Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2012, 17:40   #1
Veedubklown

My FM Hi-Power

Bought it today when I went to my FFL to pick up my tec-22. It was lonely and on consignment when I bought my Bul back in February. Low and behold, 3 months later, it's still there. It needed to come home.

The Browning Hi Power Club

Best I can tell, it's an FM M95, with a Pachmayr extended slide lock, and ambi-safety. It has tru-glo night sights, but they're a bit old, and a little dim. They still glow, but I think they could use an update. The baked on enamal is about 80%, but there's an area of touch-up, that looks like crap. Wonder if I could clean it up and have it blued? May go a professional finish, as I want this to be a carry gun. $341 for BHP, FFL transfer, and tax. Not bad?

ETA: Just got back from the range, with it. Federal 115gr FMJ, hydrashoks, it doesn't care. It eats anything. Ran 5 mags through it with 1 failing to lock to the rear at empty, but I only have 1 mag (for now), so coulda been dirty? Dry? bad ammo? Cleaned lubed it when I got home. Filled it with hydrashoks and love my new BHP.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 05-03-2012 at 20:29..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:30   #2
bac1023

Very nice

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 21:41   #3
Veedubklown

Hey bac, any idea what the circular portion on the front of the slide lock is supposed to do? I use it to lock the slide back by pressing down on it with my left index finger, since I'm a lefty. Is is supposed to serve some other purpose, or is that it? I was thinking it would be better serrated, but I've never seen that.
Old 05-04-2012, 22:45   #4
yellowhand

You got a good one, love mine, like yours, it will feed ANYTHING in the mag!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 23:30   #5
Veedubklown

As many have said before about the BHP, I found the trigger less than satisfactory. This was after a prior owner had removed the magazine safety. I feel that the gun should have the safeties intact, so I ordered the replacement parts from browning. Also, I found the trigger to have alot of take-up, creep, and over-travel. I ordered a new trigger lever, in case I screwed this one up, but it seems to be doing well. I elongated it, and adjusted the angle of the sear lever, so that the trigger engages much sooner. Stoned and polished my hammer/sear, and welded a little nip onto the end of the front of the trigger, as an over-travel stop. This trigger is now about as close to a 1911 as it can get. I may flatten out the face a bit, and I'm getting a new trigger return spring from browning as well.

Can't wait to hit the range with it, maybe tomorrow. The trigger pull is only about 1/4th of an inch (measured the bottom of the trigger moving across the trigger guard), maybe 5lbs, and the reset is short and quick. It's not real positivebut I'm sure the new return spring will cure that.

Here's the front of the trigger where I applied just a dot of a weld, then filed it back down while watching TV and fitting it to the frame.
The Browning Hi Power ClubThe Browning Hi Power Club

Last edited by Veedubklown; 05-10-2012 at 09:38..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 16:48   #6
Decguns

Great pistol. I sold a lot of FM Hi-Powers in the shop back in the 1990's. They were so rediculously accurate, I kept one for myself. Mine feeds everything but 147gr flat nose lead projo's. I try to stick with Argentine military mags. No problems with either of their 13rd mag designs or their 15/17 rounders. The stock trigger pull never bothered me... it's far better than the single action pull on it's little brother FNX-9...

Old 05-10-2012, 17:01   #7
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decguns View Post
I try to stick with Argentine military mags. No problems with either of their 13rd mag designs or their 15/17 rounders. The stock trigger pull never bothered me...
I just ordered 3x of the mec-gar 15 rounders. I've heard great about them, will find out.
Old 07-01-2012, 19:58   #8
Veedubklown

They are indeed, fantastic. The Mec-Gar 15 round mags function perfectly, look, feel, and fit like the factory mag, except there's 2 ridges missing on the bottom, where mec-gar changed things to get the extra 2 rounds in. Fantastic mags.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20   #9
ca survivor

nice Browning, enjoy
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58   #10
Veedubklown

Added a set of hogue grips and changed out the +p recoil spring to be able to cycle target loads. Still cycles my defensive ammo just fine, without too much recoil. Not sure why the original owner put that spring in, gun didn't run at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 13:57   #11
toaddad

I bought BHP Mark III (made in belgium/assembled in Portugal) back in the late 1990's. I had always wanted one since it is such an elegent handgun. However the out of the box trigger was really heavy. Guess even then they were running scared of the lawyers. So I had a good local gunsmith do a triger job on it and got rid of the magazine disconnecrt. Now it has a superb single action trigger and I dressed it up with a pair of Craig Spegel's thin grips which make it fit my medium sized hand like a glove. Talk about a sweet dress gun!
toaddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 16:44   #12
dberry

FM are great guns. Im seriously thinking about getting my old FM back. Amazed its sat in the LGS case for a year now. Most pick it up and think its a cheap copy knockoff with a bad finish, how wrong they are.