SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:27   #1
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Anyone used CAD?

How difficult are the CAD programs to use? Is there an easier program that still produces the same results?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 15:19   #2
Ragin Cajun

Depends on what you plan to do.

I am in engineering and Auto CAD is near or at the top of the heap. There's Microstation but I personally don't think it compares - IMHO.

Nothing else will do since I MUST have seamless interface and interchange with clients and associates.

I have run Auto CAD since at least 1967 and without it I would not be in business. It ain't cheap but it's a cost of doing business.

Get training at your local technical school. It will be worth every penny. That's what I did.

RC

Last edited by Ragin Cajun; 11-01-2012 at 15:20..
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 17:52   #3
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I have used http://www.smartdraw.com/ for years designing decks, remodel jobs, cabinets and all sorts of stuff. I still think you can download it free for a certain time. I liked it so much I bought it.
Old 11-01-2012, 19:14   #4
eaglefrq
NRA Member

My boss called earlier and asked if I had ever worked with CAD. I have a business trip coming up and the big boss wanted me to take some measurements (I'm not sure for what) and then put them in CAD.

I told him I haven't used CAD before, but I would be willing to try. He said don't worry about it because the program is very expensive. That tells me that we don't have a copy of it yet.
Old 11-01-2012, 19:16   #5
crazycooter91
Roll Tide

I am in school for drafting, what do you need to know about autocad?
crazycooter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:39   #6
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycooter91 View Post
I am in school for drafting, what do you need to know about autocad?
Just some general info...

Is it difficult to use? I usually pick up working with different programs fairly easily. I just don't want to assume it would be simple and my company buys the program and then I can't do anything with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 19:47   #7
Reswob

AutoCAD is pretty difficult to just pick up and use with no instruction. Inventor is a much better program, and more intuitive, although if you're strictly doing architectural drawings CAD may be better in the long run.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:42   #8
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
cad is easy enough but is much easier with a bit of practice using the text shortcuts. i use it fairly regularly. i do alot of sheetmetal design, circuitry and wiring diagrams on it.
Old 11-02-2012, 21:23   #9
Cadcom

Take a look at Google Sketchup. Entry level and it's free. If you need more than that then there is always Autocad LT. It's gonna run you around $1000.00 U.S.
Cadcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:41   #10
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Thanks for the answers and suggestions for alternate programs.
Old 11-02-2012, 22:41   #11
Hef
Stop Obammunism

I use Chief Architect X4 for residential and light commercial design, and for cabinets. It isn't hard but it takes a few years to become proficient. It does excellent 3D modeling and allows for the importation of SKP models and materials to customize your designs.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37   #12
R2D2

I have used MS Visio for over 10 years and it is perfect for doing floor plans, detail drawings, elevations, etc. I have worked with AutoCad in the past and found it to be one of the most un-intuitive programs ever designed, certainly it is not a program that you just install and use.

Visio has a trail version (60 day)

Here is the link

http://visio.microsoft.com/en-us/Try..._for_Free.aspx
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21   #13
bchandler

CAD is a generic acronym for Computer Aided Design. It does not mean AutoCAD. AutoCAD is one product out of hundreds, all of which help you do CAD.

I use Pro/Engineer every day at work, another leading CAD program. Some others are SolidWorks, NX, and Catia. Most companies will invest in only one product as their bread and butter CAD program, sometimes buying a few licenses of others for specialty work. These programs are quite complicated and take years to become fully proficient with. I know senior engineers who have been using Pro/E their whole careers, since it came out, and they still learn new features constantly.

Honestly if you just have to make a quick model for your boss and this will not be your full time job, and you are not an engineer who needs the precision, try Google Sketchup. It is free, super easy to use, and you can get an OK model out of it.
bchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:23   #14
md2lgyk

There are a couple of free programs that are fairly comprehensive and compatible with AutoCAD. They were mentioned on a computer forum I visit a couple of days ago. Try a Google search and I'll try to resurrect the names.

I taught myself AutoCAD, but Sketchup is incomprehensible to me. Go figure.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 11-03-2012 at 13:26..
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:38   #15
havensal
CLM Number 216
Nozzle Jockey

Give draftsight a try. This CAD package is put out by Dysault Systems, the makers of Solidworks. It's the only 2D software I have used in a couple of years. Very similar to AutoCAD, at least the last version of AutoCAD I have used. There may be some tutorials out there that would get you proficient enough to impress your boss. Did I mention it's free?
RTN Bodyguard Club #034 "FearMyLaserLytes"
havensal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:42   #16
crazycooter91
Roll Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
Just some general info...

Is it difficult to use? I usually pick up working with different programs fairly easily. I just don't want to assume it would be simple and my company buys the program and then I can't do anything with it.

It is simple with a little practice and instruction but it would be fairly complicated to someone just picking up the program and trying to teach themselves.
crazycooter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24   #17
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Thanks everyone for their suggestions on programs to use. I will discuss this with my boss today to see what he wants to do.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:34   #18
joe0121

Google Sketchup.
joe0121 is offline   Reply With Quote