Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 15:55   #21
brianfede

Just by the few replies on this topic you can see that probably half of the people won't buy a Baer with an infamous idiot scratch. That reduces the demand for the gun, hence the price if you needed to sell it. I personally prefer to be patient and look for good deals where I know if the SHTF I won't lose much money if I was forced to sell a firearm. With the holidays on the horizon and the market flooded with 1911's, I would be patient and wait for a ANIB Baer. It might take some time but patience will pay off. Just my 2 cents.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by brianfede; 10-11-2012 at 15:56..
brianfede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 16:46   #22
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

To me it's worth less.

Gun make really doesn't matter to me, but if it's scratched and at a good price I would probably buy it and either over look the scratch or cover it up. I would be expecting a discount though.

I mean is a person has two identical guns for sale, with the same amount of wear. Yet one of those has an idiot scratch. I would not pay the same price as the other one. However if there were say a 100 buck difference in the price. The scratched one would be more attractive.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787

Last edited by Jason D; 10-11-2012 at 16:47..
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:05   #23
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 View Post
A 1911 with an "idiot scratch" makes me wonder if the internals have been jacked with by someone that can't put the slide stop back in without gouging the frame.
This is exactly my first thought whenever I see a used 1911 with an idiot mark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:52   #24
F_G

If it's just a scratch and gonna' be a shooter......none. If it's a gouge, I'm going to consider passing on that particular specimen. I don't own any safe queens and have 6 1911's of various sizes and manufacturer. 3 have slide stop scratches (not quite the elitist to call a poor soul an idiot for one possible oops moment) 1 was put there by me in an oops moment. So, what do you perfectionists do with holster wear? Commit suicide?

And to the genius that made the statement that the gun has been handled by a hack if it has an idiot mark. Fortunately, I can actually take one apart, inspect it, and determine upon that inspection if the weapon has indeed been mishandled or abused.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19   #25
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

I would pass unless it was a really good deal.
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:01   #26
brisk21

Id say whatever the cost is to get it fixed, plus whatever my time is worth to get it fixed. Take that away from the price, and if you really like the gun otherwise, Id get it.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11   #27
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

$2,000

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30   #28
LUKY-DUDE

I think this anal genius made contact with me once
You the man F G great reply
LUKY-DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06   #29
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_G View Post
If it's just a scratch and gonna' be a shooter......none. If it's a gouge, I'm going to consider passing on that particular specimen. I don't own any safe queens and have 6 1911's of various sizes and manufacturer. 3 have slide stop scratches (not quite the elitist to call a poor soul an idiot for one possible oops moment) 1 was put there by me in an oops moment. So, what do you perfectionists do with holster wear? Commit suicide?

And to the genius that made the statement that the gun has been handled by a hack if it has an idiot mark. Fortunately, I can actually take one apart, inspect it, and determine upon that inspection if the weapon has indeed been mishandled or abused.
Not all shops will allow customers to tear down a gun in the store. My closest shop will allow cheaper guns to be field stripped if it's a simple operation but when it comes to the high end 1911s, they won't even let you dry fire them most of the time.

As for used, they'll let you shoot a mag for free at the range but tearing down any 1911 in the store, not at all. I can usually get away with it since I've been going there for over a decade now , but that's only with certain people that work there.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 10-12-2012 at 08:10..
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17   #30
HexHead

Depends on why I'm buying it. If for an EDC pistol, $100 off would be fine. I have several older handguns that have honest wear on them, scratches and holster wear, and it doesn't bother me. And their prices typically reflected their condition.

If it's a higher end gun that I would cherish, I'd pass and buy another.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44   #31
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

I'd also mention that wear is one thing, marks from improper assembly or amateur gunsmithing is another. Even as a shooter, I'm not going to buy a gun that has even a small gouge left by someone using a hammer and punch to bash out a rear sight, nor would I trust that any gun wasn't toyed with if there are other signs of work done with improper tools.

I have very few safe queens which exist only because they're hard to find and in great condition, some being very old on top of it. Holster wear actually looks good on a lot of pistols, but improper maintenance and marks from poor work dosn't.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:56   #32
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Does YOUR'S have an idiot mark?
Mine does and I am proud of it , along with the massive holster wear and scratches where is has been dropped in the dirt and dragged through the gravel.

It is a combat weapon, not an "Object D'Art".

You want a safe queen in pristine condition, fine. But just because some of have reassembled ours in the dark while covered with mud and happened to scratch it, doesn't make us idiots. It makes us well trained shooters.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:15   #33
jstanfield103

I would not buy a bued 1911 with the scratch, it would iritate me to death. I would buy a SS because they can be taken out. I bought a Taurus with a huge idiot scratch that I took out easily.

1911 Forums
jstanfield103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51   #34
ca survivor

I have a rule, 1911s buy new.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54   #35
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
You want a safe queen in pristine condition, fine. But just because some of have reassembled ours in the dark while covered with mud and happened to scratch it, doesn't make us idiots. It makes us well trained shooters.
When do you and others do this with these high dollars M1911s?

Afghanistan? Iraq? Jungle of the Phillipines? north of the Korean DMZ?
Old 10-12-2012, 13:47   #36
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
When do you and others do this with these high dollars M1911s?

Afghanistan? Iraq? Jungle of the Phillipines? north of the Korean DMZ?
Front Sight, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch Etc. Not everyone shoots a Glock. Take a high end class and look around. You will see some expensive guns being used as they were meant to be used.
Old 10-12-2012, 20:03   #37
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Not all shops will allow customers to tear down a gun in the store. My closest shop will allow cheaper guns to be field stripped if it's a simple operation but when it comes to the high end 1911s, they won't even let you dry fire them most of the time.

As for used, they'll let you shoot a mag for free at the range but tearing down any 1911 in the store, not at all. I can usually get away with it since I've been going there for over a decade now , but that's only with certain people that work there.
Have them tear it down for inspection, heck I don't care who takes it apart as long as I can inspect the internals. If the shop declines they obviously don't want my business. Do you buy a car without popping the hood? If you do buy a weapon without looking at it you deserve what you get.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 20:16   #38
TTM65

I think this is a silly question to begin with. A person is selling a gun, you are in the market for a gun. If you do not like the gun or scratches on it then do not buy it. It is really that simple.

TTM65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 00:24   #39
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_G View Post
Have them tear it down for inspection, heck I don't care who takes it apart as long as I can inspect the internals. If the shop declines they obviously don't want my business. Do you buy a car without popping the hood? If you do buy a weapon without looking at it you deserve what you get.
Yep. What you said.
Old 10-13-2012, 00:25   #40
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Front Sight, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch Etc. Not everyone shoots a Glock. Take a high end class and look around. You will see some expensive guns being used as they were meant to be used.
Shooting these guns at training schools aren't the same as "being used as they were meant to be used."

If they were meant to be used as such, then they would be on their owners' hands and hips deployed in some corner of the world, delivering hot lead.

BTW, I took Gunsite 250, 350 and 499. Don't ever recall breaking down my gun in the dark and reassemble them.

Now, Uncle Sam's NCOs used to make me do that for training back in the days.

Last edited by fnfalman; 10-13-2012 at 00:28..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote