SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 16:28   #26
Hooba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
Windows 7 won't even install with less than 1GB RAM. It should be a crime to sell a Windows PC with less than 4GB RAM.

I consider 4 to be the bare minimum for any Windows 7 machine.

Get as much RAM as you can put into your machine. If your motherboard won't handle more than 2GB RAM, get a new machine or stop complaining.
I just installed Win7 Pro yesterday on an old IBM Thinkpad T42. 512mb of memory, 40Gb hard drive and an Intel Mobile processor.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-12-2012, 16:29   #27
PrecisionRifleman

Slackware Linux would run MUCH better on that machine....or any machine...

G20SF
Gen4 G23

Last edited by PrecisionRifleman; 10-12-2012 at 16:35..
PrecisionRifleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:56   #28
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
Slackware Linux would run MUCH better on that machine....or any machine...

I'm a Linux guy myself, but Slackware is not the Distro to really recommend to a windows user.
Old 10-21-2012, 18:33   #29
PrecisionRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
I'm a Linux guy myself, but Slackware is not the Distro to really recommend to a windows user.
For many people Ubuntu is a better place to get into the world of Linux. However I think a lot of people are afraid of a distro like Slackware because of a fear of the command line. That being said I think Slackware is the most simple, clean, and straight forward district there is. You get nothing you don't want and everything you need, and of course you can add to it as you like.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10   #30
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
For many people Ubuntu is a better place to get into the world of Linux. However I think a lot of people are afraid of a distro like Slackware because of a fear of the command line. That being said I think Slackware is the most simple, clean, and straight forward district there is. You get nothing you don't want and everything you need, and of course you can add to it as you like.

I'd agree w/ Slackware..

However... You're talking a Windows user. Windows users are pretty much used to "click this, and it works"... That is not Slackware. Unless someone really wants to dive into the guts of Linux (which is pretty unlikely for a new user), Slackware is definitely not the place to start. Frankly, I don't know anyone who "started" with Slackware (recently anyway). For the new Linux user, Ubuntu is really where it's at. I prefer a straight Debian install, but I have Ubuntu on my laptop, mainly because setting up wireless isn't a total PITA.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:25   #31
michael_b
BRC #1492

Make sure you Aero UI elements turned off. Even on my machine with a quad core processor, dual graphics cards, and 12GB of RAM- I notice a difference.

-On mobile

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 16:39   #32
lwt210

Ordered 8gb of ram from Crucial yesterday. Might be a waste but I am going to see if I get any more performance out of my subnotebook/netbook with it installed.

It was cheap so I won't be out much if going from 4 to 8 is barely noticeable. I'll find out next week.
Old 10-26-2012, 15:31   #33
lwt210

Installed that 8 gig today and can tell quite a bit of improvement in most all aspects of Windows 7 as well as internet surfing/multi-tasking....which this netbook isn't really designed to do.

Well worth the 38 bucks and change. Very simple to install as well.