SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2012, 16:09   #26
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
Uh, yeah... He's like the undisputed math genius on GT who is an actual physicist working on some little project called the CERN Large Hadron Collider...

And he's awesome at algebra, too...
I thought you were talking about the math of making a profit while selling cars below invoice- you know an expert in "imaginary numbers"

j/k
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:12   #27
lunarspeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
I thought you were talking about the math of making a profit while selling cars below invoice- you know an expert in "imaginary numbers"

j/k
:rofl
lunarspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:17   #28
omega48038

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge View Post
Who is the physicist you speak of? Is it "Devil dog2067"? Or some unnamed physicist who came up with the math that was neither presented nor referenced?
Dude, just quit while you're behind.
omega48038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:24   #29
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Uh, yeah... He's like the undisputed math genius on GT who is an actual physicist working on some little project called the CERN Large Hadron Collider...

And he's awesome at algebra, too...
Honestly not sure if serious.

I have been quite polite, and it's unclear to me how anybody could accuse me of potentially being a jerk. Im not a physicist... but if Devildog is a CERN physicist... I'm sure he could point me to an article that describes why the universe is finite.

I'm just a layman, but I did pay attention in school, and I am a serious poker player, so I have an interest in math from the standpoint of probability and statistics. I'm pretty capable with math, The only Internet forum that has really been able to leave me in the dust with math has been the probability forum at the 2+2 poker website (BruceZ, et al).

There are other posters here at GT who constantly reference math, but then never actually present math. I am honestly interested in seeing some actual math, or at least a link to some math so I can see for myself.

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
~Henry David Thoreau

Remember always: The government is not the country!
OlliesRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:41   #30
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:

j/k
What? What's this? You can't make a profit selling new cars below invoice? That's news to me!

One word: Holdback

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Old 11-22-2012, 16:49   #31
RonS

Intuitively I don't see how there can't be life elsewhere, but in the absence of evidence I have to say I don't know. The famous equation for "So many gaxaxies x so many stars x some factor for how many stars have planets x some factor for how many of those planets are in the theoretical life zone" = there must be life" has too many assumptions and guesses in it for me to take it seriously. I get it, the number of planets in orbits where H2O is neither gas nor frozen is probably huge.

I want us to go look. I want someone to find a way around the speed of light limit. Lacking that I want us to build orbiting habitats in space and eventually build generation ships. I want us to be prepared for us to be the only planet with life anywhere and I want us to be prepared to get a visit from the Galactic Trade Alliance tomorrow.

I don't assume either "OMG the aliens are going to come and rape our women, eat our children and enslave us to work in the mines!" nor "Any species advanced enough to travel between stars must be peaceful and benign".

I think the human race is living in condition white on this issue. We are assuming there is no one out there. We don't know and we don't even seem to be taking the possibility seriously. 7 billion eggs, one basket.
Old 11-22-2012, 16:51   #32
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

I have been quite polite, and it's unclear to me how anybody could accuse me of potentially being a jerk. Im not a physicist... but if Devildog is a CERN physicist... I'm sure he could point me to an article that describes why the universe is finite.

I'm just a layman, but I did pay attention in school, and I am a serious poker player, so I have an interest in math from the standpoint of probability and statistics. I'm pretty capable with math, The only Internet forum that has really been able to leave me in the dust with math has been the probability forum at the 2+2 poker website (BruceZ, et al).

There are other posters here at GT who constantly reference math, but then never actually present math. I am honestly interested in seeing some actual math, or at least a link to some math so I can see for myself.
Yes, Devildog, aka Steven Won, has his PhD in Elementary Particle Physics and has worked at CERN.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 16:52   #33
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega48038 View Post
Dude, just quit while you're behind.
I'm not here to win an argument, nor do I have a bone to pick. Just here to discuss and potentially learn something.

I do know this ---Stephen Hawking does not discount the possibility of extraterrestrial life, although to be fair I do not believe he does so using the argument that "the universe is infinite", but rather that the universe is very, very, large.

~Henry David Thoreau

Old 11-22-2012, 16:54   #34
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Yes, Devildog, aka Steven Won, has his PhD in Elementary Particle Physics and has worked at CERN.

-ArtificialGrape
Nice, looks like I showed up to the right thread.

~Henry David Thoreau

Old 11-22-2012, 16:56   #35
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

The Possibility of Extra terrestrial life?

No way Obama or the Clinton's can be from Earth
Old 11-22-2012, 17:11   #36
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
No way Obama or the Clinton's can be from Earth
7th planet, dude.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:14   #37
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
The Bible doesn't really close the door on the possibilities of other created beings in other galaxies... It doesn't mention them, but doesn't say they don't exist, either...
This.

Old 11-22-2012, 17:14   #38
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

I think there is probably life out there but Fermi's Paradox is also compelling. And Fermi came out with this before we knew how common planets are, though it was expected.

And now we have NASA's Curiosity finding possible evidence of methane in Martian soil. Methane isn't proof of life but it is suggestive. Geologic processes can also produce methane.

While I think there probably is extraterrestrial life out there I think it's also possible we will never know for sure.
Old 11-22-2012, 17:16   #39
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Nice, looks like I showed up to the right thread.
Yes.

Also, it is far more efficient to find the answers you seek than to ask folks to "prove" anything, if answers are truly what you seek. It cannot come across but anything but arrogant to DEMAND that someone prove something to you - even if they made an assertion, hypothesis or claim a fact.
\
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:17   #40
czsmithGT

“I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government.”
― Woody Allen
Old 11-22-2012, 17:25   #41
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

listen, I like your POV on somethings, it is often "outside the box" but you have to drop this strange belief(almost an odd crusade) of yours that there are no mathematicians here...and lets be honest, by your own admission, you wouldnt understand that math anyways.

Devildog has a PhD from a very prestigious school in Physics. I have an undergrad in physics and a graduate degree in mathematics (specializing in statistical modeling)from not so prestigious schools. There are many others here as well with engineering and science heavy educations.

If I asked you to do a Lorentz transformation between two points in 4 positions in space-time, you couldnt. Would "showing you the math" that you wouldnt understand change a laymans understanding of what that means?...or do you simply not believe people know what they are talking about?

BTW, you are flat out wrong. YOU may have never seen me post "the math" but I have plenty of times. Plenty of times and no one here who can do the math has ever had a problem with it, just you, who cant do that math.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:28   #42
Reyn
Times Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
The universe is too damn big for just us. For the religious diehards, God ain't stupid enough to not have a few thousand contigency plans. Ya know, for when we don't work out?
If he is all knowing he doesn't need a plan B.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:31   #43
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

On earth there are an estimated 8 million different species.

Of those eight million, only ONE has advanced to the point of managing travel beyond that planet's atmosphere and to it's moon, or to send probes to other planets.

The conditions for life as we know it on earth...it's a very thin slice of statistical odds that got this planet where we are (or God created it )...when we look at these probabilities (earth supporting life * intelligent life * ability to gain interstellar travel) the odds are really really very slim that there are other organisms out there,

but, with something in the region of ....10^22 or 10^23 planets in the known universe, holy crap, the odds even out a bit on the side of other life being out there.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:31   #44
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

BTW, for some math in this thread, I really think the Drake Equation shows that statistical probability rather well.

If you start pluging things in, there is an overlap between the chances of life and some statistical models of what it takes for life to form. To be blunt, if you have the building blocks for life, there is a mathematical model for how many "tries" it would take to produce life. If you look at the number of places, in some cosmological models, that this could happen, that math could over lap.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 11-22-2012 at 17:32..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:39   #45
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
The Okie Corral
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:42   #46
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

I hope so. Otherwise I've cranked out all that ammo for nothing but zombies, and we know how well it works on those.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:46   #47
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
“If it turns out that there is a God...the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever.”
― Woody Allen
Old 11-22-2012, 17:50   #48
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
“If it turns out that there is a God...the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever.”
― Woody Allen
Ah yes, the humanists are so witty.

Seriously, do you admire a man who seduced his underage step-daughter?

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 11-22-2012 at 17:50..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:52   #49
Reyn
Times Up

Quote:
― Woody Allen
Mankind has to place the blame somewhere.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 17:59   #50
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Ah yes, the humanists are so witty.

Seriously, do you admire a man who seduced his underage step-daughter?

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Ha ha you are witty too. Which flawed comedians do you admire? Oh that's right, you have no sense of humor. That must be why you are such a happy guy.

Last edited by czsmithGT; 11-22-2012 at 18:00..