SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2012, 20:06   #1
WiskyT
Malcontent

Google Earth on Ubuntu

I went to download Google Earth and it started out fine until I got some warnings about it not be from verified sources etc. I stopped there and figured I'd ask here if there is any reason I shouldn't install it. Is this just boilerplate warnings from Canonical because it isn't one of their products? Or could GE harm my computer?

Also, it's a .deb file. Do I "save" it or "open" it when I download? Does it install easily, or do I have to have superUbuntu powers to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:43   #2
douggmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I went to download Google Earth and it started out fine until I got some warnings about it not be from verified sources etc. I stopped there and figured I'd ask here if there is any reason I shouldn't install it. Is this just boilerplate warnings from Canonical because it isn't one of their products? Or could GE harm my computer?

Also, it's a .deb file. Do I "save" it or "open" it when I download? Does it install easily, or do I have to have superUbuntu powers to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Isn't Google Earth available via the Ubuntu Software Center? If so, just install from there.

If not, just double check you downloaded it from Google's site and just ignore the warning next time.

I think the warning is similar to what Apple does now if try to install downloaded software on OS X Mountain Lion. They would prefer you install software only from the App Store.
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:56   #3
douggmc

I just fired up a VM with Ubuntu and looked. It isn't in the Software Center (by default at least). I just installed it from command line. Here is a simple tutorial: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/...cise-pangolin/

I would ensure you run: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade ... to make sure you are up to date before you run the tutorial steps.
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 23:13   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
I just fired up a VM with Ubuntu and looked. It isn't in the Software Center (by default at least). I just installed it from command line. Here is a simple tutorial: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/...cise-pangolin/

I would ensure you run: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade ... to make sure you are up to date before you run the tutorial steps.
That should work... for some reason it did not for me. It installs fine, then when I tried to start Google Earth, I kept getting the 'Google Earth has caught a signal 11 error' and then it tells me to file a bug report and provides a crash log.

Are you using 64 or 32bit in the VM? I'm using 64bit

Some Googling suggested this was a fairly common problem. I ended up following the "Alternative Installation Method" on this link, and it worked fine.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth

To put this in laymans terms:
Open a new terminal window

Follow steps 1, 2, and 4 (if you want to read the manual, you can do step 3 as well)

Open up your home folder, and you should see a "googleearth.deb" file there (note, if it's not there... you ran step 4 in a different directory than home.. thus why I said to open a new terminal window)

Right click the ".deb" file, Choose "Open with Gdebi Package Installer"

After entering your password, simply click "Install Package" and watch it install. Pay attention, because you'll have to accept some user agreements for the fonts package, etc.

Hope that helps.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 11-01-2012 at 23:30..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
That should work... for some reason it did not for me. It installs fine, then when I tried to start Google Earth, I kept getting the 'Google Earth has caught a signal 11 error' and then it tells me to file a bug report and provides a crash log.

Are you using 64 or 32bit in the VM? I'm using 64bit

Some Googling suggested this was a fairly common problem. I ended up following the "Alternative Installation Method" on this link, and it worked fine.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth

To put this in laymans terms:
Open a new terminal window

Follow steps 1, 2, and 4 (if you want to read the manual, you can do step 3 as well)

Open up your home folder, and you should see a "googleearth.deb" file there (note, if it's not there... you ran step 4 in a different directory than home.. thus why I said to open a new terminal window)

Right click the ".deb" file, Choose "Open with Gdebi Package Installer"

After entering your password, simply click "Install Package" and watch it install. Pay attention, because you'll have to accept some user agreements for the fonts package, etc.

Hope that helps.
Layman here checking in: Your instructions worked perfectly as usual. The only deviation I found was that I was never prompted to sign any user agreements. I clicked install and in a minute or so it told me I was done. It works perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for your help, especially regarding that the app was safe to use. I figured it was, but I didn't want to install it and find it was screwing up an otherwise working computer.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Layman here checking in: Your instructions worked perfectly as usual. The only deviation I found was that I was never prompted to sign any user agreements. I clicked install and in a minute or so it told me I was done. It works perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for your help, especially regarding that the app was safe to use. I figured it was, but I didn't want to install it and find it was screwing up an otherwise working computer.
You probably had installed them already for another package, so you didn't need to install them with Google Earth.

Regardless, glad it all worked.

IGF
Old 11-02-2012, 16:55   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Google Earth has had problems with Debian based systems. That is why it is not included in available Ubuntu software. It doesn't seem to have problems with RPM based systems. There is a deb package for it but I think somewhere there is a warning about it maybe not working properly.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 11-02-2012 at 16:56..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:05   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

I've always used the .deb file on Google Earth's website, and never had a problem with it until this time.