GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10   #1
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
The difference between science and religion...

The difference between science and religion...

Religious Issues
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27   #2
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,862


Edit: On second thought, I won't stir the pot unnecessarily.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-08-2012 at 12:33..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:42   #3
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Religion:

A young minister gets an idea for a new slant on a New Testament story. Heís never heard of it before, so he assumes no one else has either. He does no research at all, writes it up and uses it for his next sermon. Several members of the congregation have heard the ministerís approach before and know itís been shot down by biblical scholars. But they donít tell him. Thereís no point in discouraging the guy. He made a good point using bad data, but no one was hurt. No harm, no foul.

Science:

A young researcher gets an idea for a new slant on particle physics. Heís never heard of it before, but he knows he canít assume itís new. He does his homework and canít find any reference to his idea. In the lab, he does some preliminary experiments and they look good. Then he spends weeks going through every experiment he can think of to disprove his hypothesis. He knows other scientists will do their best to shoot holes in it and he doesnít want to look like an ignorant fool. In the end, it still looks good, so he writes it up and submits it to a peer-reviewed journal. Two months later, they send it back. The young researcher has made a mistake. His hypothesis is invalid. The concept of ďno harm, no foulĒ never occurred to the review committee.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 23:14   #4
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Edit: On second thought, I won't stir the pot unnecessarily.
I wish you would. You're so good at it. Plus my thread is dying.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:22   #5
snowbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: land of the free
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
my thread is dying.
"The cosmic religious experience is the strongest and noblest driving force behind scientific research" -Albert Einstein

Your thread isn't dying, it's dead.
__________________
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-T. Roosevelt, President 1901-09, US soldier, martial artist, hiker, agriculteral worker, and conservationist, among other things.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:29   #6
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Threads die quickly for one of two reasons in this room...

1. Because they're true and no one can intelligently argue against them (This one).

2. Because they're written by crazy people and no one even bothers to read them (Anything you've written).
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 19:13   #7
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,862


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I wish you would. You're so good at it. Plus my thread is dying.
Very well, I wouldn't want to disappoint.

Religious Issues
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 11-03-2012 at 19:26..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:28   #8
snowbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: land of the free
Posts: 3,573
A religious explanation for Hurricane Sandy is:
-it's Allah's punishment of the kuffars for Afghanistan and Iraq

But others claim...
-it's Allah's punishment of the kuffars for that Mohammed video

Then there's the "scientific" explanation...
-it was caused by global warming and climate change



Who's right?
__________________
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-T. Roosevelt, President 1901-09, US soldier, martial artist, hiker, agriculteral worker, and conservationist, among other things.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47   #9
Originalsin
Senior Member
 
Originalsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia.
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
The difference between science and religion...

Religious Issues
I like it!
__________________
Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever.
Originalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:32   #10
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
A religious explanation for Hurricane Sandy is:
-it's Allah's punishment of the kuffars for Afghanistan and Iraq

But others claim...
-it's Allah's punishment of the kuffars for that Mohammed video

Then there's the "scientific" explanation...
-it was caused by global warming and climate change



Who's right?
I'm sure the jihadists are dancing in the streets the second they get wind of the destruction on the east coast.

Dancing in streets and in and out of buildings that every day look like the streets and buildings in NY and NJ do now. Misery loves company.

Also, I don't know about global warming but one day there wasn't a hurricane and the next there was. I'd call that climate change.

Last edited by Gunhaver; 11-04-2012 at 13:34..
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:36   #11
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Very well, I wouldn't want to disappoint.

Religious Issues
Link no workie. The suspense is killing me.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:56   #12
Harper
Senior Member
 
Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Then there's the "scientific" explanation...
-it was caused by global warming and climate change
Nope, that's not the scientific explanation.








If I had a dollar for every time...
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:57   #13
Comrade Bork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,006
If you can measure it, it is science.

If you cannot measure it, it is opinion.

Religion cannot be measured.

Religion is opinion.

Religion is not fact.
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 22:06   #14
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
A religious explanation for Hurricane Sandy is:
-it's Allah's punishment of the kuffars for Afghanistan and Iraq

But others claim...
-it's Allah's punishment of the kuffars for that Mohammed video

Then there's the "scientific" explanation...
-it was caused by global warming and climate change



Who's right?
You forgot one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
It sounds like Sandy is making a huge mess in the NorthEast, blue states. Floodings will take awhile to receed. Will all this harvoc slow down Dems voting next Tues ?

"Too much to clean up. He'd lose any way so I'll just stay home!"

Paves the way for a landslide. God is with US.
emphasis added
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 23:54   #15
Blast
'nuff said
 
Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NKY/Cincinnati area
Posts: 20,946


Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post
If you can measure it, it is science.

If you cannot measure it, it is opinion.

Religion cannot be measured.

Religion is opinion.

Religion is not fact.
Flawed logic.

Science cannot measure a singularity. Science is clueless on the nature of singularities. The math keeps coming up infinity. And to physicists, infinity is a dead end.
Science cannot measure dark energy. Science is clueless about the nature of dark energy.
Science cannot measure dark matter. Though indications of dark matter can be seen by way of gravitational lensing.
We know there is something holding the universe together and something is accelerating it's expansion, but cannot be directly detected.


True scientists accept there is far more that we don't know than we do know. Some things are right, and some things turned out to be wrong.
__________________
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be - Albert Einstein
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 00:22   #16
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Flawed logic.

Science cannot measure a singularity. Science is clueless on the nature of singularities. The math keeps coming up infinity. And to physicists, infinity is a dead end.
Science cannot measure dark energy. Science is clueless about the nature of dark energy.
Science cannot measure dark matter. Though indications of dark matter can be seen by way of gravitational lensing.
We know there is something holding the universe together and something is accelerating it's expansion, but cannot be directly detected.


True scientists accept there is far more that we don't know than we do know. Some things are right, and some things turned out to be wrong.
Science didn't used to be able to measure gravity, temperature, planetary orbits, electricity, nuclear fusion, neutrinos or Higgs Boson particles until it could. Does that mean that all of those things were untrue until science caught up with them? What evidence do you have of a clear line between what's possible to understand and what isn't?

The universe operates independently of our ability to explain it.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:54   #17
Blast
'nuff said
 
Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NKY/Cincinnati area
Posts: 20,946


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Science didn't used to be able to measure gravity, temperature, planetary orbits, electricity, nuclear fusion, neutrinos or Higgs Boson particles until it could. Does that mean that all of those things were untrue until science caught up with them? What evidence do you have of a clear line between what's possible to understand and what isn't?

The universe operates independently of our ability to explain it.
Still have problems with understanding and are driven by emotional abnormalities as usual.

I am pointing out that theories have been proven right and proven wrong and that there is still much more that we have not proven and what has not been proven remains a matter of 'hope the theory is right'. Kind of like faith, huh?
Unknown till known. that simple.

As I said, true science understanding people understand how much we have yet to discover. A true scientist always keeps an open mind until firm evidence confirms or debunks a concept or theory.
I hope you realize the Big Bang theory is based on circumstantial evidence. That being the observed expansion.
Scientists assume that if the expansion were reversed, all matter and energy would converge to a central point... a singularity. All the math involved is based on that assumption. The laws of physics break down at the singularity.
I happen to agree with the BBT at this point because it is the most logical though it still has some problems.
But then there's M-theory. Controversial in the scientific community and has more problems than the BBT.

Perhaps some day physicists will detect dark energy. We only know it's there because of the accelerating expansion of the universe which until 1998 scientists thought the universe would slow and contract to a big crunch. Still could if the dark energy, which composes about 74% of the universe, weakens and gravity gets the upper hand. Dark matter is about 22% and the visible about 4%.


Try to keep an open mind. It does much for understanding.
__________________
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be - Albert Einstein
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21   #18
packsaddle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post
If you can measure it, it is science.

If you cannot measure it, it is opinion.

Religion cannot be measured.

Religion is opinion.

Religion is not fact.
since your statement "religion is not a fact" is merely a series of words arranged in a certain order to articulate a concept and cannot be measured then it is ultimately just your opinion.

can concepts be measured?

can truth be measured?

can logic be measured?

can love be measured?

can morality be measured?

can trust be measured?

can honesty be measured?

can wisdom be measured?

according to you, if something cannot be swished around in a test tube or examined under a microscope then they are merely opinions.

as mentioned in a previous post, perhaps you should study the issues a little more objectively, if understanding is your sincere goal (which I doubt it is).
packsaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:46   #19
Comrade Bork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,006
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packsaddle View Post
since your statement "religion is not a fact" is merely a series of words arranged in a certain order to articulate a concept and cannot be measured then it is ultimately just your opinion.

can concepts be measured?

can truth be measured?

can logic be measured?

can love be measured?

can morality be measured?

can trust be measured?

can honesty be measured?

can wisdom be measured?

according to you, if something cannot be swished around in a test tube or examined under a microscope then they are merely opinions.

as mentioned in a previous post, perhaps you should study the issues a little more objectively, if understanding is your sincere goal (which I doubt it is).
The existence of God is merely an opinion.

If not, please prove he/she/it actually exists.



(crickets chirping)
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:51   #20
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 30,241


Wouldn't the non-existence of God also be an opinion?
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 594
143 Members
451 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31