Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:45   #1
Tvov

Hunting related X-mas gifts

So, it's November, and we (wife and I) are thinking about gifts for our 18 year old son who is into hunting and shooting. I know we can go into any hunting/sporting-goods/gun store and see dozens of things, but I was curious about any ideas.

Any ideas about hunting items that are not "necessary", but would be nice to have? Who knows: camo socks, camping knife/fork combo, hat, gloves, etc.

Anything you would like, but may seem silly to spend money on?

How about videos? I know there are tens of thousands Youtube hunting videos, but any ideas on good quality DVD hunting videos? Either instructional or just a "video diary" of a hunt, or both.

Electronic and/or manual calls? I see electronic calls starting below $40 up to and over $400. Combo kits, instructional videos, etc. Any ideas or recommendations?
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35   #2
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Lifetime hunting license.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42   #3
Jonesee

Quiet shell camo day pack. If you can find the 2 piece type that can be separated into 2 pieces it is a bonus. He can use that for years.

You are in cold climate... insulated camo bibs (bib overalls), or insulated camo coveralls are worth their weight in gold if you are sitting still in cold weather for hours on end.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-10-2012 at 09:45..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56   #4
Tvov

Some good ideas.

On the lighter side, I was thinking of something like camo lens sunglasses...

http://www.camovision.com/

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 11-12-2012, 19:37   #5
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

All the young guys around here have the internet on their phones, whatever those things are called.
They sit in their stands and surf until a deer shows up.

For a guy without the patience to sit still this might be a good gift.

Plus you can email him and check on him.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:39   #6
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Gift certificate for butchering and wrapping services.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:40   #7
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

They have those little tiny GPS units that hang on a zipper.

Last edited by bustedknee; 11-13-2012 at 19:56..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19   #8
Hummer
Big Member

Bigger ticket items like quality binoculars, a premium scope or a GPS are not only appreciated but a long term investment. Another thing younger hunters seldom afford are dedicated hunting clothes, quality wool and camo outfits for both fall and winter weather that are used only for hunting.

Once season is over, I clean and pack away my hunting outfits in closed plastic bins so they remain like new and in top condition for next year's hunt. All get washed with soap that is free of scent and ultraviolet brighteners. I find it especially important to save out heavy socks, winter gloves and quality base layers so I can rely on them in the most demanding hunting conditions. Items that show wear or lose insulation value get moved for everyday use.

Now, as hunting seasons wind down and then after Christmas is a good time to shop the sales at Cabela's, etc. In the past couple years I've upgraded my hunting clothes big time. There's not much more I need but there's always room for improvement....

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:22   #9
Tvov

I just picked up a Flextone Realtree MAX-1 Mimic Electronic Call for him:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Flext...h-All+Products

On sale, only $35. Has 34 calls built in. Really cool... I just tried it out - of course, only to make sure it works. We've done a bit of Coyote hunting, and this looks like a good "starter" call to see if we want to invest in fancier equipment.

Anyone have ideas for any good DVDs related to calling or hunting in general?

Wife is making him (and me, hopefully!) a knit camoflage cap.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-13-2012, 20:01   #10
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Some of the best hunting is during inclement weather.
But when my feet get wet, I'm done.
Get him waterproof socks.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501322
Old 11-14-2012, 13:04   #11
chevy01234

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
Lifetime hunting license.
BIG +1!! That is a gift he will literally have for the rest of his life!

I have been blessed, beyond blessed actually when it comes to hunting and the support of my parents and grandparents. It was something I was good at, enjoyed, and kept me out of trouble so my family never questioned when I "needed" something for hunting before I was out on my own. I am forever indebted to them for that support. There is no telling what I would be into now or what kind of trouble I would have gotten into if it hadn't been for hunting and the outdoors.

Without knowing what types of hunting he is into, it would be difficult to suggest something he may be able to use. I would skip out on the "not necessary" gifts though, and get him something he will get a lot of use out of. Good Binoculars are always nice. I literally use my binoculars every day, even when i'm not hunting. I bought a pair of Nikon Trailblazers for under $150 at Wal Mart. They have been great!
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:46   #12
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy01234 View Post
BIG +1!! That is a gift he will literally have for the rest of his life!

I have been blessed, beyond blessed actually when it comes to hunting and the support of my parents and grandparents. It was something I was good at, enjoyed, and kept me out of trouble so my family never questioned when I "needed" something for hunting before I was out on my own. I am forever indebted to them for that support. There is no telling what I would be into now or what kind of trouble I would have gotten into if it hadn't been for hunting and the outdoors.

Without knowing what types of hunting he is into, it would be difficult to suggest something he may be able to use. I would skip out on the "not necessary" gifts though, and get him something he will get a lot of use out of. Good Binoculars are always nice. I literally use my binoculars every day, even when i'm not hunting. I bought a pair of Nikon Trailblazers for under $150 at Wal Mart. They have been great!

Well spoken my friend !

This is the same with my kids, (now grown and got kids) raised on a ranch and brought up huntin and fishin, and knowing the Lord, and I am proud of them.

Folks may not be able to raise their kids on a working ranch, but they can sure find a way to do the other two !

Stay safe amigo !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:08   #13
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
I would have killed for good glass. Heck, I would love to have a good set of binos now.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:51   #14
pennlineman

Good water proff and insulated boots are priceless on cold days. A nice warm hunting suit would be nice also. Maybe even a nice hunting knife.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 13:41   #15
Tvov

We did get him the camo vision sun glasses - when wife saw them, she said "we have to get those"... and we got a pair for his friend.

Thanks for all the ideas. The lifetime license would be awesome, but out of our price range right now. Also, I've bought his last two hunting licenses, I kinda want him to buy his first "adult" license.

We also got him a 3 piece military ECWS sleeping bag from Sportsmans Guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=406440

Son and I were just at a friend's Vermont cabin this past weekend, and the nights were in the twenties, son had to borrow a warm LLBean sleeping bag. So we got him the above bag. I've had very good luck with Sportsmans Guide, I hope it extends to this sleeping bag.

Last edited by Tvov; 11-19-2012 at 18:08..
Old 11-19-2012, 18:00   #16
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Here is a good quality knife that will last a lifetime. Guaranteed for life as well.
Have them engrave his name and date on it.

This one will not break the bank.

https://www.cutcogiftregistry.com/Gi...groupId=5717BK

Last edited by bustedknee; 11-19-2012 at 18:00..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 18:07   #17
Tvov

First thing I saw was a serrated blade? Then I saw you can order smooth blade.

Actually, we got him a Gerber fixed blade knife a year or two ago:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Kn...Knife_22-41795

Pretty inexpensive and simple. I told him to USE it, and he has, for everything. Maybe in the future we'll spring for something fancier.

I've seen a couple DVD sets at Cabela's and other stores for game processing, calling, hunting trips, etc. Anyone have comments about those?
Old 11-25-2012, 20:33   #18
BerettaGrl

DH has a vest for Turkey hunting that I think is great. It's camo with pockets, it's got a padded back and a great seat pad the clips on. I think it came from Cabela's.
S&W Club #637
BerettaGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 20:38   #19
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
Some of the best hunting is during inclement weather.
But when my feet get wet, I'm done.
Get him waterproof socks.

Amazon.com: Seal Skinz Waterproof All Season Socks: Sports & Outdoors

http://www.rei.com/category/4501322
I liked your other suggestions, but this was the one that immediately came to my mind.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 21:20   #20
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I liked your other suggestions, but this was the one that immediately came to my mind.
I struggled with waterproof boots for years.

They are very expensive and weren't waterproof when I needed them to be.

The socks work.