Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:41   #101
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
That is part of the problem when people get so dependent on their optic they never train with their irons.
I believe that rifle shooters should master shooting with iron sights first, and then move on to an optic. Learning with irons first forces a shooter to habitually get a good cheek weld as the rifle comes up and that will make them faster and more consistent when the begin to use an optic. Using an optic first, especially a RDS, allows a shooter to be inconsistent with their cheek weld and it is easier to train a consistent cheek weld from the beginning than to develop consistency once slop has been habituated.

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08   #102
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
I believe that rifle shooters should master shooting with iron sights first, and then move on to an optic. Learning with irons first forces a shooter to habitually get a good cheek weld as the rifle comes up and that will make them faster and more consistent when the begin to use an optic. Using an optic first, especially a RDS, allows a shooter to be inconsistent with their cheek weld and it is easier to train a consistent cheek weld from the beginning than to develop consistency once slop has been habituated.
Well, using irons and using optics are two different things to master. You could choose to master one, the other, or both.

I'm not interested in using irons, spending the time and money mastering them, but that's just me.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11   #103
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I always have electronic sights, either Aimpoint, or EOTech, on my work ARs, but just iron sights on my fun ARs (I don't have lights, or slings, on the fun ones, either).
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02   #104
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
THat said, I have a lot of trouble believing anybody who's ever had to do it for real would say irons over optics.

There aren't a lot of good sight alignment/picture shots taking place when somebody is shooting back. Putting a gun at an awkward angle that still lets you stay behind cover and pull a trigger is a hell of a lot better an idea than properly shooting wtih irons.
I agree. Especially in low light.
Old 10-18-2012, 19:01   #105
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Well, using irons and using optics are two different things to master. You could choose to master one, the other, or both.

I'm not interested in using irons, spending the time and money mastering them, but that's just me.

Most rifle shooters will shoot a RDS better if they master shooting with iron sights first. The fundamentals of rifle marksmanship are the same for both irons and optics. Irons are less forgiving so they require more consistency and focus to shoot well. The consistency and focus irons help shooters develop make the advantages of RDS and optics easier to maximize.

Take cheek weld for example. With irons, a consistent chekweld is essential while with a RDS head position has broad parameters. Putting your head in the same psoition makes putting the dot on target very natural and easy. While varying head position complicates finding the dot on the target. When fractions of a second count, simplicity reigns supreme.

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 19:17   #106
Gunnut 45/454

I have a A2 carbine, had a A2 HBAR rifle. I like shooting irons as that was how I was trained.

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 10-18-2012 at 19:18..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50   #107
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:

Remember in a tactical situation you had best master the iron sights first because if the optics fail then your screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
I always have electronic sights, either Aimpoint, or EOTech, on my work ARs, but just iron sights on my fun ARs (I don't have lights, or slings, on the fun ones, either).
See the above.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55   #108
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Whats a good fixed rear sight to match my A2 front sight.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57   #109
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Most rifle shooters will shoot a RDS better if they master shooting with iron sights first. The fundamentals of rifle marksmanship are the same for both irons and optics. Irons are less forgiving so they require more consistency and focus to shoot well. The consistency and focus irons help shooters develop make the advantages of RDS and optics easier to maximize.

Take cheek weld for example. With irons, a consistent chekweld is essential while with a RDS head position has broad parameters. Putting your head in the same psoition makes putting the dot on target very natural and easy. While varying head position complicates finding the dot on the target. When fractions of a second count, simplicity reigns supreme.
Or, you could choose to address this from the opposite direction, if we're going to focus on HD/SD and what people choose to practice with when they go to the range.

Cheek weld means nothing for using an RDS at close ranges for HD/SD, where speed is king. So, don't bother wasting time and money with irons, focus on training with the RDS you would actually use.

Worried about finding the red dot quickly? Practice it. No matter what, you'll be far, faaar faster aquiring your target with a RDS than irons. Hell, the uber competetive AR gaming shooters don't even seem to use any cheek weld at all.

If find it a bit disconcerting that some fail to understand that most people's time and money for shooting is not unlimited, and is best utilized by focusing on what you would really do in an HD/SD situation, if that is what we're to focus this discussion on.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01   #110
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Remember in a tactical situation you had best master the iron sights first because if the optics fail then your screwed.

This isn't combat.

At worst we're talking about HD/SD, where a very babied, safe queen of an AR will be used. No need to worry about RDSs failing.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32   #111
scccdoc

I,m going to an RDS soon but not for HD/SD. I have an 870 with a Surefire and Glock 27 with night sights for that, it suits my personal home layout. The RDS (Aimpoint Pro, Eotech, or tritium version) will be for range fun or shtf (God forbid)(don't like the shtf phrase). To each his own.......... DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:44   #112
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

I like iron sights on an AR. RDS and optics are an advantage in certian situations, but most shooters use them as a crutch. Optics malfunction. (ETA: Batteries die, glass cracks, fog, moisture, zero shift, broken mount, etc.) It's a fact. Irons rarely do. Better to master the constant, than to rely on the variable.

ETA2:
Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by LA_357SIG; 10-22-2012 at 09:56..
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50   #113
mjkeat

Quote:

Cheek weld means nothing for using an RDS at close ranges for HD/SD, where speed is king. So, don't bother wasting time and money with irons, focus on training with the RDS you would actually use.

Hell, the uber competetive AR gaming shooters don't even seem to use any cheek weld at all.
What experience brings you to this conclusion?

Quote:

This isn't combat.

At worst we're talking about HD/SD, where a very babied, safe queen of an AR will be used. No need to worry about RDSs failing.
Did he say combat or tactical situation?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52   #114
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
I like iron sights on an AR. RDS and optics are an advantage in certian situations, but most shooters use them as a crutch. Optics malfunction. (ETA: Batteries die, glass cracks, fog, moisture, zero shift, broken mount, etc.) It's a fact. Irons rarely do. Better to master the constant, than to rely on the variable.
Are there stats available concerning quality optics such as the T1/H1 and failure? That would be a good read.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:59   #115
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Are there stats available concerning quality optics such as the T1/H1 and failure? That would be a good read.

You can research it yourself. If you find anything, be sure to post here.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14   #116
mjkeat

Quote:
You can research it yourself. If you find anything, be sure to post here.
Exactly what I was expecting.

What situations are optics not ideal?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:25   #117
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
How much experience do you have with an Aimpoint or Eotech optic? You seem to be relaying concerns that aren't that realistic.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08   #118
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Exactly what I was expecting.

What situations are optics not ideal?

What exactly were you expecting. You wanted info on a certian optic? You do the research. My statement referred to optics in general. Unless you can prove optics do not malfunction, then your response to my statement was pointless, or you were attempting to start an arguement.

And where did I say optics weren't ideal? I did say in certian situations they were an advantage. Speed is not always better. Precision in most cases is.
Old 10-22-2012, 13:09   #119
mjkeat

double post

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-22-2012 at 13:13..
Old 10-22-2012, 13:12   #120
mjkeat

Quote:
What exactly were you expecting. You wanted info on a certian optic? You do the research. My statement referred to optics in general. Unless you can prove optics do not malfunction, then your response to my statement was pointless, or you were attempting to start an arguement.

And where did I say optics weren't ideal? I did say in certian situations they were an advantage. Speed is not always better. Precision in most cases is.
I asked you for some supporting evidence to your statement. It was a general question. I supplied a specific optic hoping it might make your job of finding supporting evidence. I expected that you had none and I was correct.

You mention that RDS brake and irons rarely do. This would lead one to believe you feel optics fail more than rarely. I want to know where you found this information as I have never had a quality optic fail let alone more frequently than rarely.

You made the statement therefore the burden of proof falls on you. I was very polite about it but received the response I expected. Meaning I knew you had no experience or were in possession of any technical data to back your claim.

I didn't say you said they were not ideal. You said they were ideal in certain situations. That means there are situations you feel they are not. I was curious as to the situations you felt they were not.

So a magnified optic is less accurate than iron sights?

Thats it.

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-22-2012 at 13:14..
Old 10-22-2012, 14:01   #121
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:

[...snip...]

Thats it.
I agree.
Old 10-22-2012, 14:10   #122
mjkeat

What's w/ all these jokers that make stern statements than get soft when asked to provide support? Right or wrong support your statement.
Old 10-22-2012, 15:07   #123
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

What if you, say, use a flip up BUIS with an absolute co-witness to your RDS, and train with the sites up, only viewing the dot through the sites?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 15:33   #124
K. Foster

Quote:
What experience brings you to this conclusion?
He's self taught.
Old 10-22-2012, 15:39   #125
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:

This isn't combat.

Very true. At close range, you can even point and hit with a long arm.