OIF 04-05

Jason you must have young eyes!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 17:42   #322
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

For now, yes. Since I am only 34.
I played with reddots on pistols a bit but never took to them.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14   #323
jwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
This ^

I haven't yet personally experienced a single person having a single problem from too much lube on an AR type rifle. I don't recall reading about even one single person, from verifiable, reliable source, having a problem from too much lube on an AR.

At any rate, too little lube is FAR, FAR more likely to be a problem than too much. If somebody doesn't know how much to use, tell them to err on the side of too much/lots. The BCG is better off dripping wet than dry or even damp/moist.
I've personally had problems with too much lube. Ft Sill Oklahoma. Red clay dried to a fine powder. Stick and clumps to any moisture. All kinds of havoc ensues.
jwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:43   #324
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreck View Post
I've personally had problems with too much lube. Ft Sill Oklahoma. Red clay dried to a fine powder. Stick and clumps to any moisture. All kinds of havoc ensues.
I agree! In Iraq I used graphite powder on my BCG so the sand didn't stick to wet oil...but it made a mess at times.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 11-24-2012 at 05:43..
Old 11-24-2012, 08:29   #325
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreck View Post
I grind my clay to the consistency of cat litter to avoid this issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 14:03   #326
ak103k

Quote:
I've personally had problems with too much lube.
Really?!?! I hear tell its all just made up internet lore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
I agree! In Iraq I used graphite powder on my BCG so the sand didn't stick to wet oil...but it made a mess at times.
This was all the rage in the early to mid 70's, and always seemed to work fine for me. This was my last "issue" can from around 1974. Still has a bit in it too.
Black Rifle Forum
Its a bit messy as a liquid, but once it dries, it doesnt attract anything, and its a decent lube/protectant. Way better than powdered graphite.

I thought it was all but gone until a couple of years back, when I came across it again on the internet. These days, you can find it here....

http://www.drislide.com/

Seems to be the same stuff. If you dont want to run them "wet", this is a good choice.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 17:41   #327
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post

This was all the rage in the early to mid 70's, and always seemed to work fine for me. This was my last "issue" can from around 1974. Still has a bit in it too.
Black Rifle Forum
Its a bit messy as a liquid, but once it dries, it doesnt attract anything, and its a decent lube/protectant. Way better than powdered graphite.

I thought it was all but gone until a couple of years back, when I came across it again on the internet. These days, you can find it here....

Seems to be the same stuff. If you dont want to run them "wet", this is a good choice.
I have used that for years, but would have never though to use it on a gun. It works well for keeping the working parts of my Tractor's snow blade working. Throttle cable too.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25   #328
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:

Black Rifle Forum

Thanks for the info. My days of playing in the sand are over so now I use wet lubes.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07   #329
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
For now, yes. Since I am only 34.
I played with reddots on pistols a bit but never took to them.

I like them best for low light.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34   #330
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Think I'm going with a Troy rear sight.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12   #331
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Think I'm going with a Troy rear sight.
Troy is pricey, but excellent. Good choice.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55   #332
Brian Brazier

I have run almost every rear sight on the market at one time or another, I still have a Troy and DD A1.5 because they are my favorites. The KAC micro is nice, I like that they dont lock in the up position like the Troys, but they only have one aperture and I m not real big on elevation adjusments on my rear sight (unless its a carry handle). The Magpuls are the best value and take the most abuse, but I dont care for the aperture, I wish they were more like the Troy or A2 style. The LMT is great, nbut a little bulky compared to the A1.5, and expensive.
Old 11-29-2012, 13:03   #333
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brazier View Post
I have run almost every rear sight on the market at one time or another, I still have a Troy and DD A1.5 because they are my favorites. The KAC micro is nice, I like that they dont lock in the up position like the Troys, but they only have one aperture and I m not real big on elevation adjusments on my rear sight (unless its a carry handle). The Magpuls are the best value and take the most abuse, but I dont care for the aperture, I wish they were more like the Troy or A2 style. The LMT is great, nbut a little bulky compared to the A1.5, and expensive.
I don't want to see a rear aperture (want a flip up version) on my M4 with an Aimpoit PRO, which one would you suggest , Thanks,DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 13:15   #334
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
I don't want to see a rear aperture (want a flip up version) on my M4 with an Aimpoit PRO, which one would you suggest , Thanks,DOC
Personally, I am a fan of Troys.
Old 11-29-2012, 14:24   #335
Brian Brazier

I would go with the Troy as well, overall I like them the best for flip ups, if Magpul used an A2 aperture they would get my vote, but I dont care for the one they use. The Aimpoint PRO has a riser that makes it a lower 1/3 cowitness so you wont be looking through the sight at the dot, so you could run a DD or any other fixed rear, without looking through the rear sight.
Old 11-29-2012, 15:04   #336
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post

Troy if you want top shelf. However, if you are just going to use them in a back-up role, MBUISís are serviceable.
Old 11-29-2012, 15:34   #337
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Personally, I am a fan of Troys.
To all three of you guys, just ordered the "folding Di-Optic aperture" in the diamond shape. I will shoot iron as often as red dot. Thanks guys............ DOC
Old 11-29-2012, 15:39   #338
ak103k

I dont know that Id call Troy top shelf. I have a set that came on my M&P15, and they are not near as well made as the set of GG&G BUIS I have on my one Armalite.

The Troys I have, have a lot of play in them when they are deployed, and dont seem to be as precise as the GG&G's.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 15:46   #339
scccdoc

Quote:
I dont know that Id call Troy top shelf. I have a set that came on my M&P15, and they are not near as well made as the set of GG&G BUIS I have on my one Armalite.

The Troys I have, have a lot of play in them when they are deployed, and dont seem to be as precise as the GG&G's.
Too late, ordered! Really like the idea of the diamond................ DOC
Old 11-29-2012, 19:46   #340
Brian Brazier

I have never tired the GG&G but all my Troys have been solid with no play, I would contact Troy, they have great CS.