Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:21   #1
MLittle

Colt LW Commander full lgth guide rod

I'm relatively new to 1911's. I purchased a Colt LW Commander a year or so ago and was wondering about the stainless full length guide rod in it. I've read some blog sights where "experts" say it should be removed and replaced with a GI short guide rod to enhance reliability and to ease take down. Is there an answer to this issue? My Colt now has over 1,000 rounds through it. I did have quite a few malfunctions during the first couple hundred rounds, but none since. I also don't have a problem with take down with the full length guide rod. Should I replace it, or leave it as is?? Final question....do you use a different recoil spring with a full length guide rod vs short, or can you use the same one??
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 13:07   #2
Line Rider

From a 1911 Purist

If your gun has a barrel bushing I'd dump the guide rod and put in a commander recoil plug, spring guide and 17 - 20# spring.

John Browning designed it that way a 101 years ago and it still works today. I haven't never seen an improvement in accuracy with a FLG. If anything can go wrong it will with a FLG since it's a two piece rod. Like we say here in the South, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Another point is that the FLG is added weight. The purpose of an aluminum frame is to make the gun lighter for carry. The added weight of a FLG is defeating the purpose of the aluminum frame by adding weight. Yes, it's only a few ounces, but ounces become pound by the end of the day. What do you think cops are carried Glocks and not wheel guns or full size steel 1911A1's.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I changed the full length guide rod out because I didn't like the extra difficulty in disassembly. It may not be a big deal to others, but it bugs me enough to go back and throw in the GI-style short rod and solid plug.

It's all about personal preference.

PS I used the same spring. Just make sure that the recoil spring plug and GI-style rods are made for the Commander (they're shorter than the full size's version).

Last edited by fnfalman; 10-22-2012 at 09:13..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 15:09   #4
kantor99

Colt Commander

I tried going the other way. My Colt LWT Commander came with the short rod and I tried a full length one. Turned a perfectly functioning gun into frustrating FTF disaster.
kantor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50   #5
broncobuddha1

I've got a similar issue. I bought my 10mm CBOB used and the PO put in a flgr with a shok buff. It has less than a 1000 rds through it and I have had some FTFs and FTEs. Im going to remove the shok buff and flgr and put a GI rod and plug in.

Should I just go to DW for those or somewhere else?
broncobuddha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:25   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobuddha1 View Post
I've got a similar issue. I bought my 10mm CBOB used and the PO put in a flgr with a shok buff. It has less than a 1000 rds through it and I have had some FTFs and FTEs. Im going to remove the shok buff and flgr and put a GI rod and plug in.

Should I just go to DW for those or somewhere else?
Practically everybody and their brothers make Commander plug and GI style rod. Just go to Brownell's and pick them out of a quality manufacturer. Or get the ones from Colt because they're cheap and functional.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35   #7
broncobuddha1

Im also thinking of repoacing the spring to stock as im not sure if it was changed either. thanks!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Im also thinking of repoacing the spring to stock as im not sure if it was changed either. thanks!
The spring probably is stock, but it's so cheap, actually all these three parts should be less than $30, might as well do it for your peace of mind.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:08   #9
MLittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Rider View Post
If your gun has a barrel bushing I'd dump the guide rod and put in a commander recoil plug, spring guide and 17 - 20# spring.

John Browning designed it that way a 101 years ago and it still works today. I haven't never seen an improvement in accuracy with a FLG. If anything can go wrong it will with a FLG since it's a two piece rod. Like we say here in the South, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Another point is that the FLG is added weight. The purpose of an aluminum frame is to make the gun lighter for carry. The added weight of a FLG is defeating the purpose of the aluminum frame by adding weight. Yes, it's only a few ounces, but ounces become pound by the end of the day. What do you think cops are carried Glocks and not wheel guns or full size steel 1911A1's.
My flg rod is one piece stainless.....the way it was shipped from Colt. You say a "17-20 # spring"...... What is standard weight from Colt and how sensitive are the LW Commanders to different spring weights as far as affecting reliability??
Old 10-25-2012, 11:03   #10
broncobuddha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The spring probably is stock, but it's so cheap, actually all these three parts should be less than $30, might as well do it for your peace of mind.

Yep, probably a wise thing to do. Does brownells have a good variety of plugs/designs? i may not want just a blank face on the end.
Old 10-25-2012, 14:51   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Yep, probably a wise thing to do. Does brownells have a good variety of plugs/designs? i may not want just a blank face on the end.
I'm sure they do. For me, I just ordered the Colt parts and reuse the stock spring since that the gun was brand new.
Old 10-27-2012, 15:07   #12
1canvas

the stock spring weight is 18lbs. I have a Wilson full length one piece rod and it's easier to disassemble than stock and I have never had an issue with it.
as said the added weight does make a big difference while carrying so I just keep the stock one in.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 15:30   #13
countrygun

Yup Ditch the FLGR.

Since you are a new owner I just have to warn you as I do with all new owners of the LW Commander (for my own peice of mind) Don't let anyone dink with, polish etc, the feed ramp beyond what the factory has done. The AL frame is anodized and if you cut through that, in the feed ramp, bad things can happen
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 16:01   #14
MLittle

Are you saying the feedramp is aluminum? I would have thought they would have used a stainless insert to better stand up to the abrasion in that part of the firearm. You know, the Colt is a beautiful pistol, but for some reason it just doesn't look as durable and robust as my Sig P220's. I shoot my Colt but don't carry it because it just looks fragile to me and it also doesn't have night sights.