Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 17:47   #1
bill clancy

Added an LED light to my Dillon 550b

I'm currently reloading in the basement, even with flourescent lighting overhead, my 50+ year old eyes aren't what they used to be. To be extra safe I got a Princeton Tec Pulsar II keychain light (The one with the switch on the side), and a bit of adhesive velcro. I put a piece of velcro on the tool head on the exposed side near stations 2 & 3, and another one on the small light. I turn it on and adjust the aim to shoot right into the shell on station 2, so I can see the powder charge level before I flick the index sprocket to advance the shell to station 3.
Is it easy enough or do you need a picture?
bill clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 17:55   #2
HAMMERHEAD

I get the picture.
I know I feel much better about seeing each and every powder charge.
Glad you're doing it too.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19   #3
judgecrater

Good insurance.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26   #4
TK-421

Always a good idea to be safe and make sure you know exactly how much powder is in there, to try and avoid a double charge. Smart idea using one of those cheap keychain lights.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49   #5
Kwesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Always a good idea to be safe and make sure you know exactly how much powder is in there, to try and avoid a double charge. Smart idea using one of those cheap keychain lights.
I wish I had a photo to post or the ordering details for the light I installed on the 550. It has 5-6 bright LED's on a vertical flat strip that attaches between stations 1 & 2. Puts out lots of light on stations 2 & 3. Purchased it last year. Someone posted the details here on GT.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 21:08   #6
bdhawk

Send a message via Yahoo to bdhawk
my guess is, your light came from inline fabrication.
this guy is very clever, with all kinda neat stuff for many different presses. web address below....

kinda funny, i ordered two sets of the lights for my 550Bs, and one for my SDB. he e-mailed me yesterday that they were to be shipped today, 10/19/12. he has an outstanding reputation.

check out the press handles. i plan to get some for my
550Bs, ASAP [waitin' on discretionary funding].

www.inlinefabrication.com

N.R.A. RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

G22 - G27 - G20 sf

Last edited by bdhawk; 10-19-2012 at 21:12..
bdhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07   #7
thunderbat

Good tip on the lighting system, thanks. Does the power cord get in the way at all?
thunderbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16   #8
alank2

Hi,

All of my products comes with a press light - http://www.pressmonitordevice.com

I don't have the counters up at my website, but they are on eBay.

Reloading

I think a light on the bullet seating stations is one of the best things you can do for safety!

Good luck,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:37   #9
Kwesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhawk View Post
my guess is, your light came from inline fabrication.
this guy is very clever, with all kinda neat stuff for many different presses. web address below....

kinda funny, i ordered two sets of the lights for my 550Bs, and one for my SDB. he e-mailed me yesterday that they were to be shipped today, 10/19/12. he has an outstanding reputation.

check out the press handles. i plan to get some for my
550Bs, ASAP [waitin' on discretionary funding].

Yes that is it! Even though I have Alan's Press Monitor (great product) I prefer inline's lighting system. The cord has not been a problem.
Old 12-08-2012, 23:40   #10
njl

With just a bit of soldering, the LED strips are an easy DIY project. The soldering is really the only difficult part. Shop around for the LED material...it's sold on 5M rolls for as little as about $12 delivered.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24   #11
bdhawk

Send a message via Yahoo to bdhawk
finally got around to posting about the L.E.D.,
inline fabrication lights. they recommend you install the strip on the inside of the closest upright on the frame. i chose to put mine on the far side. i like to check my powder level there, just before i add the bullet.
the wires are not an issue. they give you stuff to route the wires out the way, and out of harms way. they are turned
on/off by an inline roller switch.

i am posting a pic, but there are other pics on their website.
if you want a pic of the square deal lighting, look there. it is pretty much the same as mine. i am posting mine to show how the lights look on a different position.

N.R.A. RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

G22 - G27 - G20 sf

Last edited by bdhawk; 12-23-2012 at 20:05..
bdhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33   #12
dhgeyer

I've got plenty of light for my eyes on the cases as they go around. I can see the powder level quite well at stations 2 and three, and the bullet at stations 3 and 4.

Where I'd like to put more light is on the primer cup as it slides out from under the feed tube. Looking at that to make sure there is a primer and that it's right side up is part of my routine before I move the handle the rest of the way and seat the primer. Right now it's a bit dark under there. I've been meaning to do something about that. Your idea of a little LED makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 22:53   #13
SBray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhawk View Post
finally got around to posting about the L.E.D.,
inline fabrication lights. they recommend you install the strip on the inside of the closest upright on the frame. i chose to put mine on the far side. i like to check my powder level there, just before i add the bullet.
the wires are not an issue. they give you stuff to route the wires out the way, and out of harms way. they are turned
on/off by an inline roller switch.

i am posting a pic, but there are other pics on their website.
if you want a pic of the square deal lighting, look there. it is pretty much the same as mine. i am posting mine to show how the lights look on a different position.

I have only used the Press Monitor light that Alan's unit came with. It works for me. I can't help but wonder, does that row of lights pointing at the operator, seem somewhat blinding?

I have seen similar rows of LED lights in stores, and they seem to be very bright!

Thanks,

Steve
SBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19   #14
alank2

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBray View Post
I have only used the Press Monitor light that Alan's unit came with. It works for me.
Thanks for the feedback Steve; I appreciate it.

Quote:
I can't help but wonder, does that row of lights pointing at the operator, seem somewhat blinding?
That is one of the reasons I recess the LED in the white tube - so its brightness is masked, but yet it can focus its light where it needs to.

Thanks,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by alank2; 12-11-2012 at 07:19..
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40   #15
njl

Quote:
I have only used the Press Monitor light that Alan's unit came with. It works for me. I can't help but wonder, does that row of lights pointing at the operator, seem somewhat blinding?

I have seen similar rows of LED lights in stores, and they seem to be very bright!

Thanks,

Steve
I have similar LED strips on my RL550B and I actually had to reposition the ceiling strip because the left most LED was hanging down a bit and was in my direct line of sight, and it was annoyingly bright...and I'm only running them at 9V (not full brightness).
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08   #16
SigFTW

Quote:

Thanks,

Steve
I run with the LED row lights also and it's bright and provides plenty of light, it's mounted by the bullet seat die and it's not a problem.
Old 12-11-2012, 13:31   #17
Kwesi

SBray: I also have Alan's Press Monitor but found I needed more light. I have the LED strip mentioned above located at station 2 facing station 3. I did not care for the way the light is supposed to stay in place (folded wire pushed into the recessed area). It eventually would work free. Love the Press though!