Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:31   #1
WarEagle32

Help me find a 6.8 upper to hunt with!

I have been looking for a complete 6.8 upper assembly to put on my Daniel Defense lower to deer and coyote hunt with this season. The Rock River Coyote 6.8 is far and away in the lead on what I want to buy. I like one of the PSA's as well, but can't find a bolt carrier group for the 6.8. The Stag 7 is ok as well but I like the Rock River the best that I have seen. I'm not too good at finding deals like this online. Please let me know where I can get a complete 16 inch RR 6.8 upper, or a very similar 6.8. Maybe even a cheap 6.8 BCG to put with a PSA. I'm on a budget with this buy after buying my DD. Id just love an affordable hunting style 6.8 with no fixed front sight, or none of the traditional plastic handguards. Thanks guys!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18   #2
floorburn_21
.40 ftw

Ben from Bison Armory saved me a ton of money. Give him a shout. I just got mine at the beginning of the month and I love it. I went with a blemished upper and some parts he had laying around that weren't on the site to save some cash.

http://bisonarmory.com/contact/

I just posted a thread about my build process actually. Here it is hanging out with me in my tree.

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by floorburn_21; 11-15-2012 at 02:21..
floorburn_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14   #3
Abull

6.8 and on a budget don't really go together! I bought an ARP barrel and bolt and put my upper together, great barrel by the way. The problem you will have right now is finding the bcg. A friend just pieced together a 6.8 because nobody had all the parts. I did find him a bcg, Harrison from ARP actually called and asked where we found it! Good luck, I love mine, it shoots really well.

Alan
Abull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12   #4
kenwdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle32 View Post
I have been looking for a complete 6.8 upper assembly to put on my Daniel Defense lower to deer and coyote hunt with this season. The Rock River Coyote 6.8 is far and away in the lead on what I want to buy. I like one of the PSA's as well, but can't find a bolt carrier group for the 6.8. The Stag 7 is ok as well but I like the Rock River the best that I have seen. I'm not too good at finding deals like this online. Please let me know where I can get a complete 16 inch RR 6.8 upper, or a very similar 6.8. Maybe even a cheap 6.8 BCG to put with a PSA. I'm on a budget with this buy after buying my DD. Id just love an affordable hunting style 6.8 with no fixed front sight, or none of the traditional plastic handguards. Thanks guys!
[URL]http://ar15sales.com/rrauppers.htm[/URL]
kenwdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16   #5
kenwdal

My Bison 6.8
Black Rifle Forum

My Stag 6.8
Black Rifle Forum
Old 11-15-2012, 19:28   #6
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

You don't need a complete BCG--only a bolt. And I've seen quite a few 6.8 bolts lately.

I have two 6.8 Rifles. One with a Noveske Recon barrel and one with a PSA lightweight Barrel. Of the two I prefer the PSA. Its lighter and shoots with about the same degree of accuracy as the Noveske. Both barrels will keep 10 shots under an inch at 100 yards with the right load.

Look to Silver State Armory for affordable ammo.

In my state the magazine limitation for a hunting rifle is 10 rounds. I prefer the PRI 6.8 magazines and they make a 10 rounder. Unfortunately they run around $40. Silver State and Midway USA both sell them.

I've had very good accuracy from 100 grian Nosler Accubonds and 95 Grain Barnes TTSX. If you reload the go to powder for this cartridge seems to be AA2200. Its done well for me as well.

Here's my PSA barreled 6.8

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 11-15-2012 at 19:38..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 22:22   #7
WarEagle32

Any info welcome and needed guys!! Thanks
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 23:09   #8
birda40
Woody

Is it a regular 5.56 lower it mounts to?
birda40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 00:57   #9
kenwdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by birda40 View Post
Is it a regular 5.56 lower it mounts to?
Yes, Same lower
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57   #10
george1107

Big Bird, I like the PSA 6.8 barrel in the pic - what model is it? Are there different thicknesses of barrel - say, as compared to the Stag pic I also see in this thread....

:usaf:
george1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 16:05   #11
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorburn_21 View Post
Ben from Bison Armory saved me a ton of money. Give him a shout. I just got mine at the beginning of the month and I love it. I went with a blemished upper and some parts he had laying around that weren't on the site to save some cash.

http://bisonarmory.com/contact/

I just posted a thread about my build process actually. Here it is hanging out with me in my tree.

Black Rifle Forum
I went with Bison as well. Very happy with the upper. I went with a Stag Arms bolt in a RRA BCG I had. And PMI mags as well, they make nice 6.8 mags.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 16:07   #12
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
You don't need a complete BCG--only a bolt. And I've seen quite a few 6.8 bolts lately.

I have two 6.8 Rifles. One with a Noveske Recon barrel and one with a PSA lightweight Barrel. Of the two I prefer the PSA. Its lighter and shoots with about the same degree of accuracy as the Noveske. Both barrels will keep 10 shots under an inch at 100 yards with the right load.

Look to Silver State Armory for affordable ammo.

In my state the magazine limitation for a hunting rifle is 10 rounds. I prefer the PRI 6.8 magazines and they make a 10 rounder. Unfortunately they run around $40. Silver State and Midway USA both sell them.

I've had very good accuracy from 100 grian Nosler Accubonds and 95 Grain Barnes TTSX. If you reload the go to powder for this cartridge seems to be AA2200. Its done well for me as well.

Here's my PSA barreled 6.8

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
Look here Johnny Storm trying to even mention a PSA in the same sentence as Noveske is sure to light this thread up! And to say you prefer the PSA.....just fueling that fire sir
Old 11-30-2012, 16:25   #13
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Look here Johnny Storm trying to even mention a PSA in the same sentence as Noveske is sure to light this thread up! And to say you prefer the PSA.....just fueling that fire sir
Since I own both I'm speaking purely from the experience of owning one Noveske SS 6.8 barrel and one PSA 6.8 barrel.

I paid $189 for the PSA barrel and $350 for the Noveske. The PSA is lighter, groups just as well and cost roughly half.

Furthermore, the PSA barrel is a FN made barrel and when Noveske uses a Carbon steel barrel in their guns they use FN barrels.

So yeah...I'm very fond of my PSA barrel on my 6.8 and since the performance is nearly identical I tend to favor it over the Noveske based on the price differential alone.

I also own 2 other PSA/FN barrels in 5.56 and have found them to be superb for the money as well (less than $200 each).

Here's a link the the PSA barrel on my gun but as I recall I bought it for $189 on sale....http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...le-barrel.html

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 11-30-2012 at 16:29..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 17:06   #14
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Since I own both I'm speaking purely from the experience of owning one Noveske SS 6.8 barrel and one PSA 6.8 barrel.

I paid $189 for the PSA barrel and $350 for the Noveske. The PSA is lighter, groups just as well and cost roughly half.

Furthermore, the PSA barrel is a FN made barrel and when Noveske uses a Carbon steel barrel in their guns they use FN barrels.

So yeah...I'm very fond of my PSA barrel on my 6.8 and since the performance is nearly identical I tend to favor it over the Noveske based on the price differential alone.

I also own 2 other PSA/FN barrels in 5.56 and have found them to be superb for the money as well (less than $200 each).

Here's a link the the PSA barrel on my gun but as I recall I bought it for $189 on sale....http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...le-barrel.html
No doubt I was just trying to get ahead of the brand whores who are sure to attack your post for daring to favor the PSA. Just cause you have both you should still adhere to their opinion!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22   #15
PlasticGuy

If you already have a nice DD, I'd save up and buy a DD V7 Lightweight upper. I have one. It may be the best handling light hunting rifle I've ever used.