Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:20   #61
DowntimeLA
in da swamp

I have a MP15 sport and really have fun shooting with the factory iron sights. Plus it's been a great gun to teach my GF shooting fundamentals with. It's too easy just to hover a red orb over a target and shoot. (at close range anyway)

I admit that pretty much all we do is plink.
DowntimeLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 13:14   #62
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
If real life was always well lighted, with bright painted targets and my eyes were what they were at 20, irons would rule for me.
Agree. When I was younger I could shoot the so good with the sights on my Colt I thought it was silly seeing people spend so much to replace a perfectly good sight set up. Now that I'm older and focus in different planes is slower for me I look at it a lot different.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21   #63
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
I have a set of Troy BUIS on my M&P15T that came with the gun.......The Troy's dont lock up solid and have a lot of play in them. They work OK for what they are, but if thats all youre planning on using, Id look for something else.
There are two versions of the M&P15T, which one do you have? Can you post pictures of the sights on yours?

I have an original 15T, and the Troy sights are absolutely rock solid, not a bit of play in them.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:27   #64
eracer
Where's my EBT?

I bought an AR with the intention of using a carry handle and a pinned A2 front sight.

I did this for the reasons FAAWRENCHBNDR stated above. Namely:

Iron sights do not need batteries.
Iron sights rarely, if ever, break or fail.
Iron sights are always there, not in a pack.

Then I decided to put my ACOG on it instead. Why?

Because:

ACOG's do not need batteries.
ACOG's rarely, if ever, break or fail.
ACOG's are always there, not in a pack. (assuming you keep them on the rifle.)

And ACOG's are far more versatile than iron sights. (Especially at distance with these tired, old, astigmatic eyes.)
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 10-13-2012 at 04:28..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:55   #65
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I'm not an optic hater,.....AGOG is outstanding.
Love my Comp M2 a bit better
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:35   #66
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I'm not an optic hater,.....AGOG is outstanding.
Love my Comp M2 a bit better
Agreed. I have one of those as well. However, if 'No Batteries' is part of the equation...

(Then again, the batteries in the Aimpoint might just outlast the tritium in the ACOG.)
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 10-13-2012 at 05:36..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:45   #67
ak103k

Quote:
There are two versions of the M&P15T, which one do you have?
I didnt realise they had more than one version, so Im not sure which version I have. I got it a couple of years back.

The play in my sights is most noticeable front to back, but there is also some side wiggle as well. As I said earlier, they shoot "OK", its just they dont seem to be as repeatable as the GG&G's, which have zero play.

This is my M&P15T....
Black Rifle Forum

and the sights....
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 15:06   #68
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

ACOG is a short telescopic sight and not a typical red dot sight.

I am a proponent of short scopes for combat exactly for the reasons you've listed. Set it on 1X or 1.5X for contact distances and crank it up to 4X for longer ranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
I bought an AR with the intention of using a carry handle and a pinned A2 front sight.

I did this for the reasons FAAWRENCHBNDR stated above. Namely:

Iron sights do not need batteries.
Iron sights rarely, if ever, break or fail.
Iron sights are always there, not in a pack.

Then I decided to put my ACOG on it instead. Why?

Because:

ACOG's do not need batteries.
ACOG's rarely, if ever, break or fail.
ACOG's are always there, not in a pack. (assuming you keep them on the rifle.)

And ACOG's are far more versatile than iron sights. (Especially at distance with these tired, old, astigmatic eyes.)
Old 10-13-2012, 15:18   #69
ak103k

Quote:
I am a proponent of short scopes for combat exactly for the reasons you've listed. Set it on 1X or 1.5X for contact distances and crank it up to 4X for longer ranges.
I have one AR set up just as you describe, and for the same reasons. It does work well, but to be "perfect", something like Trijicons Accupoints would be the ticket. Scopes lacking night or low/no light capability are at a disadvantage to the red dots.

Having both, the red dots are still my favorites for all around use. I am thinking about that Trijcon though.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-13-2012, 15:43   #70
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I have one AR set up just as you describe, and for the same reasons. It does work well, but to be "perfect", something like Trijicons Accupoints would be the ticket. Scopes lacking night or low/no light capability are at a disadvantage to the red dots.
Some short scopes of glowing reticules. Even without the glowing reticules, they still magnify ambient light. Not to mention you can use infrared laser pointers coupled to a night vision goggle.

Quote:
Having both, the red dots are still my favorites for all around use. I am thinking about that Trijcon though.
To each his own. I have both red dot and short scope. I prefer short scope.
Old 10-13-2012, 16:28   #71
ak103k

Quote:
Some short scopes of glowing reticules. Even without the glowing reticules, they still magnify ambient light. Not to mention you can use infrared laser pointers coupled to a night vision goggle.
The glowing reticule would be better, but Id personally rather have the dot or triangle. I find it less busy, and distracting, especially in lower light.

The lower power scopes Ive used, dont have the light gathering objectives the bigger scopes have. I really dont see much if any difference between them and my red dots.

Laser and night vision are nice, but expensive, and I still get a 24 hour sight with even a cheap red dot. My M2's are NV ready too.

Hey, it all comes down to what works best for you. You really cant go wrong with either. With todays zero repeatable mounts, you can actually have the best of both worlds with one gun, and its nice to have the options. My AR with the 1.5x5 on it, also has a pre zeroed M2 on its own lever mount. It can be either or, in about 15-20 seconds.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-13-2012, 16:28   #72
arclight610

My A2 clone. I might one day get one of those fancy Aimcogs.

Black Rifle Forum
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25   #73
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
I didnt realise they had more than one version, so Im not sure which version I have. I got it a couple of years back.

The play in my sights is most noticeable front to back, but there is also some side wiggle as well. As I said earlier, they shoot "OK", its just they dont seem to be as repeatable as the GG&G's, which have zero play.

This is my M&P15T....
Black Rifle Forum

and the sights....
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Very odd...

You have the same, original 15T as I do, but I have a slightly different front sight. Still, those do look like Troys, so it's odd that you're having issues with them. Maybe paint got into the mechanisms and froze the springs that apply tension?

Mine are rock solid, and snick-snick into place and back to folded down.

You might try removing them, soaking them in paint remover, then cleaning and oiling them up real good. Might help.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-14-2012 at 03:26..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:24   #74
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Agreed. I have one of those as well. However, if 'No Batteries' is part of the equation...

(Then again, the batteries in the Aimpoint might just outlast the tritium in the ACOG.)
I hear ya,........not a big fan of the ACOG price tag.
Other than a scope, the Aimpoint is the only optic I care for.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:19   #75
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

ak130k that is a nice setup!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:59   #76
ak103k

Quote:
Maybe paint got into the mechanisms and froze the springs that apply tension?
No. They were as they are now, prior to painting.

Maybe I just lucked out and got a sloppy set. Thats usually my "luck".

They work fine for what they are, a "BU"IS.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02   #77
ak103k

Quote:
ak130k that is a nice setup!
Thanks.

I got it in a trade (NIB) and its been working out well. I wouldnt hesitate to get another S&W.

Here it is with its voice reducer.

Black Rifle Forum

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-14-2012, 23:14   #78
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

I used irons only in bootcamp and SOI, then I learned how much faster non magnified optics are so I switched.

I tried the ACOG too, but it wasn't as fast. Deployed with 'em and won't ever go back.

Odds of my aimpoint or eotech breaking when I need it are very slim, and much less all my aimpoints or eotechs breaking
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09   #79
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

My primary rifle is a Colt LE6920 with the standard carry handle irons. I have noting against optics and I understand all the arguments in favor of red dot's and optics as a whole.

I've been down the red dot road and I don't care for them. I find I can be just as fast with iron sights as I can with the red dot.

What about low light you ask? That's what a weapon mounted light is for. At the most, they make tritium sights for the AR if one feels the need for them. (I don't as long as I have a light attached to the gun.)

For me anymore, magnified optics are for my precision rifles and red dot's are a novelty in my opinion. I know a lot of you guys like the red dot's and if they work for you great! I don't like them.

With no magnification they don't offer me anything that the iron sights don't already do for me. They take up space and rely on batteries. I've heard all the arguments about how, "Fast" the red dot is. I just don't see it and I haven't noticed any difference in my shot to shot times or time on target to first shot fired between red dot's and irons.

Sorry!

Red Dot sights?

No thank you.

I'm able to reliably use my iron sights (on a regular basis at that) out to 400 meters and reliably hit a man size target and keep almost all of them on the paper.

I don't see how that's a bad thing and I don't see a red dot allowing me to do it any better than that.

A magnified optic will allow me to group tighter at that distance and have a higher hit rate but it takes up space, increases weight not to mention the greater possibility of something going wrong with my primary sight. Let's face it, no optic is as rugged as iron sights.

My iron sights get me from point blank to 600 meters. (Don't ask me about my hit rate at 600m ) But on that note, how often will a civilian or even a law enforcement officer be called upon to engage a target at 600 meters with either a red dot or iron sights.

Probably never.

As far as I'm concerned, a defensive rifle should be kept as simple as possible. For me, it's iron sights and a weapon mounted light. That combo hasn't failed me yet and I've used this carbine in several classes with great success. (Much to the dismay of the instructors that insisted that I have a red dot or some kind of optic.)

Iron sights for me please!

Last edited by NEOH212; 10-15-2012 at 03:12..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:45   #80
mjkeat

You don't know what you don't know, comes to mind.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote