GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 13:54   #51
jbglock

I don't know one leo that thinks only people in le should have guns. I call BS for that. Some things are opinions. Some are outright lies.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:05   #52
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Who says they do? From what I see, most OC stops are caused by citizens calling in "man with a gun". They have to check it out.

When you get pulled over for speeding, aren't they also "assuming" the possibility that you may pull out a gun and kill them?
I would agree. Society has changed over the years. After the late 80's the cops no longer liked people getting out of the car without reason. Prior to that it was almost normal to get out and chat with an officer and even sit in the car with them while they wrote a ticket. But violence has changed things.

For oc stops I agree that most are people calling in with "man with a gun" calls. Some officers do act like people are the enemy. But when I see a lot of these taped confrontations people are just trying to set the leo up and that is also wrong.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:18   #53
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
I don't know one leo that thinks only people in le should have guns. I call BS for that. Some things are opinions. Some are outright lies.

Or at least often repeated internet "wisdom" that has little connection to the real world. Surveys of even police chiefs suggest that a majority agree in some cases citizens being armed reduces crime. Even in one of the most anti gun major cities in the only state that still does not have concealed carry several police groups have come out in favor of concealed carry legislation http://survivalandprosperity.com/tag...der-of-police/
http://www.aphf.org/surveyresults.pdf
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-07-2012 at 14:38..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:16   #54
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Or at least often repeated internet "wisdom" that has little connection to the real world. Surveys of even police chiefs suggest that a majority agree in some cases citizens being armed reduces crime. Even in one of the most anti gun major cities in the only state that still does not have concealed carry several police groups have come out in favor of concealed carry legislation http://survivalandprosperity.com/tag...der-of-police/
http://www.aphf.org/surveyresults.pdf
I guess that just doesn't fit with whatever people think they know from watching TV, reading some radical anti-government web site, or other baloney. Personally I think if more of the public carry concealed or openly carried their really would be less crime. I don't even agree with concealed carry as it does exist in my state. I think if you can obtain a handgun permit then you should only be required to take the class to get a concealed carry permit and NOT be charged for this by the state.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31   #55
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I don't assume someone is or isn't a criminal. I'm even less apt to assume something about someone carrying a gun. I support open carry. But in an urban area, it's a cry for attention. A permit holder looking to be noticed is going to get noticed at some point, and this can sometimes cause a delay in their day while facts are checked rather than assumptions made. I prefer to blend rather than advertise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Why do LEOs assume that OCers are criminals? I don't understand.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:02   #56
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGlocker View Post
Many in LE believe that only LE should carry weapons.
Not true. If I pull someone over that has a cpl license and they are not carrying their gun, I ask them "why not. I would if I were you" It is not the LAW ABIDING citizens carrying a firearm we are worried about. Most officers i know do not have a problem with that. Criminals typically do not get their guns legally. Major difference.
As for the police stopping someone open carrying. Do realize how many calls from citizens the police get on "person with a gun"? Police then have to respond and "check out" that person with a gun. But does not mean the police are against that.

Last edited by dpadams6; 11-18-2012 at 07:05..
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26   #57
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I don't assume someone is or isn't a criminal. I'm even less apt to assume something about someone carrying a gun. I support open carry. But in an urban area, it's a cry for attention. A permit holder looking to be noticed is going to get noticed at some point, and this can sometimes cause a delay in their day while facts are checked rather than assumptions made. I prefer to blend rather than advertise.
ome people carry openly for good, legal reason. Example - I OC in NH because I don't have an out-of-state CCW permit yet.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56   #58
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGlocker View Post
Many in LE believe that only LE should carry weapons.
I've only heard this on the internet.

(Is that proof enough it must be true? IDK).

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 11-22-2012 at 12:58..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 13:16   #59
xmanhockey7

Depending on the area I find most cops are in favor of citizens being armed. Now there are some who believe it should be concealed so they will harass people who OC or they do not know OC is legal so then they harass. Through people actually OCing many LEO have been educated on the legality of OC.
Old 11-22-2012, 13:29   #60
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

LE are educated on OC by lawyers and certified instructors in and after their academy, not by random permittees. While a select few may have difficulty computing why someone would do that (carry on a permit with the weapon purposely on display) intentionally in an urban setting, by and large, the average police officer is far more conversant with legal issues, to include those related to permittee carry, than the general non-LE/non lawyer public, except on the internet. . On the internet, the average permittee shoots more accurately than any cop, trains more/better/longer than anyone in law enforcement, makes more money than anyone in law enforcement, knows the law and has a grasp of constitutional considerations far beyond the grasp of the average supreme court justice, and has fresher breath than anyone with a real badge. But in reality, there's always room for improvement and mature discourse from both camps. Can does not equal should. But saying someone shouldn't do something just because another party thinks it unwise is no way to live. Carry on! Just do it in a pretty holster.
Old 11-22-2012, 14:20   #61
xmanhockey7

I'm not saying it's the OCer who educates the cop. It's the fact the OCer gets stopped then contacts the department about their being stopped that leads to the officers being educated by instructors or attorneys. And you're right most in the general public do not know the laws well at all. I had one guy at a shooting range tell me I committed a felony by transporting my pistol in a case unloaded in the trunk of my vehicle. However there are also many in law enforcement that do not know the law which leads to them stopping people for no reason.

ETA: The "many" is really down to "few" in Michigan at least.

Last edited by xmanhockey7; 11-22-2012 at 14:21..
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 14:46   #62
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Well said sir.
Old 11-22-2012, 15:12   #63
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Why are there no man with a book calls?
Because "words will never hurt you"
Old 11-22-2012, 15:38   #64
F350

Already posted

Last edited by F350; 11-22-2012 at 15:57..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:03   #65
packsaddle

if an officer responds to an armed subject call, and you are the armed subject, then yes you will likely by asked for identification and yes you are being detained.

yes you will need to present your identification and yes the officer may also run the serial number to check for stolen.

you can resist the officer's demands but i promise it likely won't end well for you.

remember you are the reason for the call for service.

don't be mad at the officer, be mad at the hoplophobiac who called you in.

or, be mad at liberals who created all the hoplophobia in the first place.

or maybe just be mad at yourself for walking around with an exposed gun in a world of hoplophobiacs.

yes it's sad but it's the world we live in and at this point it appears there's no going back.
packsaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:13   #66
whiskey rebel1

It's all about control.
whiskey rebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:52   #67
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by packsaddle View Post
if an officer responds to an armed subject call, and you are the armed subject, then yes you will likely by asked for identification and yes you are being detained.
Unlawful detainment

Quote:
yes you will need to present your identification and yes the officer may also run the serial number to check for stolen.
My state is not a stop and ID state. So there is no need to present my ID and no they may not lawfully run the serial number on my gun. However if they do so I will not resist.

Quote:
you can resist the officer's demands but i promise it likely won't end well for you.
Sure I can but I won't. If he wants to violate my rights that's fine. The department can pay for that later.

Quote:
remember you are the reason for the call for service.
I'm breaking no law and I did not call myself in.

Quote:
don't be mad at the officer, be mad at the hoplophobiac who called you in.
Not mad at the cop unless he detains me.

Quote:
or, be mad at liberals who created all the hoplophobia in the first place.
I am.

Quote:
or maybe just be mad at yourself for walking around with an exposed gun in a world of hoplophobiacs.
I'm not. I probably would never have gotten into open carry had the age to get a CPL be 18 instead of 21 (I'm 20 now). So I'd say blame the state of Michigan for getting me into open carry.

Quote:
yes it's sad but it's the world we live in and at this point it appears there's no going back.
The public and law enforcement are becoming well educated regarding open carry and stops are becoming few and far between. Ideally there should be none but that just comes from education. 99% of cops are great guys and many of them know open carry is legal. Even the ones who don't like it realize it's legal and leave those who OC alone.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59   #68
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Because by design a book is not intended to be a deadly weapon. a firearm is. And so far we don't have people taking their books into schools, playgrounds, churches, malls, and theaters and killing folks with their book.

If a gun is to be viewed no different than a book why not carry a book for self defense and deterrent instead of a gun?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:00   #69
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Who says they do? From what I see, most OC stops are caused by citizens calling in "man with a gun". They have to check it out.

When you get pulled over for speeding, aren't they also "assuming" the possibility that you may pull out a gun and kill them?
Soccer moms are guilty.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:06   #70
MeanAction
MeanAction

I'm still trying to firgure out what people mean when they say they Open Carry? Are all these open carry people tucking their shirt in? I'm calling a foul right there. Why are you tucking your shirt in goobers? LOL. I carry a G36 in a high ride OWB holster with my shirt untucked 4-5 days a week. I find that most people are to preoccupied with their lives to notice a slight bulge on my hip.
MeanAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50   #71
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Not true. If I pull someone over that has a cpl license and they are not carrying their gun, I ask them "why not. I would if I were you" It is not the LAW ABIDING citizens carrying a firearm we are worried about. Most officers i know do not have a problem with that. Criminals typically do not get their guns legally. Major difference.
I have never had an issue when pulled over with a firearm. One time I offered the information as the driver was presenting her license and registration and the other I was driving and the weapons question preceeded the officer asking for my license and registration. Both stops ended without incident. The stop where I offered the information, the officer asked where the firearm was and I responded that it was in the center console. All he said was to leave it where it was and that was the end of it. The other stop the officer disarmed me and ran the serial. He came back and handed me my firearm, asked me not to reload it until he left, and let me go with no ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
As for the police stopping someone open carrying. Do realize how many calls from citizens the police get on "person with a gun"? Police then have to respond and "check out" that person with a gun. But does not mean the police are against that.
The irony of it is that you would think a criminal would not OC to begin with. I would imagine someone intent on commiting a crime would want the least amount of people possible to see the gun until he was actually using it. But then again some criminals do take the cake when it comes to deserving the Darwin award.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:55   #72
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanAction View Post
I'm still trying to firgure out what people mean when they say they Open Carry? Are all these open carry people tucking their shirt in? I'm calling a foul right there. Why are you tucking your shirt in goobers? LOL. I carry a G36 in a high ride OWB holster with my shirt untucked 4-5 days a week. I find that most people are to preoccupied with their lives to notice a slight bulge on my hip.
My carry weapon is chosen by what I am wearing. Loose fitting untucked shirt and it is either a G27 or a G19 in an OWB holster. Dress clothes and it is a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster. Even if OC was legal in my state, I would never want the attention. I appreciate the job that most police officers do, however I am going to limit my chance of interaction with them whil on the job as much as possible, especially when it concerns a firearm. Although most are ok from my experience, not all officers do share the view that civilians should be carrying weapons.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52   #73
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
My carry weapon is chosen by what I am wearing. Loose fitting untucked shirt and it is either a G27 or a G19 in an OWB holster. Dress clothes and it is a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster. Even if OC was legal in my state, I would never want the attention. I appreciate the job that most police officers do, however I am going to limit my chance of interaction with them whil on the job as much as possible, especially when it concerns a firearm. Although most are ok from my experience, not all officers do share the view that civilians should be carrying weapons.
I agree that it's a wise policy to limit interaction with LE.
MeanAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58   #74
engineer151515

tagged to read thru later
Old 11-23-2012, 07:35   #75
Roger1079

My opinion is if you are going to openly carry a gun in public, you have no right to be upset about the attention it causes. Many people are afraid of guns and also have no possible idea what a STRANGER's intentions are when they see a gun, hence the man with gun calls that officers are obligated to investigate.