SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16   #1
Toyman

Power over ethernet

So, I was recently given two almost full 1000 ft boxes of Cat 5e (gigabit rated 4 pair 24 gauge). Doing the ends isn't an issue, I have a crimper and have done dozens of cables.

I'm going to be running about 200 feet out to my shop for a remote backup system. From there what I want to do is run cable out towards/to my hunting shack (330-350 ft) and put a wireless access point there, which would reach a couple other hunting stands I have.

Also, I want to put an IP camera out there, but that might be a separate line/switch/etc - but that will be later.

I've done a little research on Power Over Ethernet, and its specs, but I'm wondering what kind of real world experience or tips some of you might have.

My main concern is how far I can go. Basically I want to put a wired access point that has wireless on the end.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote