GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 14:26   #41
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,552
Yes , invest in land and some PRIMO seed ....!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:30   #42
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
http://steadfastfinances.com/2009/10...is-a-bad-idea/
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:31   #43
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
http://www.daveramsey.com/article/sh...ney_investing/
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:45   #44
Atlas
transmogrifier
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 14,864
None of the articles you linked address any of the questions I asked.
__________________
June 28, 2012: the day the American republic died.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 11-09-2012 at 14:47..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:50   #45
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
None of the articles you linked address any of the questions I asked.
It's a terrible investment. Answered that precisely.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:53   #46
Atlas
transmogrifier
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 14,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
It's a terrible investment. Answered that precisely.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"Investment".
Remains to be seen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
That article is just stupid.
The primary point is "gold is in a bubble", yet it's only conjecture and a baseless opinion. The author gives no facts to back his claim.
That is true of the entire article.
And most of the other points are just wrong, demonstrably so.



"Making predictions is tough... especially about the future."
-Yogi Berra"
__________________
June 28, 2012: the day the American republic died.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 11-09-2012 at 14:59..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:16   #47
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Well, look at the Dave Ramsey link.

He's a sharp fella and just today on his show explained why its a terrible idea.

If he is against it (rather fiercely in fact) there is a reason. I can't explain it like him, however.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:17   #48
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!
 
Electrikkoolaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
Tell me what asset class is going to outperform gold over the next decade then.
Lead.
__________________
We need to stop asking "who will pay for healthcare" and start asking "why does it cost so much?"
Electrikkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:19   #49
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
"Investment".
Remains to be seen.




That article is just stupid.
The primary point is "gold is in a bubble", yet it's only conjecture and a baseless opinion. The author gives no facts to back his claim.
That is true of the entire article.
And most of the other points are just wrong, demonstrably so.



"Making predictions is tough... especially about the future."
-Yogi Berra"
Go to daveramsey.com and do a search on gold. There's plenty of reasons there.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:25   #50
Atlas
transmogrifier
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 14,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Well, look at the Dave Ramsey link.

He's a sharp fella and just today on his show explained why its a terrible idea.

If he is against it (rather fiercely in fact) there is a reason. I can't explain it like him, however.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

I agree that Mr. Ramsey is a very smart man.
He offers no more reason than the other article though, only "it's at an all-time high", (not even close) and "a bubble".
It's opinion and attitude only, no hard data.

Do as you will, I sincerely wish you the very best luck in your investments.
__________________
June 28, 2012: the day the American republic died.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:29   #51
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I agree that Mr. Ramsey is a very smart man.
He offers no more reason than the other article though, only "it's at an all-time high", (not even close) and "a bubble".
It's opinion and attitude only, no hard data.

Do as you will, I sincerely wish you the very best luck in your investments.
After todays show is over, listen to it online. You can listen to it from his site

It makes SO much more sense when you hear him explain why.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:40   #52
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 42,296


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Dave Ramsey is really good at helping simple minded people learn how to manage their money. His investment advice is essentially what u get on the Today show
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:42   #53
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Not a bad idea, OP.

http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/ho...-account-4311/
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:43   #54
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Dave Ramsey is really good at helping simple minded people learn how to manage their money. His investment advice is essentially what u get on the Today show
Well, I disagree, but my opinion is no more credible than yours, so all I can say is go with what you feel is best for you.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:53   #55
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 42,296


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Well, I disagree, but my opinion is no more credible than yours, so all I can say is go with what you feel is best for you.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Same to you
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:55   #56
paynter2
It ain't over
 
paynter2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: upper mid-west
Posts: 8,911


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Well, look at the Dave Ramsey link.

He's a sharp fella and just today on his show explained why its a terrible idea.

If he is against it (rather fiercely in fact) there is a reason. I can't explain it like him, however.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ramsey is a smart guy - he made millions preaching common sense to people who mis-handled their money.

However, I don't recall him telling people to buy gold 10 years ago. I suppose he's gotten smarter over the years...

Now he's barfing up the same BS that others, who missed the bull market in gold (so far), are puking.

Is gold in a bubble - or is it dollars that are in a bubble? Dollars and other currencies.

Here's an interesting interview:

__________________
“The state of the monetary system of a people is a symptom of all its states.” -- Joseph Alois Schumpeter.

Last edited by paynter2; 11-09-2012 at 17:00..
paynter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 17:26   #57
Glocksanity
Senior Member
 
Glocksanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Man, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Wow. What a dumb article. If you believe that, you deserve what is coming. Seriously. Dave Ramsey is clueless. To quote the price gains of gold from 1833, when it was priced at a fixed rate until 1971, just shows his ignorance to what is actually now happening with the world's reserve currency.
__________________
G21~G26~G30~G34

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 17:33   #58
Paul7
New Guy
 
Paul7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Well, look at the Dave Ramsey link.

He's a sharp fella and just today on his show explained why its a terrible idea.

If he is against it (rather fiercely in fact) there is a reason. I can't explain it like him, however.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Dave Ramsey is an idiot when it comes to PMs. His preferred vehicle (the stock market) has lost 25% adjusted for inflation the last decade while PMs have gone up several times. There has never been a time in human history when gold has not been valuable, there have been many times when fiat currency has become worthless. My answer to the question of how high does gold have to get before I stop buying is, when the government stops borrowing .40 of every $1 it spends. There is no limit to how high gold can go because there is no limit to how much value the dollar can lose.

How is the government going to deal with our $16 trillion debt other than default or continuing to devalue the currency? BTW, when interest rates return to their historic level of 4% it will add anther $1 trillion a year to our obligations to service the debt.
__________________
“I don’t believe that people should be able to own guns.” Obama to John R. Lott Jr. in a private conversation at the University of Chicago.

Last edited by Paul7; 11-09-2012 at 17:34..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51   #59
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigab1te View Post
Sure, why not?


p.s.- I'm still going to contribute to mine, but what do I know...
Thank you.

For every seller there must be a buyer otherwise what you are selling is worthless.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:08   #60
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
Staying in my 401K and buying cheap, watched the market fall 400 in the last couple of days.
I dont need the money until 2025 so I have faith that after we collectively come to our fiscal senses I will be better off for staying in the game.
Who will be a buyer of your investments in 2025?

The vast majority of the baby boomers will have reached retirement age by then cashed in.

The current crop of Obama free stuff voters will be in their prime earning years; will they be saving for retirement?
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:08.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,192
339 Members
853 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31