Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2012, 13:40   #1
Big Dog Dad

Reset BIOS question????

I'm not sure what happened, but my wife's PC running XP recently had a massive crash and I think the BIOS needs reset. My question is if I reset it to factory default will I loose anything in the way of applications, hardware drivers, etc. This PC is so old, I don't have a lot of the original disks to reload everything and I'm about ready to put a 45 through it mainly because I'm tired of hearing her whining and moaning. She uses it mainly for e-mail, word processing and silly games. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there anything I should know if I go into safe mode on startup?

-=BDD=-
Old 11-17-2012, 14:44   #2
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

What do you mean by "resetting the BIOS?"...are you talking about reformatting your hard drive or actually FLASHING the BIOS? If you don't know, you probably shouldn't try either...
Old 11-17-2012, 15:36   #3
joe0121

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarandScotch View Post
What do you mean by "resetting the BIOS?"...are you talking about reformatting your hard drive or actually FLASHING the BIOS? If you don't know, you probably shouldn't try either...
I tend to agree. If you have a video camera video the monitor as you press the power button. This will allow us to watch the POST and see what the issue may be.
Old 11-17-2012, 15:54   #4
rednoved
NRA Member

What makes you think the BIOS is the issue?
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 19:17   #5
Big Dog Dad

I meant flashing the BIOS...

I've thought that BIOS might be the issue with the loss of my E: drive, low virtual memory error, out of memory error in Word and a few other applications. Will it do any harm to "flash" the BIOS during a reboot or do you have any suggestions? I'll take a few pics during bootup if you think that will help. Like I said, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-=BDD=-
Old 11-17-2012, 20:06   #6
srhoades

Flashing the BIOS will not fix your problem. Sounds like you had a failed hard drive and and you have insufficient RAM, hence the virtual memory errors. Too many programs loading at startup can also cause that.
Old 11-17-2012, 23:17   #7
Detectorist

Without getting into your REAL computer issues...I would never, unless it's an emergency critical fix, flash the BIOS.

Are you actually talking about System Restore?

What do you see on the screen when it boots up?

What brand/model computer do you have?

If you haven't done so already, disconnect everything from the computer except the mouse, keyboard, screen, power plug and restart it.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 11-17-2012 at 23:21..
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 19:25   #8
soulxfer

Bios reset will not resolve your issue, if its low on virtual memory. Try cleaning up C drive and remove programs that start automatically. Use "autoruns" utility from sysinternals.com , its easy to use.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
soulxfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:15   #9
stevemc

Try replacing the ram. It's easy and you aren't going to blow up your settings. BIOS is not your issue.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I guess I'll ask.. How much RAM does the machine have?
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote