Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 15:55   #1
WiskyT
Malcontent

Windows Restore Fail

Hi all,

Forgive me if some of my nomenclature is off, or if I over describe things that you guys find obvious. My wife's computer has been giving her grief, so she decided to do a full restoration with the supplied DVD's that came in the packaging. It is a Gateway SX2800.

The directions (printed) that came with the DVD's, all of which was unopened, were simple enough. We've both done this before on other computers. We both tried it and got the same result. We inserted the first disk, system, and rebooted the computer being sure to enter F12 and select the DVD drive. It boots up the system discs, asks a few questions like UI language and if we want to to a full reset to the original defaults. We select English and the full reset ( data is all backed up on a separate drive). It runs through to the point where it asks for the first of three recovery disks. We insert that disk, hit continue, and it ejects the disk and again tells ud to insert the first disk! We have repeatedly closed the drawer, after verifying that we do have the correct disk in the drive, and hit continue and it still says we have to put the proper disk in!

We have disconnected all USB devices having put back the old style mouse and keyboard just in case it was somehow thinking the USB mouse etc was some type of storage device and it makes no difference.

Is the disk defective? It was in the sealed envelope which was stored at room temperature in a drawer, so there isn't any physical damage to the disk. The computer came with Vista which she upgraded for free to Win7 because that is the way it was done when Win7 was not quite released back then.

Any help would be appreciated.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 15:57   #2
WiskyT
Malcontent

Oh, she just got the machine back from the Geek Squad. They replaced the motherboard but told her they didn't restore the HDD device because they thought it didn't need it. They were probably just lazy. Anyway, the service plan just expired so anything done outside our home is going to cost money. Sorry I forgot the MB detail.

Old 11-13-2012, 17:17   #3
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Hmm, I don't think the motherboard change would have caused that.

Just for grins, have you tried inserting the other disks first? Maybe somehow the disks got mislabeled.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 17:27   #4
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Hmm, I don't think the motherboard change would have caused that.

Just for grins, have you tried inserting the other disks first? Maybe somehow the disks got mislabeled.
The disks are numbered 1 of 3 etc. I did try all 3 just to see what might happen and I got the same response.

I don't think the MB had anything to do with it either, I just didn't want to leave out any details.

Old 11-13-2012, 17:42   #5
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

The MB swap might be an issue, depends on whether the Gateway restore tries verifying something in the BIOS?
Just spitballing possibilities.

Last edited by NMGlocker; 11-13-2012 at 17:44..
NMGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 17:45   #6
WiskyT
Malcontent

FWIW, the computer did run after the MB repair. It was just slow and would not do things like run Rhapsody rleiably. We had never restored it before, so after four years or so my wife decided it was a good idea.

Old 11-13-2012, 18:08   #7
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
The MB swap might be an issue, depends on whether the Gateway restore tries verifying something in the BIOS?
Just spitballing possibilities.
That's a good point. I remember back in the day, I used an old Compaq restore disk on several computers (we're talking mid 90's)

Now, the disk somehow gets "verified"... and you can't do that.

The motherboard swap may be the problem Wisky..

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
Old 11-13-2012, 18:10   #8
WiskyT
Malcontent

Good news! My wife googled around and found a series of instructions that had her F10 and some other stuff to do things to the BIOS. I googled and couldn't find anything. It is now loading Vista and all the rogress bars etc are moving along normally.

The bad news is she doesn't really understand what all she did so I'm not going tobe able to describe it myself. She is going to forward me the instructions she found and I'll either link them directly here, or paraphrase them.

For now, it seems that all of you who are trying to help can return to your normally scheduled programming. Thanks for looking into solutions for us.

Old 11-13-2012, 18:17   #9
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

You have me wondering if there is a 'Card Reader' in the system that could be throwing things off... You know, the ones that have slots for the different media - SD, MiniSD, (sorry, it's all I can think of right now - long day )

Typically there are USB ports and these 'Card Reader' openings all on a 'block' together, sometimes under a cover...

Anyway - Sounds like you are back to almost in business...

Congrats, and don't forget to Kiss your Smart Wife! (who was really just showing off... (LOL))

Patrick

Download YOUR copy of Internet Safety Tips - "The Essentials"!
My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:21   #10
WiskyT
Malcontent

Okay, as far as I can tell, the instructions in this thread http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-5...with-a-gateway what she ended up doing was accessing the "hidden" drive with the restore software in it. So, it is doing what it should from the partition on the HDD.

I guess due to BIOS issues or whatever, it probably still wouldn't restore from the media disks. I'm not concerned about that at this time since it may be another four years before we come across this again. By that time, she will have a new machine and this thing will become my Linux machine. Should I go about fixing the original problem wit reading the disks, or just let it go for now?

Old 11-13-2012, 18:36   #11
joe0121

From now on use clone zilla and save a disk image to an external drive. it literally take an "image" of the drive. A restore is a reverse of the image capture.

I hate how the OE's do those stupid restore disks.
joe0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:45   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
You have me wondering if there is a 'Card Reader' in the system that could be throwing things off... You know, the ones that have slots for the different media - SD, MiniSD, (sorry, it's all I can think of right now - long day )

Typically there are USB ports and these 'Card Reader' openings all on a 'block' together, sometimes under a cover...

Anyway - Sounds like you are back to almost in business...

Congrats, and don't forget to Kiss your Smart Wife! (who was really just showing off... (LOL))

Patrick
I found an add for the computer online that showed it as having a card reader. I just asked her and she said there are lots of slots that are empty, but she doesn't know what they are all for. She has never put any cards in it. She does know what an SD type slot is but a black computer under a desk in a dark room is a little tough to discern all the inputs. There probably is/are slot(s) and they are likely empty unless Gateway included a free card (doubtful).

She did do something to save some type of changes to the BIOS. She's not really sure what she did. The best I can tell is that she somehow got the computer itself to reset the BIOS and then she saved the changes. I don't know if that makes sense or not and I don't know if it had any effect on her being able to restore from the restore partition.

As far as kissing her, hey, it's her computer. Let's not get carried away here. It's not like she found a spring detent that I sent flying across the room or anything.

I am glad for her that she solved it though. You guys would have figured it out sooner or later, but this gives her the satisfaction of doing it.

Old 11-13-2012, 18:48   #13
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
From now on use clone zilla and save a disk image to an external drive. it literally take an "image" of the drive. A restore is a reverse of the image capture.

I hate how the OE's do those stupid restore disks.
I'll look into that. Wouldn't that copy the bad with the good though? Maybe we should do that now before it gets screwed up again? It seems inevitable to me that since it's a Windows machine it will eventually get screwy. I never had one that didn't.

Old 11-13-2012, 18:54   #14
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
That's a good point. I remember back in the day, I used an old Compaq restore disk on several computers (we're talking mid 90's)

Now, the disk somehow gets "verified"... and you can't do that.

The motherboard swap may be the problem Wisky..

IGF
I'm glad I read your posts several times. I think I get what you're saying now. The disks are mated to the old MB. Effectively, she has a "different" computer and the disks will only work with the original MB.

I guess restoring from the HD partition somehow isn't effected by this?

Old 11-13-2012, 19:11   #15
joe0121

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I'll look into that. Wouldn't that copy the bad with the good though? Maybe we should do that now before it gets screwed up again? It seems inevitable to me that since it's a Windows machine it will eventually get screwy. I never had one that didn't.
You are correct. Sorry I should have qualified my statement. The idea is to get a copy before things go bad. this was a piece of advice to use in the future.

Last edited by joe0121; 11-13-2012 at 19:12..
Old 11-13-2012, 19:22   #16
WiskyT
Malcontent

I went to Clonezilla's website and it is way over my head.

Old 11-13-2012, 20:06   #17
joe0121

Quote:
Fair enough. Ghost is simple but costs money. I assume you don't have an actual windows CD?

What version of Windows are you using currently?

Do you have an external hard drive?

When do you plan on buying another PC/Laptop?

What is your budget?

You issue is solved for now but I would like to fix this issue in the future.
Old 11-13-2012, 20:27   #18
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
Fair enough. Ghost is simple but costs money. I assume you don't have an actual windows CD?

What version of Windows are you using currently?

Do you have an external hard drive?

When do you plan on buying another PC/Laptop?

What is your budget?

You issue is solved for now but I would like to fix this issue in the future.
We have the Cd's that came with the computer. One "system" disk and three "restore" disks. The problem was they wouldn't work. She worked around it by using the restore partition. Next time, say if the HDD fails, we will have to find a way to get the computer to restore via the disks, or I will just make it a Linux machine and she will get a new tower depending how far down the road that is.

It shipped from the factory with Vista and she later got a free upgrade (disks) to Win7. She's upgrading it right now to Win7.

As for replacing the machine, here is how I see it playing out. It's already three years old. In two years or more the HDD will die. By then, a $300.00 tower will be better than this one was when new. My wife will buy a new tower. I will buy a new HDD, the cheapest I can find, install Ubuntu or whatever is the way to go at that time, and we will both have "new" computers. She will be thrilled with her new computer and I will be amazed at how much faster my "new" computer is compared to my 2001 Emachine.

Of course, by then, she might do away with a desktop altogether and just get a laptop. She has a laptop now and there would be less clutter if it was on her desk instead of the desktop she just straightened out.

Old 11-13-2012, 21:53   #19
Detectorist

Win 7 has a good backup and restore function built in.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15   #20
joe0121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Win 7 has a good backup and restore function built in.
It is good if used correctly. A lot of people don't really know how powerful it really is. However the best feature which is a system image backup requires the EU has a windows 7 Disc.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45   #21
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Clonezilla is actually very easy. They have some basic walkthroughs on their website
RIP Jack
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11   #22
joe0121

Quote:
Clonezilla is actually very easy. They have some basic walkthroughs on their website
It's also very easy to have a bad day if you get you source and destination mixed up
Old 11-14-2012, 15:41   #23
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
I guess if I needed to do it, I could get through it with help. It sure looked like the whole thing was in Greek to me. I just don't see how it is necessary at this point. I don't do this for fun or for work. I only do this stuff as a DIY handyman. Even if I learned clonezilla now, when I needed it I would have forgotten it.