GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43   #151
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
You're thinking of convective and conductive needing a medium to transfer. Convective needs a medium to set up convective currents in and conductive needs a medium to conduct through. Only radiant heat (infrared radiation) can travel through a vacuum. Nothing to do at all with whether the heat comes from the earth or the cosmos.
Thanks.
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-28-2012 at 03:44..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:52   #152
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
What are the names of these scientists? What are the titles of the papers they have published on this topic?
No one, other than you, knows any such thing.
Rather than making a completely baseless assertion, why don't you try producing some evidence in support of your claims, for variety if nothing else.
Simply google: scientists explain explosions of population III stars and or first-generation stars

ETA: Also google: star novae and overcoming the helium mass 4 gap
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-28-2012 at 03:54..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:12   #153
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,419


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
ETA: Also google: star novae and overcoming the helium mass 4 gap
Please provide a single cite from a cosmologist or nuclear physicist that truly believes this to be an insurmountable barrier who isn't also pushing a creationist apologetics agenda (i.e. one who isn't subject to confirmation bias).

The problem is that you are thinking in a simplistic linear fashion (like most creationists do) and errantly assuming that the only way to get from He4 to heavier elements is through He5. You are also making the mistake of assuming that just because the probability of a specific reaction is extremely small that this equates to it being "impossible". You are simply wrong on both counts.

The triple alpha process (aka "helium burning") can make carbon through the combination of two He4 nuclei into beryllium-8 (Be8) and then the Be8 can combine with another He4 to make carbon-12 (C12). The carbon (in some cases) can then fuse with yet another He4 to make O16. Lithium-5 (Li5) can also arise out this type of reaction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_alpha_process
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-28-2012 at 07:17..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 13:50   #154
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,599
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Gases here on earth neither "condense," "contract," nor "clump together" on their own. There is not enough gravitational pull from gas atoms to cause them to condense.

Now, lets put these gases into outer space. HELLO! Space is a vacuum! If gases here on earth do not "contract," how are they going to do so in a vacuum such as is outer space? However, a star does certainly draw gases into its matter, but it is ALREADY a star. It is a fantastic undermining of Science in general to believe that a star could simply form by the way of gravitational pull.
I recognize that you're a Young Earth Creationist and as such science denial has been elevated to an art form, but you have to pretend to try. Why would you suggest that if gases don't contract on earth that they wouldn't in space? Any research to support the assertion that gas would be more likely to collapse on earth rather than in space?

Let's think... what on earth might interfere with gases self-gravitating on earth? Hint: the approximate mass is 5.97 × 10^24 kilograms.

What mass of gas are you considering on earth compared to what mass of gas in space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Lastly, again, ALL OF THE GAS CLOUDS IN OUTER SPACE ARE SHOWN TO BE EXPANDING. How do you magically get one part of a cloud to contract? Sorry, it has never been observed as it never happened. In physical Science, we learned that any gases introduced into a vacuum would immediately expand. Stars forming by themselves won't ever happen based on actual Science.
I suspect I'm just naive in this regard, but is there any chance that you would care to share a refereed (peer-reviewed) paper that supports your assertions that "ALL OF THE GAS CLOUDS IN OUTER SPACE ARE SHOWN TO BE EXPANDING" and "Stars forming by themselves won't ever happen based on actual Science"? Given that the request was first to put to you over 16 months ago I suspect I have my answer.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 13:51   #155
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Simply google: scientists explain explosions of population III stars and or first-generation stars

ETA: Also google: star novae and overcoming the helium mass 4 gap
No.

You are making the claims, it is incumbent upon you to provide the evidence and justification for those claims. I realize you can't (because they don't exist) but it isn't my job to go off on a fruitless google adventure to try and figure out what you actually mean.

Given your demonstrated failure to consider or comprehend the numerous observations and resulting publications on stellar formation, you'll understand if I don't hold my breath waiting.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 13:54   #156
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Gases here on earth neither "condense," "contract," nor "clump together" on their own. There is not enough gravitational pull from gas atoms to cause them to condense.

Now, lets put these gases into outer space. HELLO! Space is a vacuum! If gases here on earth do not "contract," how are they going to do so in a vacuum such as is outer space? However, a star does certainly draw gases into its matter, but it is ALREADY a star. It is a fantastic undermining of Science in general to believe that a star could simply form by the way of gravitational pull.

Lastly, again, ALL OF THE GAS CLOUDS IN OUTER SPACE ARE SHOWN TO BE EXPANDING. How do you magically get one part of a cloud to contract? Sorry, it has never been observed as it never happened. In physical Science, we learned that any gases introduced into a vacuum would immediately expand. Stars forming by themselves won't ever happen based on actual Science.
Is there any specific reason, other than being completely wrong, that you haven't provided any references for these assertions?
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 18:56   #157
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
No.

You are making the claims, it is incumbent upon you to provide the evidence and justification for those claims. I realize you can't (because they don't exist) but it isn't my job to go off on a fruitless google adventure to try and figure out what you actually mean.

Given your demonstrated failure to consider or comprehend the numerous observations and resulting publications on stellar formation, you'll understand if I don't hold my breath waiting.
No, I am speaking with someone else and you keep interrupting. If you want to a rational dialogue, start a topic on which you'd like to discuss.

We've, you and I, have debated on GT for years. You're willingly ignorant and refuse to accept what is no0t inline with your presuppositions and evolutionary worldview. Okay, I get it, but I don't have to continually entertain your irrational, obsessive (if not psychotic) extremism when it comes to the topic of the theory of evolution and or the Holy Bible.

Simply put, I am not here to try to change your mind -am-, and I am sure not obligated to respond tit-for-tat to your incessant, out of place postings. If you want to discuss a particular topic, fine, let me know what it is, but stop trying to interrupt other ongoing discussions.
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-28-2012 at 19:31..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 19:28   #158
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Please provide a single cite from a cosmologist or nuclear physicist that truly believes this to be an insurmountable barrier who isn't also pushing a creationist apologetics agenda (i.e. one who isn't subject to confirmation bias).

The problem is that you are thinking in a simplistic linear fashion (like most creationists do) and errantly assuming that the only way to get from He4 to heavier elements is through He5. You are also making the mistake of assuming that just because the probability of a specific reaction is extremely small that this equates to it being "impossible". You are simply wrong on both counts.

The triple alpha process (aka "helium burning") can make carbon through the combination of two He4 nuclei into beryllium-8 (Be8) and then the Be8 can combine with another He4 to make carbon-12 (C12). The carbon (in some cases) can then fuse with yet another He4 to make O16. Lithium-5 (Li5) can also arise out this type of reaction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_alpha_process
If you are going to invoke the triple alpha process to overcome the gap then you've obviously only recently googled anything about this subject. In other words, the 13.7 to 20 billion year timeline is no where near sufficient to attribute "gap jumping" to the triple alpha process as this process take WAY TOO LONG to support the current timeline for the universe.

Can you find anything else? I mean, even if you're given this highly unprovable, improbable process working as theorized, where is all the additional billions of years worth of time you will need to jump the gaps?

As for a citation, here ya go: This small concentration of Be-8 can begin to undergo reactions with other He-4 nuclei to produce an excited state of the mass-12 isotope of Carbon. This excited state is unstable, but a few of these excited Carbon nuclei emit a gamma-ray quickly enough to become stable before they disintegrate. This extremely improbable sequence is called the triple-alpha process because the net effect is to combine 3 alpha particles (that is, 3 He-4 nuclei) to form a C-12 nucleus.


"There has not been enough time since the beginning [i.e., the big bang] for such an agglomeration to gather together out of an originally homogeneous universe." Science News (1979)
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-28-2012 at 19:30..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 19:41   #159
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Is there any specific reason, other than being completely wrong, that you haven't provided any references for these assertions?
You're a physicist and you need references? Hey, I know of no mechanism in outer space that can clump gases together so as to produce a star. hey, this very well may be so because I am simply ignorant of the mechanism. I studied topic for a long time, and I haven't found anything but highly improbable theories, as opposed to actual Science, to reveal a mechanism for star formation.


Can you show me an observable instance of gasses clumping together? (NOTE: Please do not post yet more photos of nebulae as everyone knows that they are expanding and NOT condensing/contracting.)
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 19:49   #160
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,419


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
You're a physicist and you need references?
Here's a hint, we already know you can't find any. Why, because what you are proposing is nonsensical and impossible.

Quote:
Hey, I know of no mechanism in outer space that can clump gases together so as to produce a star.
You aren't aware of gravity? Really?



Quote:
Please do not post yet more photos of nebulae as everyone knows that they are expanding and NOT condensing/contracting.)
I call BS on this as well. I don't think your assertion is true. Please provide references that all known nebulae are expanding.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-28-2012 at 19:49..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:08   #161
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,599
Blog Entries: 1
So here you are asking Animal Mother to stop interrupting,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
No, I am speaking with someone else and you keep interrupting... If you want to discuss a particular topic, fine, let me know what it is, but stop trying to interrupt other ongoing discussions.
but here you are acknowledging that Animal Mother is part of this same star formation discussion along with Geko45 and me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
-am-, or geko45, (ETA) or artificial grape, just so as to make our respective points more clear...
What gives, why are you trying to exclude him now?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:21   #162
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Here's a hint, we already know you can't find any. Why, because what you are proposing is nonsensical and impossible.

You aren't aware of gravity? Really?



I call BS on this as well. I don't think your assertion is true. Please provide references that all known nebulae are expanding.
The BS comes from the evos as no one has been able to observe it happening, and it is a hard luck (my terminology) theory from the evos as it was postulated so as to explain something that Science cannot prove. You can believe it if you want to, but physical science laws strike it down as impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
... I suspect I'm just naive in this regard, but is there any chance that you would care to share a refereed (peer-reviewed) paper that supports your assertions that "ALL OF THE GAS CLOUDS IN OUTER SPACE ARE SHOWN TO BE EXPANDING" and "Stars forming by themselves won't ever happen based on actual Science"? Given that the request was first to put to you over 16 months ago I suspect I have my answer.

-ArtificialGrape
The Nebular Hypothesis (from the 1700's IIRC) has been repeatedly challenged and shown to be impossible due to actual scientific observations in the 20th century. The theory itself has had to evolve.

Attempts to explain both the expansion of the universe and the condensation of galaxies must be largely contradictory so long as gravitation is the only force field under consideration. For if the expansive kinetic energy of matter is adequate to give universal expansion against the gravitational field, it is adequate to prevent local condensation under gravity, and vice versa. That is why, essentially, the formation of galaxies is passed over with little comment in most systems of cosmology.” D.B. Larson, Universe in Motion (1984) page 8
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-28-2012 at 20:21..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:21   #163
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,599
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
You're a physicist and you need references? Hey, I know of no mechanism in outer space that can clump gases together so as to produce a star. hey, this very well may be so because I am simply ignorant of the mechanism. I studied topic for a long time, and I haven't found anything but highly improbable theories, as opposed to actual Science, to reveal a mechanism for star formation.
You previously stated that, "I reiterate, all available research I could find indicates that stars cannot form by themselves".

I'm still waiting for you to provide any of this wealth of all available research.

thanks,
-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:24   #164
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
So here you are asking Animal Mother to stop interrupting,

but here you are acknowledging that Animal Mother is part of this same star formation discussion along with Geko45 and me.

What gives, why are you trying to exclude him now?

-ArtificialGrape
Are you serious?!? Wow... just wow. (LOL_ Speechless... I hope you can figure it out.)

Never mind, we cross-posted.
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-28-2012 at 20:30..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:35   #165
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
You previously stated that, "I reiterate, all available research I could find indicates that stars cannot form by themselves".

I'm still waiting for you to provide any of this wealth of all available research.

thanks,
-ArtificialGrape
Let me put it this way: ALL available research that's believable or based on Science indicates that stars cannot form by themselves. For instance, Martin Harwit's Astrophysical Concepts (1973) ETA: Peruse his position on hydrogen forming together by itself in outer space.
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-28-2012 at 20:36..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:54   #166
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
No, I am speaking with someone else and you keep interrupting.
That must be very disconcerting for you having multiple people ask you to produce evidence at the same time. Perhaps you could solve your conundrum by producing that evidence.
Quote:
If you want to a rational dialogue, start a topic on which you'd like to discuss.
I have. Unfortunately, your standard tactic is to make sweeping declarations and attempt to end the discussion. When that fails, you feign offense and flee. See the discussion of Luke in this thread for an example.
Quote:
We've, you and I, have debated on GT for years.
"Debate" implies you've ever actually produced any facts in support of your position. This is not the case.
Quote:
You're willingly ignorant and refuse to accept what is no0t inline with your presuppositions and evolutionary worldview.
I refuse to accept that for which there is no evidence. That this happens to coincide with the position you advocate can't rightfully be blamed on me.
Quote:
Okay, I get it,
I highly doubt this is the case.
Quote:
but I don't have to continually entertain your irrational, obsessive (if not psychotic) extremism when it comes to the topic of the theory of evolution and or the Holy Bible.
To reiterate, that "extremism" consists of asking for evidence that supports the position you claim. Evidence which you uniformly fail to produce. To clarify, things like "google it" don't qualify as producing evidence, just in case you don't get it.
Quote:
Simply put, I am not here to try to change your mind -am-, and I am sure not obligated to respond tit-for-tat to your incessant, out of place postings.
You claim something is true and supported by all available evidence, I ask you to produce that evidence, you retreat into insult. Where is the out of place posting in that chain?
Quote:
If you want to discuss a particular topic, fine, let me know what it is, but stop trying to interrupt other ongoing discussions.
Ok, how about Lucy's knee?
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:02   #167
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
That must be very disconcerting for you having multiple people ask you to produce evidence at the same time. Perhaps you could solve your conundrum by producing that evidence.
I have. Unfortunately, your standard tactic is to make sweeping declarations and attempt to end the discussion. When that fails, you feign offense and flee. See the discussion of Luke in this thread for an example.
"Debate" implies you've ever actually produced any facts in support of your position. This is not the case.
I refuse to accept that for which there is no evidence. That this happens to coincide with the position you advocate can't rightfully be blamed on me.
I highly doubt this is the case.
To reiterate, that "extremism" consists of asking for evidence that supports the position you claim. Evidence which you uniformly fail to produce. To clarify, things like "google it" don't qualify as producing evidence, just in case you don't get it.
You claim something is true and supported by all available evidence, I ask you to produce that evidence, you retreat into insult. Where is the out of place posting in that chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Ok, how about Lucy's knee?
Yeah, I'm sure you would have found out how ludicrous the find was by now. I guess you refuse to believe the truth about "her" knee as well huh?
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:03   #168
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
You're a physicist and you need references?
For your claims? Yes, I do. My being a physicist gives very little insight into your absurd claims. Will those references be forthcoming any time soon?
Quote:
Hey, I know of no mechanism in outer space that can clump gases together so as to produce a star.
You're ignorant. Noted. Being a physicist, I am aware of such a mechanism. It's called gravitation.
Quote:
hey, this very well may be so because I am simply ignorant of the mechanism.
Apparently.
Quote:
I studied topic for a long time, and I haven't found anything but highly improbable theories, as opposed to actual Science, to reveal a mechanism for star formation.
Perhaps you need to study harder.
Quote:
Can you show me an observable instance of gasses clumping together? (NOTE: Please do not post yet more photos of nebulae as everyone knows that they are expanding and NOT condensing/contracting.)
No, everyone does not know that. Nor does everyone know that it is impossible for a nebular cloud as a whole to expand while specific regions within it collapse into protostars. People don't know these things because observation, that being the pictures you so dislike, show us exactly the opposite to be true.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:13   #169
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,419


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
You can believe it if you want to, but physical science laws strike it down as impossible
Which physical laws? Boyle's Law? Is that all you got? Please show me the component of Boyle's Law that incorporates the effects of gravity? Can you even write Boyle's Law down without having to google it first?

You are ignorant of science and with each post you demonstrate further your complete lack of understanding of the relevant principles on this cosmologic scale.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:18   #170
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,419


A simulation of star formation based on actual physical laws.


Waiting for Peace Warrior's model of gas clouds that can't form into stars.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-28-2012 at 21:18..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:25   #171
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
The BS comes from the evos as no one has been able to observe it happening,
Except every astrophysicist and astronomer who's bothered to look through a telescope.
Quote:
The Nebular Hypothesis (from the 1700's IIRC) has been repeatedly challenged and shown to be impossible due to actual scientific observations in the 20th century. The theory itself has had to evolve.

Attempts to explain both the expansion of the universe and the condensation of galaxies must be largely contradictory so long as gravitation is the only force field under consideration. For if the expansive kinetic energy of matter is adequate to give universal expansion against the gravitational field, it is adequate to prevent local condensation under gravity, and vice versa. That is why, essentially, the formation of galaxies is passed over with little comment in most systems of cosmology.” D.B. Larson, Universe in Motion (1984) page 8
What's this? An actual reference? Why, this might throw everything we know out the window. Unless, of course, the book is available online and we're able to read the next two paragraphs:

In the universe of motion the inward and outward forces arrive at an equilibrium, as indicated in the foregoing paragraphs. No condensation would take place if this equilibrium persisted, but the continued introduction of new matter from the cosmic sector alters the situation. The added mass strengthens the gravitational force, and initiates a contraction. The decrease in the distance between particles increases the gravitational force still further. The contraction is thus a self-reinforcing process, and once it is started it accelerates,

The two processes that have been described, the gradual contraction of the very large diffuse aggregate and the consolidation of the individual atoms and sub-atomic particles into molecules and dust particles, take place coincidentally. The drastic reduction in the number of separate units in the aggregate resulting from the consolidation results in an excess of empty space within the contracting volume, and causes the contracting sphere of matter to break up into a large number of smaller aggregates separated by nearly empty space. The product is a globular cluster, in which a large number of submasses—up to a million or more—are contained within the overall gravitational limit of a large spherical aggregate. Each of the sub-masses is outside the gravitational limits of its neighbors, and is therefore moving away from them, but it is being pulled inward by the gravitational force of the entire aggregate.
Well now, that's really inconvenient for your argument, isn't it PW? It also seems to indicate that you were quote mining and attempting to misrepresent the author's intent. Of course, I'm not endorsing Larson's theories, but the quotes above are from a review of mainstream scientific theory.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:30   #172
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Let me put it this way: ALL available research that's believable or based on Science indicates that stars cannot form by themselves. For instance, Martin Harwit's Astrophysical Concepts (1973) ETA: Peruse his position on hydrogen forming together by itself in outer space.
My copy of Dr. Harwit's book is 712 pages. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about where support for your position can be found.

Edit:

From the cited book, the section is entitled Star Formation:
We believe that no star has existed forever — because sooner or later its energy sup-ply must run out — and so we must account for the birth of stars. Inasmuch as those
stars that we believe to be young are always found close to clouds of interstellar dust and gas, we argue that such clouds of cosmic matter must be contracting slowly, giving rise to increasingly compact condensations, some of which eventually collapse
down to stellar size.

This picture makes a good deal of sense. Dust grains in interstellar space are very effective at radiating away heat. When a hydrogen atom in a cloud of dust and gas collides with a cold dust grain, the grain becomes slightly heated and radiates away this energy in the infrared part of the electromagnetic spectrum. This results in a net loss of kinetic energy of the gas, which gravitates toward the center of the cloud, gains some kinetic energy in falling, and again transfers a part of this to ambient dust grains to repeat the cooling cycle. The gas also transfers some of its centrally directed momentum to grains, thus also causing the grains to drift in toward the center of the contracting cloud. The cloud as a whole contracts.

Grain radiation is not the only radiative process that rids a protostellar cloud of energy. As it collapses, the protostar becomes progressively hotter, and various molecular and atomic states are excited through collisions. The excited particles emit radiation to return to their ground states. As radiation escapes, the net loss of energy cools the cloud (Fig. 1.2).

Attractive though it is, there are difficulties with this picture. First, the protostar cannot just lose energy in forming a star. It must also lose angular momentum.

The amount of matter needed to form a star from an interstellar cloud with a density 10^3atoms cm^−3 requires the collapse of gas from a volume whose initial radius r would be of order 10^18 cm. Over such distances, the observed rotational velocity v, about the cloud’s center might be ~10^4 cm s^−1 for a cold Galactic molecular cloud, so that the angular momentum per unit mass rv~10^22 cm^2 s^−1. In contrast, the observed surface velocities of typical stars indicate an angular momentum per
unit mass many orders of magnitude lower: 10^16 to 10^18.3 cm^2 s^−1. For the Sun, it is only ~10^15 cm^2 s^-1, but the angular momentum of the Solar System taken as a whole corresponds to 10^17 cm^2 s^−1. Entries in Table 1.4 allow us to conclude that most of the angular momentum resides in the motion of Jupiter orbiting the Sun. A comparison of the rotational velocities of stars given in Table A.4 of Appendix A, further indicates that the angular momentum of the entire Solar System equals that of more massive stars of spectral types F and A. It is therefore tempting to associate the observed low angular momentum of less massive stars with the formation of planetary systems. The initially contracting cloud of interstellar matter somehow contrives to redistribute almost all of its angular momentum to a gaseous disk that eventually gives rise to orbiting planets. Only a small fraction of the angular momentum is retained by the star.

A similar problem concerns themagnetic fieldinitially present in the interstellar medium. If this field is predominantly oriented along some given direction, then the final field after contraction of the cloud to form a star would also have that direction. The flux density B of the magnetic field permeating a cloud is inversely proportional to the cross-section of the area of the cloud as it contracts, as long as the magnetic lines of force act as if frozen to the partially ionized gas (Section 6:2). Thus, the number of these lines of force threading through the cross-sectional area stays constant. A field, B, initially as weak as 10^−6 gauss would become some 10^14 times stronger as the protostellar radius decreased from 10^18 down to 10^11 cm. Actual fields found on the surfaces of stars like the Sun are of the order of one gauss, and the highest fields observed in a few peculiar stars only range up to tens of thousands of gauss. Protostellar contraction must therefore beaccompanied by destruction or loss of magnetic field lines permeating the interstellar material. How this loss occurs is still under active investigation.
I don't see Dr. Harwit saying stars can't form here, do you? Perhaps your evidence comes from a different portion of the book though. If so, I'm sure you'll share the specific section or page number with us.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."

Last edited by Animal Mother; 10-28-2012 at 22:31..
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:31   #173
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,419


Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
What's this? An actual reference? Why, this might throw everything we know out the window. Unless, of course, the book is available online and we're able to read the next two paragraphs:
I guess that explains why he didn't provide a link.

Peace Warrior, I've only ever called one other person here a damn liar (CavDoc). Congratulations on being the second, if you are right about there being a god then you'll have to hope he forgives you for your willful deceptions.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:31   #174
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Let the fleeing begin.
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure you would have found out how ludicrous the find was by now. I guess you refuse to believe the truth about "her" knee as well huh?
What truth is that exactly?
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:33   #175
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,239
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
... It's called gravitation. ...
Okay, you're on record as gravity being the cause. I have to go, but I will be right back. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
For your claims? Yes, I do. My being a physicist gives very little insight into your absurd claims. Will those references be forthcoming any time soon?
You're ignorant. Noted. Being a physicist, I am aware of such a mechanism. ...
Apparently.
Perhaps you need to study harder.
No, everyone does not know that. Nor does everyone know that it is impossible for a nebular cloud as a whole to expand while specific regions within it collapse into protostars. People don't know these things because observation, that being the pictures you so dislike, show us exactly the opposite to be true.
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:25.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,278
359 Members
919 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42