Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2012, 18:01   #1
1RoundEye

A question for the ROs among us...

When you're ROing a stage, and you're either running the timer, scoring, or both, how often do you check that the shooter is shooting the firearm listed on the score sheet, and that the firearm is eligible to shoot in the corresponding division?

I typically confirm that if the sticker says G17, that I see the G17 on the side of the slide. At the last match I noticed a few other competitors waiting to shoot talking about their stippling and grip reductions on otherwise stock looking guns. Now, I did not run them, but I have some doubt that they were running in unlimited, but they very well may have been.

So I was just curious if, as an RO, you saw someone with stippling or a grip reduction shooting in AMCiv or Comp that you'd call them out and/or refuse to run them on the stage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by 1RoundEye; 11-09-2012 at 19:44..
1RoundEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:08   #2
emtjr928

I do make a quick "look see". If I saw something obvious, I would point it out. If the shooter complained, I would refer the matter to the GSSF Rangemaster and move on to the next entry. Just trying to have a "fair" match for all shooters. Same as fudging on finger or start position.
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:21   #3
PM720

I called out a stippled grip on Saturday and something else which escapes me at the moment. The way we were told is just make a note of it on the scoresheet and GSSF will make the final determination on whether to bump them to Unlimited. I think the guy I called on the grip was probably mid-pack so I am sure they will leave him alone. If it were a top 10 guy I am sure they would bump them. I should try and remember these to see what they decide.

I think one of the indicators would be how much complaining the guy does. This guy seemed to genuienly not know and accepted his fate. I think the real screamers probably know and are trying to skate/bully through.

I asked Mark about rear covers and he said there were not really concerend about that potential situation.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:29   #4
SARDG

If I'm CRO, I take a look for unauthorized mods; if I am scorekeeper, I usually ask/repeat the model on the scoresheet as a Scorekeeper/Competitor confirmation. Neither really resembles a formal 'inspection', though I have specifically caught things like magwells, slide cover plates, and aftermarket barrels. Known and obvious mods should be noted on the scoresheet without arguing or debating with the shooter.

For mods like an aftermarket barrel, they can be switched back if the shooter has his other barrel with him or her; but if you just ask a shooter to do that without making a note on their scoresheet, they may just move on to a different stage, with another RO who may or may not notice (or note the barrel). The entire process can be a battle - particularly if the competitor is determined to cheat. (Think unknown internals...)

BTW, this is as good a time as any to mention that Mark (and Cindy) mentioned in a conversation in Mobile that plastic (unweighted) magwells, plastic (unweighted) 'butt' plugs, and aftermarket slide cover plates will be accepted on stock guns.

Last edited by SARDG; 11-09-2012 at 19:37..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:44   #5
1RoundEye

Good to know bout noting it on the score sheet. I probably would have verbally confronted them if it was something like a shiny silver bbl.

1RoundEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 23:57   #6
PM720

Mark said the same thing to us Kitty. I think I saw about 10 guys in Civ with the plastic magwells. My new (used) G34 came with one too.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31   #7
ede
Bama's Friend

Most of the time it's one gun one divisions shooters. If it's a two gun two divisiion shooter they'll tell you what they're shooting. My pretty little score keeper does a good job of asking the shooter what they're shooting so she has the right score sheet. As a rule I don't really check becasue the shoote and my score keeper does. I do count rounds especially in MSub but also if I think they've blazed away at the Plates and not hit anything. Nearly all the time I'm wrong but sometimes I catch someone. I do look for aftermarket parts. Had a shooter at the last match using G17 mags in a G26 with a grip filler on the mags. Told him he couldn't use them and offered him a couple of my mags. He argued a bit with me, said he's shot at least 10 matches and they've never been a problem, which I believe since most GSSF ROs aren't GSSF shooters.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:14   #8
legacy38

I was at a match where a person was trying to shoot a G27 in Major Sub and argued, along their entourage, vehemently with the ROs on the matter. They lost.

The above doesn't begin to tell the entire story.
legacy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:55   #9
Noah Gladstone

I always look to see if the gun being used matches the rules. I have had people argue with me but I dont let it get to me. The playing field should be level.
Noah Gladstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08   #10
dvrdwn72

I always take the time to glance at the gun and make sure it meets the "rules of its division", weather its uspsa,idpa,or gssf. If there is a mod. that is in a "grey" area and provides no advantage to the shooter in a particular shooting event such as plastic magwells, back plate,plastic plug in gssf. I tend to let it go. If I believe it gives an advantage, or something is suspect ill call em out. Ro'ing uspsa and idpa is where it gets much more complicated compared to gssf.
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10   #11
dvrdwn72

Where I have gotten into a challenge is when a shooter fires more rounds than what is allowed in a division.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34   #12
ede
Bama's Friend

Last edited by ede; 11-23-2012 at 12:51..
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43   #13
dvrdwn72

some shooters are fairly fast and it can be a bit hard, not so much for gssf, but idpa and uspsa it can be difficult. But yes, 90% of the time with shooters, the timer tells.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52   #14
ede
Bama's Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdwn72 View Post
some shooters are fairly fast and it can be a bit hard, not so much for gssf, but idpa and uspsa it can be difficult. But yes, 90% of the time with shooters, the timer tells.
I don't think there's any shooter that can shoot faster than the timer. The timer should catch 100% of the shots fired if not it's operator error or the sensitivity is too low which brings us back to operator error.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32   #15
emtjr928

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
That shouldn't be a problem at all, the timer counts shots fired and the rules are either 7 or 11 rounds.
Well,,, actually 5 to Glock is 10 Max.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:48   #16
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjr928 View Post
Well,,, actually 5 to Glock is 10 Max.
No you can still load 11 rounds. I think that was the gest of the post.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26   #17
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post
No you can still load 11 rounds. I think that was the gest of the post.
Heck, you could still shoot 11 rounds... you'd simply be assessed an extra-shot penalty, and the timer would be a confirmation of the hit count and the holes (maybe). A USPSA shooter in Mobile or Conyers (I've forgotten) tried to shoot M as 'Comstock' (or unlimited Vickers in IDPA). (He had been shooting GSSF for years and that's the way it's always been - he told me so...) He got a reshoot and some CoF lessons.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34   #18
emtjr928

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdwn72 View Post
Where I have gotten into a challenge is when a shooter fires more rounds than what is allowed in a division.

I thought fires means fires. The poster did not reference how many were loaded.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20   #19
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjr928 View Post

I thought fires means fires. The poster did not reference how many were loaded.
But remember, the competitor may fire 12,13 rounds or more - the sky's the limit.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42   #20
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Heck, you could still shoot 11 rounds... you'd simply be assessed an extra-shot penalty, and the timer would be a confirmation of the hit count and the holes (maybe). A USPSA shooter in Mobile or Conyers (I've forgotten) tried to shoot M as 'Comstock' (or unlimited Vickers in IDPA). (He had been shooting GSSF for years and that's the way it's always been - he told me so...) He got a reshoot and some CoF lessons.
Penalties marked for each extra shot, got.
And now to deal with the extra hits on those targets. If one extra shot was fired and one paper target
has 7 hits we take one off, usually one of the best hits, right?