Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 18:26   #301
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Ok, ok! It was a terrible example!

I liked the previous one a lot better, but the guy I was responding to seemed to have ignored it. I'll repeat it here, I guess:

If I ask you to build a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 100 meters away, that's something we know how to do.

If I then ask for a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 10 miles away... well, that's an engineering challenge, but fundamentally all it would take is a really really big speaker and some good waveguide design.

If I ask for a speaker that will let me hear you on the Moon... it can't be done. Sound physically does not work that way. No amount of can-do attitude can make it happen.

Some limitations are physics. Some are engineering. Sometimes we're confused about which is which. But there *are* some fundamental physics limitations that cannot be overcome simply by building better machines.

Now I don't even have a high school diploma, but you gotta realize I know a thing or two about transducers. You don't NEED a transducer to generate sound. You need a transducer to ...uh, transduce from electrical energy to particle motion.

Of course, the frequency of sounds that would be reproducible on the moon would be very limited, but if a medium can transmit energy for that wavelength, sound will and can occur.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 18:35   #302
RonS

I'd rather the human race became extinct because we tried exploring the universe and found something we couldn't handle that have it become extinct because we confined ourselves to one planet out of cowardice, shortsightedness and lack of ambition.

The human race needs to get off its ass and explore. I can see smoke from my neighbors chimney, it's time to move on.
Old 11-27-2012, 18:38   #303
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I'd rather the human race became extinct because we tried exploring the universe and found something we couldn't handle that have it become extinct because we confined ourselves to one planet out of cowardice, shortsightedness and lack of ambition.

The human race needs to get off its ass and explore. I can see smoke from my neighbors chimney, it's time to move on.
I totally agree. With the scared mentality we would be still stuck in the caves, fearful of the lions, tigers, and bears that might be waiting for us. And saying, how about we solve the problems in our cave tribe first, before we go explore the open lands.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 18:40   #304
inthefrey
Moved on...

Quote:

I liked the previous one a lot better, but the guy I was responding to seemed to have ignored it. I'll repeat it here, I guess:

If I ask you to build a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 100 meters away, that's something we know how to do.

If I then ask for a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 10 miles away... well, that's an engineering challenge, but fundamentally all it would take is a really really big speaker and some good waveguide design.

If I ask for a speaker that will let me hear you on the Moon... it can't be done. Sound physically does not work that way. No amount of can-do attitude can make it happen.

Some limitations are physics. Some are engineering. Sometimes we're confused about which is which. But there *are* some fundamental physics limitations that cannot be overcome simply by building better machines.
I didn't ignore it! I thought it was an excellent example or challenge if you will.

On an science/physics/engineering note: I read where we've overcome the need to cryo-freeze a MASER to get it to work - Basically room-temp, solid-state MASER.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19281566

I also read where you guys are planning the "next" machine, the "Higgs Factory", and that funding for it will be a little tough in this economy.

Good luck!
inthefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 18:42   #305
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
A universe full of matter can be open (expand forever), closed (expand, stop, collapse (Big Crunch)), or flat (expand, slow down, but never quite stop).

The evidence now supports that our universe is a flat universe. Lawrence Krass' original 2009 "A Universe from Nothing" lecture has been pulled down from YouTube, but he followed it up with a book, and here is a later lecture on it (not sure why the player is not embedding right now).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CO&h...&v=YUe0_4rdj0U

-ArtificialGrape

AG,
Are you talking about this one?

That is weird, I can't find the original version of it that I had bookmarked either. Not sure why they would remove that. It had a ton of views.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 18:50   #306
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
AG,
Are you talking about this one?
'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss - YouTube

That is weird, I can't find the original version of it that I had bookmarked either. Not sure why they would remove that. It had a ton of views.
Yes, cool, thanks. The location I had bookmarked now shows "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim"

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 22:06   #307
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Now I don't even have a high school diploma, but you gotta realize I know a thing or two about transducers. You don't NEED a transducer to generate sound. You need a transducer to ...uh, transduce from electrical energy to particle motion.

Of course, the frequency of sounds that would be reproducible on the moon would be very limited, but if a medium can transmit energy for that wavelength, sound will and can occur.
I need to trandsduece a sound... I don't know about the waves, or the length, but I'm pretty sure they taper off at one end. There are trillions of particles involved, and they overwhelmingly constitute the nature of this post.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15   #308
mrstrau

In my opinion there has to be other life. I think about this all the time...everytime I worry about money or my job or the future...in the end it's all sort of insignificant in the face of it all..but at the same time, it's all we've got, so we might as well do something.

We float around on a speck of sand traveling thousands of miles per hour around a sun, which is just one of billions of other stars in the universe. I think its something like the closest star to us is 16.8 Billion light years away from us. That means we'd have to travel for 16.8 billion years, AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT, to get there. I'm not a scientist, or a space travel expert, but I'm pretty sure its near impossible, since its damn difficult to get anything with any amount of mass to travel that fast. Then there is the whole issue of a Human being's life span...

We are a part of just one galaxy that is a part of millions of others which make up the universe..which is probably apart of some other crazy ****. If we can study certain "laws" that seem to act the same way in our galaxy, such as what carbon based life forms need to survive, i.e. food, water, shelter, etc, then its very possible that other life forms out there are also carbon based, and may even look something like us.

Who knows? That's the beauty of it all. I may be an idealist, but if human beings started worrying less about money and who believes in what god and which country has the most stuff, and started worrying about humanity as a whole, pooling the worlds resources, maybe one day we could find out whats out there.

But we're irrational and violent. Oh well, gives me a reason to carry a gun.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57   #309
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstrau View Post
In my opinion there has to be other life. I think about this all the time...everytime I worry about money or my job or the future...in the end it's all sort of insignificant in the face of it all..but at the same time, it's all we've got, so we might as well do something.

We float around on a speck of sand traveling thousands of miles per hour around a sun, which is just one of billions of other stars in the universe. I think its something like the closest star to us is 16.8 Billion light years away from us. That means we'd have to travel for 16.8 billion years, AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT, to get there. I'm not a scientist, or a space travel expert, but I'm pretty sure its near impossible, since its damn difficult to get anything with any amount of mass to travel that fast. Then there is the whole issue of a Human being's life span...

We are a part of just one galaxy that is a part of millions of others which make up the universe..which is probably apart of some other crazy ****. If we can study certain "laws" that seem to act the same way in our galaxy, such as what carbon based life forms need to survive, i.e. food, water, shelter, etc, then its very possible that other life forms out there are also carbon based, and may even look something like us.

Who knows? That's the beauty of it all. I may be an idealist, but if human beings started worrying less about money and who believes in what god and which country has the most stuff, and started worrying about humanity as a whole, pooling the worlds resources, maybe one day we could find out whats out there.

But we're irrational and violent. Oh well, gives me a reason to carry a gun.
There is up to a septillion stars, billion is a drop in the bucket.

The closest star is 4.3 light years away (four point three)

BTW, it is worrying about money and who has the most stuff that has created societies that can start to understand this stuff. I will never understand how people (Americians in particular) dont get this.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12   #310
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
There is up to a septillion stars, billion is a drop in the bucket.

The closest star is 4.3 light years away (four point three)

BTW, it is worrying about money and who has the most stuff that has created societies that can start to understand this stuff. I will never understand how people (Americians in particular) dont get this.

Right, as I said, I'm not a scientist or an expert on the Universe, I'm a history geek instead. Still, 4.3 light years away is ridiculously far away, and I'm not sure if it's possible we even are able to travel that far in our lifetime.

And I understand it would take millions in research and development, as well as many years, to reach a stage where we are capable of that level of "Space Exploration".

But when you consider the challenges our planet faces: failing global economy, dwindling finite resources, damage to our planet caused by pollution and economic development, I sometimes wish we would worry more about "humanity" rather than just America, or Britain, or Botswana, or whatever.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if we were more in this together, we may reach that stage much faster. Stephen Hawking himself said we as a species will probably have to expand outward into space in the next 1,000 years or we're pretty much screwed.

But again, I'm a bit of an Idealist I suppose.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22   #311
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Right, as I said, I'm not a scientist or an expert on the Universe, I'm a history geek instead. Still, 4.3 light years away is ridiculously far away, and I'm not sure if it's possible we even are able to travel that far in our lifetime.

And I understand it would take millions in research and development, as well as many years, to reach a stage where we are capable of that level of "Space Exploration".

But when you consider the challenges our planet faces: failing global economy, dwindling finite resources, damage to our planet caused by pollution and economic development, I sometimes wish we would worry more about "humanity" rather than just America, or Britain, or Botswana, or whatever.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if we were more in this together, we may reach that stage much faster. Stephen Hawking himself said we as a species will probably have to expand outward into space in the next 1,000 years or we're pretty much screwed.

But again, I'm a bit of an Idealist I suppose.
I think you are flat out wrong.

What holds us back is people who dont add much draining the resources (be they real or intellectual) of those who do great things.

Idealism destroys/keeps from every happenening, human advances while greed marches us forward.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37   #312
mrstrau

Quote:
What holds us back is people who dont add much draining the resources (be they real or intellectual) of those who do great things.
Your grammar is confusing here; I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Either way, there is no such thing as absolute truth, especially when it comes to the larger pictures such as the global socioeconomic crisis or space exploration.

We are but mere mortals.

Anyway, at the risk of getting into an argument on the internet, which can degenerate into HERPA DERPA DERP, I will agree to disagree, if that's okay with you.

Best,
mrstrau
Old 11-28-2012, 13:13   #313
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Your grammar is confusing here; I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Either way, there is no such thing as absolute truth, especially when it comes to the larger pictures such as the global socioeconomic crisis or space exploration.

We are but mere mortals.

Anyway, at the risk of getting into an argument on the internet, which can degenerate into HERPA DERPA DERP, I will agree to disagree, if that's okay with you.

Best,
mrstrau
People who produce, being forced to take care of those who WONT, while the government collects a vig and sets the rules for themselves holds us back more than anything else.

You cant raise the bottom by placing a cap on the top. Not all mortals are the same.

Last edited by Rabbi; 11-28-2012 at 13:14..
Old 11-28-2012, 14:50   #314
475-480

Exactly.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
If he is all knowing he doesn't need a plan B.
475-480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 16:04   #315
Glocksanity

Quote:
Not all mortals are the same.
That's what I have been trying to say. Some are Reptilian! And those Reptilians are spiritually regressive, and that is what is holding humanity back!!

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:25   #316
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
That's what I have been trying to say. Some are Reptilian! And those Reptilians are spiritually regressive, and that is what is holding humanity back!!
I ate unicorn for lunch today. By tomorrow I shall lay pipe made of pure glitter wrapped in lemon scented doilies.

Onward to Camelot!

Old 11-29-2012, 00:39   #317
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:

I liked the previous one a lot better, but the guy I was responding to seemed to have ignored it. I'll repeat it here, I guess...

I didn't ignore it. I understood it and agreed.

As to the shovel on Mars, my greater point was that we'd already been there and did that—twice. *

Now, I made my point a bit playfully, so as to have a little fun with you, because I'd assumed that was still possible.

In any case, were I to assign you a nickname, I wouldn't choose WrongwayWon...

--Ray

* For a lander at the poles, I'd send an auger; unless you don't think that's possible!
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24   #318
RayB
Retired Member

Particles Acting Like Waves...

Do individual light particles—i.e., photons—have a spin to them?

In other words, if I could capture individual photons coming towards me, with some kind of advanced imaging system, would I detect a spin on each one, like a bullet fired from a rifled barrel, or a well-thrown pass with a football?

Would this observed spin be consistently clockwise from my point of view, or counter clockwise?

--Ray
Old 11-30-2012, 00:32   #319
17119jfkioe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post

In other words, if I could capture individual photons coming towards me, with some kind of advanced imaging system, would I detect a spin on each one, like a bullet fired from a rifled barrel, or a well-thrown pass with a football?

Would this observed spin be consistently clockwise from my point of view, or counter clockwise?

--Ray
They do spin a little. Weird stuff

thou shalt not walk around with doo doo on thy tallywacker.

Last edited by 17119jfkioe; 11-30-2012 at 00:34..
17119jfkioe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 00:51   #320
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Stephen Hawking himself said we as a species will probably have to expand outward into space in the next 1,000 years or we're pretty much screwed.
In before someone comes in and tries to prove Stephen Hawking wrong.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:15   #321
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17119jfkioe View Post
They do spin a little. Weird stuff

Okay, but do they always spin like a bullet fired from a rifled barrel, with say, a right-hand or left-hand twist?

--Ray
Old 12-01-2012, 17:17   #322
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
They "have spin" in the sense that they have quantum angular momentum.

They don't "have spin" in the sense that they're not "spinning."

Turns out that on the quantum level, a thing can have angular momentum even if it doesn't have a physical size.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:12   #323
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
They "have spin" in the sense that they have quantum angular momentum.

They don't "have spin" in the sense that they're not "spinning."

Turns out that on the quantum level, a thing can have angular momentum even if it doesn't have a physical size.

Is there a direction to that angular momentum, say, like a right-hand twist on an incoming bullet? Or is it random?

--Ray
Old 12-11-2012, 20:09   #324
dwhite53

Somewhere, across untold billions of light years of space, on another gun forum, the members are discussing the same thing.

All the Best,
D. White
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:40   #325
Johnspark
Grumpy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
Somewhere, across untold billions of light years of space, on another gun forum, the members are discussing the same thing.

All the Best,
D. White
Nope, they're still stuck between 9mm and .45.

We, on the other hand, have learned to rise above our latent cro magnon instincts and are firmly in agreement on the fact that...wait what? Did someone just yell "Freebird" again.

Damn it, I was on a roll too!

Last edited by Johnspark; 12-11-2012 at 20:42..
Johnspark is online now   Reply With Quote