GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43   #141
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Good point, how about this then. For a person on a beer budget, what are the top 3-4 ARs.
If you cannot (or are just not willing to) afford a BCM, DD, Colt, Noveske, LMT, LaRue, etc. etc.

I would next look at:
Spikes
S&W
PSA



Personally.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45   #142
joe0121
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
If you cannot (or are just not willing to) afford a BCM, DD, Colt, Noveske, LMT, LaRue, etc. etc.

I would next look at:
Spikes
S&W
PSA



Personally.
I like spikes stuff, but they are out of a lot of their lowers at the moment. Last I looked every single lower receiver was back ordered for months.
joe0121 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 14:48   #143
LL6
Senior Member
 
LL6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Off I-40, NC
Posts: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

I find there is a common thread b/w those that use smiley faces in their posts.
Did you count this as a smiley face? The reason I ask is you got that thread locked.

Black Rifle Forum
__________________
Mike
G26
LL6 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 19:14   #144
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
I was just on Spike's site and all their rifles were over $1k. Priced higher than a 6920/6720. Except for one that was right at $900 and it had a 8-12 month wait. Spikes has been known to underestimate their wait times.

I had a Spikes and it was nice. It didn't see as many rounds as the others however. I know they did shady things w/ price gouging and lying about the materials they were using though.
mjkeat is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 19:20   #145
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I was just on Spike's site and all their rifles were over $1k. Priced higher than a 6920/6720. Except for one that was right at $900 and it had a 8-12 month wait. Spikes has been known to underestimate their wait times.

I had a Spikes and it was nice. It didn't see as many rounds as the others however. I know they did shady things w/ price gouging and lying about the materials they were using though.
Aware me
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 19:57   #146
glock031
Senior Member
 
glock031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I was just on Spike's site and all their rifles were over $1k. Priced higher than a 6920/6720. Except for one that was right at $900 and it had a 8-12 month wait. Spikes has been known to underestimate their wait times.

I had a Spikes and it was nice. It didn't see as many rounds as the others however. I know they did shady things w/ price gouging and lying about the materials they were using though.
There is zero evidence about Spikes lying about materials used. You made the blanket statement now it's up to you to prove and back up with links and evidence. Bet you can't. What's the excuse going to be this time. And please no help from the i dropped my slide and can't get back up welcher....
__________________
22lr -9x19 -357sig -40sw -22wmr -5.56/223 -12ga

Last edited by glock031; 11-14-2012 at 19:59..
glock031 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 19:58   #147
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock031 View Post
There is zero evidence about Spikes lying about materials used. You made the blanket statement now it's up to you to prove and back up with links and evidence. Bet you can't.
I have read an awful lot, on many sites, about Spikes...including a lot on M4C where a lot of members don't like Spikes.

But this is still the first time I have heard anything about them lying about materials used.

Very interested in seeing your evidence, mjkeat
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-14-2012 at 19:58..
Warp is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:29   #148
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I was just on Spike's site and all their rifles were over $1k. Priced higher than a 6920/6720. Except for one that was right at $900 and it had a 8-12 month wait. Spikes has been known to underestimate their wait times.

I had a Spikes and it was nice. It didn't see as many rounds as the others however. I know they did shady things w/ price gouging and lying about the materials they were using though.
$879 and $865 is "right at $900?" Anyway, there are 2 carbines under $1000 and even if Spike's got called out to prove their "milspec" claims, that was years ago. They are "milspec" now and have posted their material certificates for the world to see.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...age=2&sort=20a
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:30   #149
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
$879 and $865 is "right at $900?" Anyway, there are 2 carbines under $1000 and even if Spike's got called out to prove their "milspec" claims, that was years ago. They are "milspec" now and have posted their material certificates for the world to see.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...age=2&sort=20a
The price of a product on 8-12 month backorder doesn't interest me much, though...and probably doesn't interest a whole lot of buyers that are currently in the market, either.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-14-2012 at 20:31..
Warp is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:30   #150
Singlestack Wonder
Senior Member
 
Singlestack Wonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 555


[QUOTE=Bren;19606931]An AR is an AR - learn about them and you can make any one work as well as the next. They are like 1911's that way. High dollar brand names are for people who don't know enough to build their own.

Looking above, for example: Double Star makes some of the best parts I've ever had on an AR or a 1911 and I've built both with their parts - excellent quality, but the newbs don't know the name and don't know enough to see the differences, beyond brand names.[/QUOTE]

__________________
IDPA - No excuses, No sight pictures, No gaming, No rehearsing. Shoot now or go to the back of the line!
"Speed is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers
Singlestack Wonder is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:32   #151
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I have read an awful lot, on many sites, about Spikes...including a lot on M4C where a lot of members don't like Spikes.

But this is still the first time I have heard anything about them lying about materials used.

Very interested in seeing your evidence, mjkeat
There was a big hoopla on AR15.com over Spikes claims of using "milspec" materials for their products. The threads were probably deleted but a while later Tom posted the certificates "proving" their claims.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/1...Documents.html
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:38   #152
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
There was a big hoopla on AR15.com over Spikes claims of using "milspec" materials for their products. The threads were probably deleted but a while later Tom posted the certificates "proving" their claims.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/1...Documents.html
arf.com responsible for spreading misinformation? Never!
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:38   #153
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
But the dates on the paperwork were for later dates than when the claims were made.
mjkeat is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:39   #154
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
The price of a product on 8-12 month backorder doesn't interest me much, though...and probably doesn't interest a whole lot of buyers that are currently in the market, either.
It may not interest you, but considering how RRA is always backordered, people seem to still be ordering from them and Legal Transfers. You cannot assume what the market wants based on what interests you.
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:42   #155
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
But the dates on the paperwork were for later dates than when the claims were made.
"But a while later" isn't too complex to comprehend Detective. Well, it shouldn't be....
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:42   #156
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
But the dates on the paperwork were for later dates than when the claims were made.
Does that necessarily mean anything?

Is this all you have to support your claim? That the paperwork proving the materials are from a later date than the claim?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
It may not interest you, but considering how RRA is always backordered, people seem to still be ordering from them and Legal Transfers. You cannot assume what the market wants based on what interests you.
I think that if somebody is shopping around for an AR, and you are offering advice on which ones to consider, the fact that they are on 8-12 month backorder should be mentioned up front. That is a rather significant fact.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:52   #157
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I think that if somebody is shopping around for an AR, and you are offering advice on which ones to consider, the fact that they are on 8-12 month backorder should be mentioned up front. That is a rather significant fact.
The backorder is an estimate for new orders. For all we know, Distributors are getting their orders from Spikes as they get assembled... and test fired. I'm not a dealer, but I would be willing to bet they are just getting the basic M4 models and not ordering the accessorized models to hang off their shelf.
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:53   #158
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
RRA isn't a solid rebuttal.

When dates don't match up something is fishy. Specially when it seemed to be like pulling teeth to get the proof. Like the birth certificate thing.

Anyway, I'm not here to bash Spikes as like I said I have owned one and was happy w/ it. The wait however isn't worth it when there is equal or better for a similar price available w/o the wait.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Does that necessarily mean anything?

Is this all you have to support your claim? That the paperwork proving the materials are from a later date than the claim?
It means that the claims could not be proven. He could not produce paperwork showing certain lots were produced following milspec standards as he claimed.

Last edited by mjkeat; 11-14-2012 at 20:58..
mjkeat is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 20:54   #159
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
The backorder is an estimate for new orders. For all we know, Distributors are getting their orders from Spikes as they get assembled... and test fired. I'm not a dealer, but I would be willing to bet they are just getting the basic M4 models and not ordering the accessorized models to hang off their shelf.
The source you used to quote prices from showed an 8-12 month backorder.

If distributors have them in stock and available, why not link to them and quote those prices?
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 21:05   #160
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
The price of a product on 8-12 month backorder doesn't interest me much, though...and probably doesn't interest a whole lot of buyers that are currently in the market, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
It may not interest you, but considering how RRA is always backordered, people seem to still be ordering from them and Legal Transfers. You cannot assume what the market wants based on what interests you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
RRA isn't a solid rebuttal.
I swear it would be easier on me if I ignored you completely. Please tell me in what way Rock River Arms backorder status is not a suitable rebuttal in contex to Warp's comment.
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:10.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 858
202 Members
656 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42