Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 17:39   #21
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post

I fired the M16 for the first time in 1985. Bought my 1st AR in
1989. Been there,.....dealt with that.
M16 in '84 courtesy of some "polite gentlemen" on Parris Island, SC.

First AR in '91-92 when my LGS had ALL of 3 flavors; Colt, Bushmaster, and possibly Olympic Arms (?)

I went with a Colt "LW Sporter" for about $519 + Kentucky sales tax.

Wow. That said, I feel really old.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:51   #22
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Yep,......old school, old dirt.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:55   #23
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
My guns don't really prefer one contractor over another, as I have never had a problem with any of them.
Agreed. Back in the day, the WWW was scant with reviews so I was always keen to look for items that DoD trashed (i.e. Sanchez brand M16 mags and some companies for the M9 9mm mags).

Prior to anything synthetic, Labelle was known as the "King" of reliable AR15/M16 mags and were not more expensive (if at all) than some other so-so contractor's offerings.

As for PMags, they are constructed quite well and possibly over-engineered like true AK steel mags, which suits me just fine.

And being less than low-drag-high-speed, the LAST thing I need is to have a defective AR mag when my 200-meter paper target decides to go all rogue on me at the range!
Old 11-19-2012, 17:56   #24
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Yep,......old school, old dirt.

Roger that.
Old 11-19-2012, 18:00   #25
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I think we can all agree that quality AR mags (metal or synthetic) are out there and available for a reasonable price. I think $10-12 bucks for a quality GI mag magazine is still a bargain.

I don't know how many of you guys lived thru Clinton's AWB (Sept 94/Sept 2004) but prices were insane and I will NEVER be held hostage like that again!
All of the magazines I picked up today were marked 09/04.
I presume they were all made as the ban expired, but they are still marked Gov't/LE use only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19   #26
John Biltz

Depends on how used they are. GIs are really good at breaking things. It also depends on how you are planning on using them. For range work? Sure, why not. Personally, I think PMAGs are cheap and a quality product so its what I buy.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53   #27
FatBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
What are your guys thoughts on used surplus GI magazines? For those of you who don't like them, at what price would you consider buying some? And for those who love them, what do you usually pay for them?

Just bought a 3 pack for $20 at one of the copious local military surplus shops, and i figured at 7 bucks a piece including taxes, it can't hurt to stock up. Not a great deal, but better than spending twice as much online for new aluminum/steel mags.
The last new "GI" mags I bought were $90/10 shipped(currently OOS), and DSG has PMags for $100/10 +shipping this week. Just sayin'.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DSGHOLIDAYPK1.aspx

ETA: Copes has $90/10 D&H w/ MagPul followers Free ship this week http://www.copesdistributing.net/bla...ck-p-5733.html

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by FatBoy; 11-20-2012 at 13:03.. Reason: ETA: linky
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 13:04   #28
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
All of the magazines I picked up today were marked 09/04.
I presume they were all made as the ban expired, but they are still marked Gov't/LE use only.
I stand corrected, 2 of the 3 mags i picked up are marked 07/04, but all 3 are marked Gov't/LE use only

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
Depends on how used they are. GIs are really good at breaking things. It also depends on how you are planning on using them. For range work? Sure, why not. Personally, I think PMAGs are cheap and a quality product so its what I buy.
The GI mags are for range use only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
The last new "GI" mags I bought were $90/10 shipped(currently OOS), and DSG has PMags for $100/10 +shipping this week. Just sayin'.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DSGHOLIDAYPK1.aspx
I've been looking around and have seen the 10 pack on dsgarms.com, but I'd rather just pay the $12 for pmags than the $10 for GI mags. That's just a personal preference. But at $7 a piece for the used GI mags I found, it's about half the price of shipped PMAGs and they are all in good shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55   #29
wwcadre

I have about 70 GI surplus mags. Most of them were used and just given to me. I changed all the springs and followers with new ones and have yet to have a problem with any of them.

That being said, I am very impressed with the Pmags and Troy battle mags. I think they are a vast improvement in design and function. I will probably pick up a few, 20 or so, of them to add to my stash. Im kind of a magazine horder.
wwcadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24   #30
bigmoney890

Well I have no doubt that the old GI mags will function fine.

The pre-ban I got from my parents functioned fine on sunday and i'm about to head out to the range again and I shall test the ones I got on monday. If they function fine then i'm good to go, if not, i'll change out the followers and then run them.