Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2012, 17:03   #61
glockin-45

I got put down for selling a DWCCO, that was basicaly new, but i put the dreaded mark on it. So i sold it for a very fair price. When i showed the man the scratch, he just laughed, said thats how some people are. If your selling at a fair price, i'd not worry about it. Let the others say what they want, and let them buy new. Give some one deserving of this nice gun a good deal, and move on. It does not cost that much to refinish a slide.
glockin-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:10   #62
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
No, The Marine Corps did. My Pistol Expert Badge.
So, as part of the USMC pistol qualification, you'd have to disassemble and reassemble the handgun then fire it?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39   #63
ET.

Idiot Mark...
My ex brother-in-law's name is Mark. He is definitely an Idiot Mark.

I have 2 1911's and shoot them often at our lgs range with my friends. If I showed up with a 1911 with an idiot mark on it, I would never live it down. Even if I didn't put the mark on the gun, it would still reflect poorly on me. People see the mark & just assume the owner is an idiot. It is very easy to find 1911's that don't have the mark on them. Why would I put myself through the humiliation of owning one that does have the 1911 mark of dishonor? I wouldn't...
ET. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 17:38   #64
cciman

Being an idiot here- how does one put the slide stop back on without scratching the slide?
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 17:49   #65
TxGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Being an idiot here- how does one put the slide stop back on without scratching the slide?
Push it straight in without the exxagerated swinging motion too many think is part of the process. It's not. Idiots always seem to forget there is a lug on the back of the damn thing. And glockin-45, it's not the slide that may need refinishing, it's the frame....although I suppose there are some idiots who manage to scratch up both during reassembly .

Last edited by TxGun; 10-22-2012 at 17:58..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 18:00   #66
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

This is the fix!

1911 Forums
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 19:02   #67
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET. View Post
Idiot Mark...
My ex brother-in-law's name is Mark. He is definitely an Idiot Mark.

I have 2 1911's and shoot them often at our lgs range with my friends. If I showed up with a 1911 with an idiot mark on it, I would never live it down. Even if I didn't put the mark on the gun, it would still reflect poorly on me. People see the mark & just assume the owner is an idiot. It is very easy to find 1911's that don't have the mark on them. Why would I put myself through the humiliation of owning one that does have the 1911 mark of dishonor? I wouldn't...
If you are that concerned about how others view you and your weapons, you need some self-esteem.

Anyways, I own a single 1911 with an idiot mark. Its very faint, but its there. All my others dont have one, because i owned them all from new. However, when I buy a gun for a specific purpose, like competition, I could care less. Its going to see a ton of rounds and get shot to hell anyway. Bounced around inside a case and range bag, laid out on shooting benches etc. No big deal.
Old 10-22-2012, 20:19   #68
cciman

Pushing straight in has never worked for me. I've owned several 1911's, none would push directly straight in, even pushing very hard, even up and in.-- the plunger always gets stuck under the stop in some fashion or another. I've always had to use a tool push back the plunger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
Push it straight in without the exxagerated swinging motion too many think is part of the process. It's not. Idiots always seem to forget there is a lug on the back of the damn thing. And glockin-45, it's not the slide that may need refinishing, it's the frame....although I suppose there are some idiots who manage to scratch up both during reassembly .
Old 10-23-2012, 00:46   #69
TxGun

Quote:
Pushing straight in has never worked for me. I've owned several 1911's, none would push directly straight in, even pushing very hard, even up and in.-- the plunger always gets stuck under the stop in some fashion or another. I've always had to use a tool push back the plunger.
I don't know what to tell you, cci . It's the way I was taught years ago and it's always worked for me with many, many 1911s. Once I line everything up, it's basically a straight-in push with just a touch of upward bias. I never "swing" the slide stop into position like some insist on doing...that's just asking for trouble.

Last edited by TxGun; 10-23-2012 at 00:59..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57   #70
Rick O'Shay

I bought an Ithaca 1911A1, WWII issue, with original finish and idiot scratches both ways!
But, instead of $1,500 it would have been worth, I paid $1,250. If I ever resell it (unlikely), then I'll keep the price low to reflect the ignorance that created the scratches.
I'm guessing either military guy in a hurry, or a trainee that hadn't shot anything but BB guns up to that point.
I'm pretty sure the military trains their recruits how to assemble a pistol without wrecking it.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:00   #71
Rick O'Shay

Quote:
Try assembling BEFORE you add the plunger; ie, spring cap and bushing LAST.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06   #72
jedi573

Send a message via AIM to jedi573
Rick, assuming the thumb safety is already installed, the pressure on the slide stop's detent plunger won't be any different, whether the slide is assembled or not.

It sounds like cciman is having trouble pushing straight in with the slide stop. What I'd try is pushing it straight in before it's lined up in the disassembly notch. Then you can try pulling back the slide to its proper notch and pushing in the slide stop the rest of the way. I've used this method on more stubborn detent plunger springs and it's worked well.

Andy
jedi573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 20:45   #73
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 View Post
A 1911 with an "idiot scratch" makes me wonder if the internals have been jacked with by someone that can't put the slide stop back in without gouging the frame.
I can tell you the the "idiot mark" cause by the improper reinstalling the slide stop does cost $100 off.

I have bought several 1911 with such a mark off of Gun Broker well below what the pistol would have brought.

On stainless steel I just buff it out and go on. However, when I was looking for a Smith & Wesson 945 there was one with the same idiot mark! I think it is still on Gun Broker. I later found one below the asking price without the idiot mark. I bought that one.

My point is that idiot marks on Kimbers and Springfield will cost you. Idiot marks on Les Baer, Wilson, Guncrafter and other premium 1911's will cost you sales. People that buy those expect the people that own premium know how not to screw them up. It is just easier to keep shopping and find one that was treated correctly. Buyers will pay for that.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:29   #74
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post
I'm pretty sure the military trains their recruits how to assemble a pistol without wrecking it.
An idiot mark doesn't wreck a pistol, especially a pistol that doesn't belong to the GIs.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:32   #75
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Each 1911 would have its own sweet spot and you simply have to find it.

Some of mine are undersized (or oversized) that it would require a rap of a rubber mallet to get the slide release lever to go in, but yes, it does go in straight without the need to swing or twist around.

When I was an pro-temp armorer for my unit, I simply didn't give a damn about the idiot mark because a) it doesn't hurt the gun, and b) it ain't my gun.

Nowadays, I own a handful of these suckers and I'd try my damndest not to get an idiot mark on the new ones. The used ones, I can't do much about. It's weird because I'm not afraid of scratching them up while packing or playing at the range, but the idiot mark drives me nuts.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:07   #76
PhotoFeller

1911 guys used to suggest that beginners use a little piece of masking tape or a thin piece of plastic as a protectant to prevent the scratch until the assembler gets the 'feel' for how the parts properly go together.

Comments about the "hacks" who scratch their 1911 frames smack a bit of a 'know-it-all' attitude. People, including lots of really smart ones, have been flubbing 1911 re-assembly for a hundred years. Yes, it hurts value. It also teaches a very valuable lesson for folks who stick with 1911s. Thats why I intentionally started out with a less costly RIA to learn about 1911 mechanics.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-25-2012 at 10:17..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 18:34   #77
norton

Guess it depends on the use of the 1911. Lots of people seem to buy guns just to show them off to their friends. Ok by me-
I buy my guns to use. To shoot. Often.
As a friend of mine says-he's a car guy-chrome don't get you home-same principal here
If you are concerned about cosmetic wear on a pistol, might I suggest a Glock?
Old 10-30-2012, 22:16   #78
cciman

Yeah, there is the lingering stink of arrogance...like that dead mouse in the crawlspace

I own close to a dozen 1911's (Colts, Kimber, SA, you name em), since the mid 80's. I do not enjoy taking them apart nor putting them back together.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06   #79
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

It's really rather easy. Like with everything, you just have to know
a few simple tricks to make reassembly so much easier.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:25   #80
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
It's really rather easy. Like with everything, you just have to know
a few simple tricks to make reassembly so much easier.
Yuuuuuuup....
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote