservatives having a higher literacy rate (in jest) from behind her a 20something bimbo popped up with,

"that's not true liberals are a lot more literate, they just don't read as much"

Last edited by countrygun; 10-11-2012 at 18:56..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 19:32   #2
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
My wife just got back from the store. She picked up a rather conservative book there. In the checkout, the clerk and the wife were commenting on it and my wife said something about Conservatives having a higher literacy rate (in jest) from behind her a 20something bimbo popped up with,

"that's not true liberals are a lot more literate, they just don't read as much"

That, in itself, is very profound. It does bring up a related thought.......It seems to me that liberals, by their very nature, view themselves as having superior intellect. How they view themselves, as opposed to how others see their obvious assets, are two entirely different things.

This is not to say that those on the right have a monopoly on intelligence, either. Many on the right, and left, fall for the left's basic principle......."If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with Bullsxxt"!

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05   #3
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post

That, in itself, is very profound. It does bring up a related thought.......It seems to me that liberals, by their very nature, view themselves as having superior intellect. How they view themselves, as opposed to how others see their obvious assets, are two entirely different things.

This is not to say that those on the right have a monopoly on intelligence, either. Many on the right, and left, fall for the left's basic principle......."If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with Bullsxxt"!

ooc
It is illustrative of the ideological mindset. It does not matter what kind of ideology it is because all of them have reasons why their followers and only their followers know the truth. Therefore, any non follower can have a high IQ and high level of education but still "know" less than any follower. By "knowing" more, followers are naturally more literate and they don't need to read more books because they already know that they know best what is good for them and every one else.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:11   #4
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
It is illustrative of the ideological mindset. It does not matter what kind of ideology it is because all of them have reasons why their followers and only their followers know the truth. Therefore, any non follower can have a high IQ and high level of education but still "know" less than any follower. By "knowing" more, followers are naturally more literate and they don't need to read more books because they already know that they know best what is good for them and every one else.

English
Occam's razor. I don't think she knew the definition of "literate". Either way ........
Old 10-12-2012, 13:57   #5
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Occam's razor. I don't think she knew the definition of "literate". Either way ........
That's the way I took it, too. The young liberal lady has literacy confused with intelligence.....which is why I went off on the tangent I did. To my thinking, literacy and intelligence aren't dependent on the other.......it's very common to have one, without the other.

It's also very common, in my opinion, that liberalism attracts many followers who think of themselves as having exceptional intellect......when, in fact, they are nothing but theorists who don't have the sense to correctly apply theory to facts and history.......

ooc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-12-2012, 14:10   #6
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
That's the way I took it, too. The young liberal lady has literacy confused with intelligence.....which is why I went off on the tangent I did. To my thinking, literacy and intelligence aren't dependent on the other.......it's very common to have one, without the other.

It's also very common, in my opinion, that liberalism attracts many followers who think of themselves as having exceptional intellect......when, in fact, they are nothing but theorists who don't have the sense to correctly apply theory to facts and history.......

ooc
She struck me as the type I often run into and the wonderful analytical abilites that they have been inculcated with.

I make a statement , like,

"I don't think the school system is doing as good a job as it used to in imparting analytical abilities to people these days"

They reply,

"That's not true"

I ask,

"how do you know"

they answer,

"Because I didn't have a problem with it in school"

Old 10-12-2012, 14:35   #7
Guss

http://www.watchblog.com/democrats/archives/005153.html
Matching voting trends with education shows education is kryptonite to Republicans.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:46   #8
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guss View Post
Matching voting trends with education shows education is kryptonite to Republicans.
I feel like getting religion and saying,

"I ask the Lord for an example and he delivered me Guss, Hallaleujah!"
Old 10-12-2012, 14:48   #9
ModGlock17

Was she a blond ???? Blond moment ?
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:16   #10
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
I am not that educated - just a BS in engineering. Yet I am conservative, successful, literate and intellectual. Weird.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:14   #11
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
As the poster said, education isn't a measurement of intelligence......and, that's my thinking, as well. Would it surprise very many people here that education IS a measurement of intelligence in the minds of more people, than not? (It would not, for me.)

I'd be willing to bet the relationship between intelligence and education, is much different now, than it ever was in the past......and, the further you go into the past, the difference in average intelligence of those who are "educated" is much more apparent than only a few years ago. All this, of course, is my opinion, but.......I believe we now have a great many more than ever before, educated, but unintelligent people who consider themselves intellectuals.......who aren't.

ooc

edit: One of the biggest problems we have, is academia has evolved into a self-perpetuating system of producing the same product as those who are teaching them......instead of maintaining an effort to excel, we are maintaining a status quo in that universe of what has become a pseudo-intellectual abyss ......all of which appears to have separated itself from the real world........

Last edited by hogship; 10-12-2012 at 16:42..
Old 10-12-2012, 16:38   #12
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
That's not how it seems to play out with all of the people I know.

I probably started out as a liberal in high school. Somewhere past the point of a B.A. and a J.D. and some real world experience, I converted to Republican, and then to Tea Party (and, yes, I know that makes me a racist nutjob).