Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 00:34   #1
TH237

Do you clean after you tumble?

I normally use untreated walnut hull, however... The Lyman tufnut treated with polishing compound was all they had. I used it as normal but when I checked the cases I saw a lot of the compound on the cases. I know I can wipe it off the outside but what about the inside? Do any of you wash the cases with soap and water to remove it? Perhaps there is a better way. If so please share.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2012, 00:41   #2
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

I just put them in a towel and work them for a few minutes.
Gets most of the leftover stuff off.

You shouldn't be getting anything inside the cases?

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/f...mblers_faq.php

Last edited by JBnTX; 11-19-2012 at 00:57..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21   #3
TH237

There is definitely red residue inside the cases. I mean the cases are obviously open and immersed in the media.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53   #4
twag4

I have some of thst media as well. It only leaves the residue on the first batch or two. After that its ok. I just load them. Never had a problem.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54   #5
alwaysshootin

Used some of the treated years ago, never again! Plain crushed walnut, from here on out, for me, thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17   #6
Kentguy

TH237... "Do any of you wash the cases with soap and water to remove it? Perhaps there is a better way. If so please share."

Like "Alwaysshootin", I also tried that product years ago and like him I agree... Never again.

My process is a bit more cumbersome than most. Bottom line reloading is a Hobby for me, not a job, so I don't mind putting in the time to get the results that I want.

Short & sweet version, after you have de-primed your casings;

1st. put them in bucket with warm water & "Birchwood Casey Brass Cartridge Case Cleaner" (just follow the directions).
2nd. next spread them out on a towel, than I take a "Q-Tip" and swab out the primer pocket and the interior of the case itself.
3rd. Dump em in the tumbler (with corn media mix) & and squirt of "Nu-Finish" car/metal polish... 3 hrs later they come out like a brand new shinny penny both inside & out.

Makes inspection extremely through. Like I said my process in not for everyone but this is the way I conduct it for my standards.

Good luck & have fun

Last edited by Kentguy; 11-19-2012 at 08:19..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38   #7
W.E.G.

I use plain ground walnut shells.

Never any polish, solvent or goo in the mix.

After cases come out of tumbler, they go on a towel on the floor for the one or two that still have walnut hiding in them to dump their load.

Cases are then ready for resizing.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54   #8
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I run 2 tumblers at a time, buy 40# bags of corncob. Tumble 3-4 hours with Nu-Finish cut with a little paint thinner and toss in a cut up dryer sheet.
I keep a little walnut on standby in case I come upon a lot of really dirty brass, I never treat it with anything though. Tumble for 2 hours and toss it in the corncob to final clean.
I like really shiny brass, makes it easier to find cracks particularly on rifle case necks.
I'm hoping to get a wet SS media tumbler for Christmas to process my Lapua brass for my bolt gun.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 11-20-2012 at 08:23..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03   #9
Kwesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I run 2 tumblers at a time, buy 40# bags of corncob. Tumble 3-4 hours with Nu-Finish cut with a little paint thinner and toss in a cut up dryer sheet.
I only load pistol and do not deprive prior to tumbling. Nu-Finish works great and acts as a lubricant. I find 2-3 hours in the tumbler is all it takes. I believe boxer is referring to used dryer sheets.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:03   #10
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH237 View Post
I normally use untreated walnut hull, however... The Lyman tufnut treated with polishing compound was all they had. I used it as normal but when I checked the cases I saw a lot of the compound on the cases. I know I can wipe it off the outside but what about the inside? Do any of you wash the cases with soap and water to remove it? Perhaps there is a better way. If so please share.

Thanks.

I use the Lyman TuffNut. I only use it if the cases are extremely dirty or stained and on all range pick-up brass the first time.

I toss them in corn cob media afterwards with a little Frankford Arsenal case polish and it cleans the jewelers rouge out of the cases.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50   #11
SigFTW

I use corncob also, and a dryer sheet to keep it clean. Works great for what I need.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30   #12
dkf

I bought some of that Red Lyman tuffnut stuff due to lack of options when I bought the tumbler. I have used it many times and it still leaves the red from rouge all over the cases. To remove it tumble in untreated media. I just keep the red stuff for really dirty brass since I have it. It is really not worth the trouble.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31   #13
Colorado4Wheel

If I had some of the red stuff I would reduce it with some regular. Sounds like it just has way to much polishing media in it.
Old 11-21-2012, 00:44   #14
ejs54

I've been using walnut sold as pet litter. Recently I have been accumulating a lot of brass in different conditions and adding Flitz media polisher into the mix. This works well for cleaning and polishing but it does leave an annoying dust behind.

Right now I'm recycling the media well over 10 times and running all the bulk brass with it. Eventually will dump it out and use plain walnuts without any chemicals on my spent casings which don't need much cleaning.
, 45ACP, 300 Win Mag, .223/5.56
ejs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

The Lyman Tufnut really does a great job at cleaning up the cases, but you've already discovered the down side - all the rouge everywhere.

I just mix it about 5:1 corncob:walnut and make sure to put in some cut up dryer sheets and it minimizes the dust / rouge everywhere.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 16:52   #16
racer11

I soak my cases in Purple Power for about a hour and rinse and dry. Then I tumble in corn cob media and then I resize and deprime and process.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40   #17
EKUJustice

I use corncob media from the walmart pet section and a capfull or so of nufinish from automotive every few cycles. I put a dryer sheet or 2 in every cycle. the brass comes out shining and no residue
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:49   #18
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

I second Boxer, I run two tumblers, lyman 1200 and the huge one from Harbor Freight. I buy cheap corn cop media use a dap of new finish and cheap dryer sheets, They come out looking brand new. I do however have the brand new Hornady ultrasonic cleaner coming, the one you can fit your whole AR upper in, can't wait to see how that works for both rifle and precision rifle brass.

Reloading

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 19:25   #19
MtnBiker
NRA Member

I've never had residue stay on the brass like that. After tumbling, I just put the brass in a mesh bag and shake it up so any remaining walnut shell media falls out.
Old 11-23-2012, 19:49   #20
MannyA

Well hell ya
My back gets all dusty!

Crushed walnut and nu finish and call it good
MannyA is offline   Reply With Quote