SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-17-2012, 15:58   #21
Roering
Sorting nuts

Interesting Topic.

Scripture does not say that Quirinius was the governor of Syria at that time. What you are looking at in Luke 2:2 is an interjection in the scripture from the translator. Many times they will add things and really would be better off leaving it alone. Sometimes they are kind enough to put it into parenthesis. Luke 1:1 that speaks of Augustus however is original text. Seeing as Augustus ruled from 63BC to 14AD this fits the timeline.

By the way, it's not meant to be a science book.

Cheers.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 16:00   #22
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
I just did a search of the KJV and this guy Quirinius is not mentioned. Not even in Luke!

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...qs_version=KJV
King James uses the word Cyrenius.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 17:28   #23
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
It's my thread. Play by the rules, or get ignored. Your choice. You had every opportunity to create a thread, but were too cowardly to do so.

So I reiterate- THE RULE: Only ONE item, topic, subject and or theme at a time[, otherwise, screw you].
If I may suggest another rule. If three posts by one person pass without presenting a new argument or evidence, that topic will be considered closed and we can move on to something new.
Old 10-17-2012, 17:37   #24
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Interesting Topic.

Scripture does not say that Quirinius was the governor of Syria at that time. What you are looking at in Luke 2:2 is an interjection in the scripture from the translator. Many times they will add things and really would be better off leaving it alone. Sometimes they are kind enough to put it into parenthesis. Luke 1:1 that speaks of Augustus however is original text. Seeing as Augustus ruled from 63BC to 14AD this fits the timeline.
This alternative view would require that a different census, under a different governor, during the reign of Herod. Is there any evidence of such a census? As for Luke 2:2 being an interjection by a translator, are there any known copies of Luke that do not include the passage?
Quote:

Cheers.
To be fair, Peace Warrior is the one who claimed,
Quote:
I used to understand your sentiment, even though it is severely misplaced, as I too came as a "doubting Thomas" to the Word of the only living G-d; however, the Holy Bible is the only "literary work" has neither been proven wrong scientifically, nor has It been proven wrong within Its own scriptural context.
It seems fair to challenge him to defend that assertion.
Old 10-17-2012, 18:00   #25
Glock36shooter

Quote:
I just did a search of the KJV and this guy Quirinius is not mentioned. Not even in Luke!

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...qs_version=KJV
It's also translated as Cyrenius... c'mon try harder than that.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 18:04   #26
Glock36shooter

PEACE WARRIOR... I'M WAITING! You continue to run that mouth and back it up with nothing. Surely your magic book has the answers you need.
Old 10-17-2012, 18:05   #27
Glock36shooter

Quote:

Cheers.
That is for sure. Tell that to Peace Warrior who claims the Bible is scientifically accurate.
Old 10-17-2012, 19:08   #28
Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
It's also translated as Cyrenius... c'mon try harder than that.
I honestly did not know that! One of the things that confuses us laypeople is all the "a.k.a.s" in the bible.

It seems that names are changed during translations.
Another issue I've had is the names of many of the places. Many don't exist anymore, other have had their borders changed over the years.

Now I don't take the printed word as totally true, but I also don't get overly excited when a date or place can not be pinpointed with precise accuracy.

I'm sure that if we asked Paul, "When were you born?" He most likely couldn't give us an exact date and surely wouldn't use the terms BC or AD.

I can't tell the date of my birth, I don't remember the event, I can only tell you what others have told me! LOL

So based on the very small amount of reading I've done on this point, I'd say you won this one!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 19:51   #29
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Are you planning on having a discussion or will you be following past practice and simply declaring things true and refusing to consider or address any evidence to the contrary?
You're not still sour that he proved that it's "scientifically impossible" for stars to form by declaring it as fact are you?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 19:59   #30
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The Bible tells you how to go to Heaven, not how the heavens go. --Pope John Paul II
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 21:16   #31
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
The Bible tells you how to go to Heaven, not how the heavens go. --Pope John Paul II
In other words, "We're in the business of warm fuzzy feelings, not accurate information".
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 21:23   #32
Glock36shooter

This thread is not going well for Peace Warrior is it?
Old 10-17-2012, 21:49   #33
Sarge1400

Quote:
This thread is not going well for Peace Warrior is it?
Who?
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02   #34
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Who?
I know, even the name is stupid. But you know... the person that ran their mouth, started this thread with baseless nonsense, called me a coward for not starting it myself, and then ran away with tail between legs once things got real. That guy.

You know it doesn't bother me when someone is stupid once. We all have bad days when we stick our foot in our mouth or say something we can't possibly back up. But there's like 4 believers that frequent this place that do it on a regular basis and it's the same things over and over again. I don't see how people like that remember to breath without help. They'll make a bold claim with zero basis, not back it up, get completely torn down, and bolt. Only to come back next week not only with the same nonsense but claiming that no one has ever proven them wrong. That level of willful ignorance amazes me.

I know a fella like that personally. And he's a super believer. We go round and round constantly. His issue is an amazingly gigantic ego and the self-deluded idea that nothing he says is wrong because HE said it. Not sure if that's what's happening here or not.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 10-18-2012 at 09:08..
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15   #35
Glock36shooter

Quote:
I honestly did not know that! One of the things that confuses us laypeople is all the "a.k.a.s" in the bible.

It seems that names are changed during translations.
Another issue I've had is the names of many of the places. Many don't exist anymore, other have had their borders changed over the years.

Now I don't take the printed word as totally true, but I also don't get overly excited when a date or place can not be pinpointed with precise accuracy.

I'm sure that if we asked Paul, "When were you born?" He most likely couldn't give us an exact date and surely wouldn't use the terms BC or AD.

I can't tell the date of my birth, I don't remember the event, I can only tell you what others have told me! LOL

So based on the very small amount of reading I've done on this point, I'd say you won this one!
Please allow me to apologize to you. I was rude and blunt with you. I was in a bit of a froth at Peace Warrior and you just happened to get in my line of sight. I read your earlier comment and colored it with the same tone in which I was reading Peace Warriors. I shouldn't have done that. You were making a separate comment all together. So I'm sorry for being short with you.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29   #36
muscogee

Quote:
You know it doesn't bother me when someone is stupid once. We all have bad days when we stick our foot in our mouth or say something we can't possibly back up. But there's like 4 believers that frequent this place that do it on a regular basis and it's the same things over and over again. I don't see how people like that remember to breath without help. They'll make a bold claim with zero basis, not back it up, get completely torn down, and bolt. Only to come back next week not only with the same nonsense but claiming that no one has ever proven them wrong. That level of willful ignorance amazes me.
They're used to preaching to the choir which praises them for their insights. They can't grasp how their "insights" look to those not predisposed to agree with them. They don't understand your opposition so they repeat the same arguments over and over. Eventually what you're saying begins to get through. These people stop posting because they know the answers they're going to get. Some of them go on spiritual journeys and reevaluate what they know in light of what they have learned. Some of them come back, some of them don't. However, all of them are changed by what they learn here. It's difficult to accept that your worldview is incorrect.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37   #37
AlexHassin

Quote:

THE RULE: Only ONE item, topic, subject and or theme at a time please.

Thanks.
that's where i stopped reading. i vote this is now a gif thered.
Religious Issues
AlexHassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:39   #38
AlexHassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Are you planning on having a discussion or will you be following past practice and simply declaring things true and refusing to consider or address any evidence to the contrary?
Religious Issues
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42   #39
AlexHassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
And it's hard to be governor of Syria when you are busy fighting a war in Turkey.
Religious Issues
Old 10-18-2012, 19:23   #40
Booker

Quote:
Please allow me to apologize to you. I was rude and blunt with you. I was in a bit of a froth at Peace Warrior and you just happened to get in my line of sight. I read your earlier comment and colored it with the same tone in which I was reading Peace Warriors. I shouldn't have done that. You were making a separate comment all together. So I'm sorry for being short with you.
It's ok! I know that things get heated at times and I'm guilty of the same myself at times! Besides, when I signed up for the internet many moons ago, they gave me a thick-skin for free! LOL
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote