Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-08-2012, 22:21   #1
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quick! Help Me Spend the Boss' Money! (X-Plane Build)

Hardware guru's, I'm looking to put together a machine for work. The primary purpose is running X-plane (currently 9 and upgrading to 10 at some point) for various internal training and demonstration videos. And light editing of those same videos. (I'm currently learning lightworks, but definitely open to other suggestions)

No actual budget has been set, but obviously I have to justify it to the bean counters. Pretty much looking at ~$1500 ish or less.

And it has to be from Dell.

I'm currently thinking the XPS 8500. i7 3770, 16gb RAM, and either the Nvidia GTX 660 or an AMD Radeon HD 7870.

Any other thoughts or considerations? I'm not up on graphics cards or really anything on the windows side of the fence, so any input is welcome.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:37   #2
joe0121

The best advice i can give. Save money if you can by getting the AMD CPU. SPEND the money on at least 6 gigs of memory and a Solid State drive.

Also does you have a corporate intranet? I ask because i want to nail down how much HD space it needs.

Last edited by joe0121; 11-12-2012 at 19:41..
joe0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:30   #3
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

I think that machine you posted looks pretty sweet.

I don't know much at all about graphics cards, so you're on your own there...

I agree that if it's possible to upgrade that to an SSD for boot and a 1-2TB for storage, that would be ideal. An SSD is the absolute biggest speed boost you can make to a PC right now.

If you're comfortable with it, you could possibly just pop in an SSD yourself, but I have read that Windows 8 has a different - and weird - licensing system, so it may not be as simple as it has been up until now.

I disagree with the poster above about AMD; they make decent graphics cards, but their processors still lag Intel. They are less expensive CPU's for a reason....

Have fun!

Last edited by Drjones; 11-12-2012 at 21:31..
Drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 22:32   #4
joe0121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
I think that machine you posted looks pretty sweet.

I don't know much at all about graphics cards, so you're on your own there...

I agree that if it's possible to upgrade that to an SSD for boot and a 1-2TB for storage, that would be ideal. An SSD is the absolute biggest speed boost you can make to a PC right now.

If you're comfortable with it, you could possibly just pop in an SSD yourself, but I have read that Windows 8 has a different - and weird - licensing system, so it may not be as simple as it has been up until now.

I disagree with the poster above about AMD; they make decent graphics cards, but their processors still lag Intel. They are less expensive CPU's for a reason....

Have fun!
I dont want to start an AMD vs Intel fight. If I could afford it I would run top of the line Intel CPU's. But I cant so I am "stuck" with my AMD 6 Core. Which BTW will score higher in multi threaded bench mark tests against any comparably priced intel chip. I don't game. I run Linux and use virtual box to run some Windows VM's for college. I buy a video card in the $150 ball park that supports dual displays and HD video.

I was simply saying for a none bragging rights build I would save the money on the CPU to upgrade to the SSD. The SSD wil far and away make up for any performance "lag" you get with the AMD CPU and lets be honest with the exception of I'd say 10 percent of end user the AMD chip wont perform noticeably slower.

My home set up is dual 60 gig SSD's in raid 0(backed up weekly with clonezilla, and all of the files that are important are stored in the "cloud" anyways), AMD 6 Core and 16 gig of memory. I have 1000 bucks into it and My machine blows away the 2000 all in one my in laws just bought. (From dell BTW)

If you are still inclined to disagree with me I am ok with that. Just wanted you and the op to know where I am coming from.

If this machine will be part of a domain that has a dedicated san I wouldn't even bother with a large storage drive either. Why pay for storage you dont need using a SAN is more secure anyways.
joe0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:24   #5
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Thanks, guys. IIRC that machine is spec'd with a hybrid drive. It needs some on board HDD space, trying to edit video over our horribly slow network is straight up no go. I'm sticking with i7, X-plane ought to be able to utilize all the threads, if not now then in a future release.

I already submitted it for purchase last week, so now we'll see if I actually receive it before Intel releases their next generation of chips.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote