Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35   #21
Detectorist

And this, folks, is why Linux isn't on every desktop.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:42   #22
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post

Just another example of someone who doesn't understand this problem. This is a problem with Broadcom, not Linux. My Atheros, Intel, and Ralink devices all work just fine.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:11   #23
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:

We've never had a Windows machine that didn't have to go back once a year or so under the service plan to be tinkered with. I don't get to the bottom of the issue since it gets done by the Geek Squad, but when it comes to issues, Windows has plenty of them, and you have to buy Windows.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:04   #24
joe0121

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Just another example of someone who doesn't understand this problem. This is a problem with Broadcom, not Linux. My Atheros, Intel, and Ralink devices all work just fine.

IGF
I agree. Linux isnt the issue it's the crap driver OE's use. Now that Dell's are shipping with ubuntu the OE's might start putting efort into their drivers.

Also I have ubuntu 12.10 (It's a RC at this point) and the KDE version at least had all the latest drivers. It even worked with my GTX 560TI video card which mint would not.
joe0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:04   #25
Detectorist

Quote:

IGF
Unless Broadcom and Dell guaranteed that their device will work with Linux, it is certainly not Broadcom's issue.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:06   #26
Jim1970
Learnin'

I messed up - please see next post!

Jim

Last edited by Jim1970; 11-14-2012 at 18:18.. Reason: To add info
Jim1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:15   #27
Jim1970
Learnin'

Hello,

Finally got a chance to get back to working on this issue today. It took all of 2 minutes to plug in, enter the commands, and for Ubuntu to do the necessary downloading. I am happy to report that my wife's Dell Inspiron 1501 is connecting wirelessly to the internet!

Thanks IGF! You da man!

Jim
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18   #28
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1970 View Post
Hello,

Finally got a chance to get back to working on this issue today. It took all of 2 minutes to plug in, enter the commands, and for Ubuntu to do the necessary downloading. I am happy to report that my wife's Dell Inspiron 1501 is connecting wirelessly to the internet!

Thanks IGF! You da man!

Jim
Glad you got it going.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01   #29
Jim1970
Learnin'

Hello,

Continuing my learning quest, I did some research on the need for anti-virus software for Ubuntu. What I read was that the best thing to do is to activate the built-in firewall. So, I found the command for that, and turned it on. Real simple!

Question for the Ubuntu users: do you run anything in addition to the firewall?

Thank you,

Jim
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07   #30
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Hello,

Continuing my learning quest, I did some research on the need for anti-virus software for Ubuntu. What I read was that the best thing to do is to activate the built-in firewall. So, I found the command for that, and turned it on. Real simple!

Question for the Ubuntu users: do you run anything in addition to the firewall?

Thank you,

Jim
I don't even run the software firewall actually (just sit behind my home router). Only way you'd need antivirus is if you're downloading files that could contain viruses on Linux, and transferring them to Windows machines. Things like pictures, in most cases movies, music, etc... should be no problem.

If you start downloading torrents of programs, etc.. it might be a good idea to go ahead and get antivirus for Ubuntu.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28   #31
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
I don't even run the software firewall actually (just sit behind my home router). Only way you'd need antivirus is if you're downloading files that could contain viruses on Linux, and transferring them to Windows machines. Things like pictures, in most cases movies, music, etc... should be no problem.

If you start downloading torrents of programs, etc.. it might be a good idea to go ahead and get antivirus for Ubuntu.
Firewall isn't a bad idea, I use it but it probably isn't really needed.

Anti Virals for Linux just scan for various windows virus's so there really isn't a need to protect yourself.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53   #32
fwm

Quote:

I have a windows machine I've been trying for three years to get all of the graphics card functions to work properly on. These type of problems are not unique to Linux. There are just more windows gurus to help with windows problems.

'All in wonder' card with cable input and writing capabilities. Worked fine in Windows 2000. Used it as a home made DVR. Had to upgrade to WINXP. Now the card will only display the screen and NO functionality. There are many instances where windows will not work properly with technology.
Old 11-15-2012, 20:39   #33
Jim1970
Learnin'

Okay, need more help, please.

Wife loves Ubuntu, and has asked that I make her machine a dedicated Ubuntu machine. I have removed all of her important documents and photos. How do I remove the windows partition and make her machine exclusively Ubuntu?

Thank you!

Jim
Old 11-15-2012, 23:32   #34
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Okay, need more help, please.

Wife loves Ubuntu, and has asked that I make her machine a dedicated Ubuntu machine. I have removed all of her important documents and photos. How do I remove the windows partition and make her machine exclusively Ubuntu?

Thank you!

Jim
You'll have to reinstall. There's other ways to do it, but honestly, it's way way easier to just reinstall.

Let me make this suggestion. Don't nuke Windows just yet. I've seen this trend before.. someone tries Ubuntu, they love it, they nuke Windows 2 days later. About a week later, they find something they can't figure out an answer to, and they immediately reinstall Windows (if they're lucky enough to still have the disks)...

You're both still learning this OS... My suggestion... Dual boot for 3-4mo at least. By then, any quirks, problems, etc.. you may have you will have run into and hopefully figured out. If something comes up that is insurmountable, you have Windows to fall back on..

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 11-15-2012 at 23:49..
Old 11-16-2012, 00:06   #35
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
You'll have to reinstall. There's other ways to do it, but honestly, it's way way easier to just reinstall.

Let me make this suggestion. Don't nuke Windows just yet. I've seen this trend before.. someone tries Ubuntu, they love it, they nuke Windows 2 days later. About a week later, they find something they can't figure out an answer to, and they immediately reinstall Windows (if they're lucky enough to still have the disks)...

You're both still learning this OS... My suggestion... Dual boot for 3-4mo at least. By then, any quirks, problems, etc.. you may have you will have run into and hopefully figured out. If something comes up that is insurmountable, you have Windows to fall back on..
That's what I would suggest. Give it a while till the shiny new feeling wears off and if you still want to do it then you can.

Installing again and using the whole disk is probably best. You could try something like gparted to remove the windows partitions and realize your Linux one to take the whole drive.

You'll need to update your grub to remove the option to boot windows as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-16-2012, 00:18   #36
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
You could try something like gparted to remove the windows partitions and realize your Linux one to take the whole drive.
This was really my point... You could boot a live CD/USB, use Gparted to format the windows partition, then use gparted to expand your Linux partition to take that whole drive..

Lets say for the sake of argument, the hard drive is 80-120gigs, and the current Windows partition, is probably around 40-60gigs... It would take a LONG time to resize and reallocate 40-60gigs(I'm thinking several hours). If you have your data backed up, Boot the Install cd/usb, and you can do a "complete" install (where it takes over the whole drive) in about 15min.

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 11-16-2012 at 00:19..
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17   #37
captainstormy

Quote:
This was really my point... You could boot a live CD/USB, use Gparted to format the windows partition, then use gparted to expand your Linux partition to take that whole drive..

Lets say for the sake of argument, the hard drive is 80-120gigs, and the current Windows partition, is probably around 40-60gigs... It would take a LONG time to resize and reallocate 40-60gigs(I'm thinking several hours). If you have your data backed up, Boot the Install cd/usb, and you can do a "complete" install (where it takes over the whole drive) in about 15min.
I agree that reinstalling would be the best bet. Just giving some options.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32   #38
Jim1970
Learnin'

Hello,

I appreciate both sets of input here. Thank you!

Both of the computers that I have put Ubuntu on were literally in a drawer, awaiting a trip to the shooting range to be "disposed of." They stopped working well with Windows for whatever reason, and we moved on and bought new machines. Ubuntu has brought two machines that I thought were trash back to life.

We have an HP netbook that runs like a raped ape - it has all the Windows and Office software we use and might need in the future.

So, I'm installing Ubuntu on her machine as I type this message. I will go back and fix the wireless issue (thanks IGF), and then I will go get her preferred browser (Chrome).

Thanks again for the help!

Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 10:59   #39
Jim1970
Learnin'

Well, so much for a clean install being simple! Ugh.

I did the install, no trouble. Once it was completed, I plugged into my network and typed in the "sudo" commands given here on GT to get my broadcomm hardware to work wirelessly. Typed the commands in, computer did all the same stuff as before, then I restarted my machine. I anticipated that the computer would auto-detect the network, as it did before. This time: nothing. I've gone in and manually configured the settings for my network (name, password), but I cannot get it to see the wireless network.

HELP!

Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15   #40
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Well, so much for a clean install being simple! Ugh.

I did the install, no trouble. Once it was completed, I plugged into my network and typed in the "sudo" commands given here on GT to get my broadcomm hardware to work wirelessly. Typed the commands in, computer did all the same stuff as before, then I restarted my machine. I anticipated that the computer would auto-detect the network, as it did before. This time: nothing. I've gone in and manually configured the settings for my network (name, password), but I cannot get it to see the wireless network.

HELP!

Jim
Did you activate the driver?