GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:14   #21
JimmyN

I don't have any experience with the hybrid drives, and I don't know anyone that is currently using a hybrid.

If you want really fast try two SSD's in a RAID 0 striped setup. One of my game system configurations was two Intel 520's in a RAID 0 for a 240gig system drive. Boots in 6~7 seconds, shuts down in about 3 seconds. POST takes longer than it does for Windows to boot. Awesome fast, and even better when supplemented with a ramdrive for temp and cache files, as a ramdrive is more than 20 times faster than even an SSD.

DO, and I repeat DO maintain daily system images if you run two SSD's in a stripe, but that applies whether it's a mechanical drive or solid state. If either drive fails all is lost..... resulting in many cries of woe, a gnashing of teeth, and grown men openly weeping upon discovering their most recent backup is 6 months old.
Old 11-17-2012, 13:12   #22
joe0121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockFanWA View Post
Running an SSD under windows 7 for about a year, no issues. Just the o/s on it, moved the swap file to my hard drive. System boots in about 20 seconds.
Disable the swap file. My system has 16 gigs of memory. Once you get over 6 the swap becomes very pointless.
Old 11-17-2012, 13:21   #23
joe0121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
I don't have any experience with the hybrid drives, and I don't know anyone that is currently using a hybrid.

If you want really fast try two SSD's in a RAID 0 striped setup. One of my game system configurations was two Intel 520's in a RAID 0 for a 240gig system drive. Boots in 6~7 seconds, shuts down in about 3 seconds. POST takes longer than it does for Windows to boot. Awesome fast, and even better when supplemented with a ramdrive for temp and cache files, as a ramdrive is more than 20 times faster than even an SSD.

DO, and I repeat DO maintain daily system images if you run two SSD's in a stripe, but that applies whether it's a mechanical drive or solid state. If either drive fails all is lost..... resulting in many cries of woe, a gnashing of teeth, and grown men openly weeping upon discovering their most recent backup is 6 months old.
I ran Raid 0 on to 60 gigs for a while. INSANE fast. I switched to Ubuntu 12.10 so I switched to a raid 1.

Not really necessary to do a daily image in a raid 0. I would invest in a cloud drive like drop box. I have like 120 gigs for ten bucks a month. Do a weakly image back up, easily set up in windows this will capture all your OS setting and installed apps (a better idea is using portable apps and a usb 3.0 drive). Systems setting don't change that often and when they do having to re download your desktop background isn't that annoying. Important files should get back up on a cloud drive or raid protected internal drive. I like using a cloud because the files I need most often are available EVERYWHERE. That and if my house burns to the ground there is no amount of raid protection that will save your files.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:40   #24
joe0121

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
How about the hybrid drives, how reliable are those?
Hybrid drives IMO are a waste. They provide very little real world performance increase.