Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2012, 19:03   #1
NRA UR2

Glock 36

I intend to carry the 36 in an IWB holster of some sort and would like some advice from members on their preferences in this area.Also how many extra mags should I carry to feel safe in that regard? How many break in rounds are recommended, and what would be the best possible JHP(ie bullet weight) for this particular lightweight gun? Thanks for the advice.

NRA UR2--NRA Benefactor member
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51   #2
jdwest1978

I carry the same. I am not affiliated, but check out highnoonholsters.com. I carry one extra and a box of ammo in my vehicle. The G36 can be a little difficult. It kind of depends. Some people have had issues and others haven't. Mine had issues for the first couple hundred rounds. A good detail field strip and it has been good since. I carry 230g Speer Gold Dots because that's what my department issues. Hope this helps. There is a TON of useful info on this site. Do a search and reading for days will turn up.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:13   #3
WinterWizard

I have been carrying a G36 for the past year, since Wisconsin's conceal carry went into effect.

I also use a High Noon Holster - the Mr. Softie model. It was about $30 and has held up most excellently. It's also a very safe holster because you never need to unholster your weapon. If you are disarming for any reason, the whole holster comes out with the gun in it, therefore never exposing the trigger, greatly reducing the chance of a negligent discharge, most of which occur when drawing or holstering your weapon.

As far as bullet types go. I tend to stick with a 200gr +P or a 230gr +P. I have carried Speer Gold Dot 200 gr. +P, Hornady Tap 200gr +P and currently carry Winchester Ranger-T 230gr +P. It's my opinion to stay away from the lighter, faster 185gr and 165gr bullets. While they are definitely faster, the lower bullet weight reduces the sectional density, which affects penetration. It's simply not worth it to me. A 200gr +P or 230gr +P at 900-1000 fps (out of the 3.78" G36 barrel) is more than effective.

I have not had any problem with any ammo I have fed my G36. Zero malfunctions in over a 1,000 rounds. But make sure to test, I'd say, at least 50 rounds of your designated carry ammo before trusting your life with it. And keep that firing pin channel, extractor and extractor channel clean. I take apart my slide and thoroughly clean it every 200-300 rounds. And of course I clean after every range session, even if I've only fired 20 rounds. It's a carry gun. You can never be too anal about cleaning it.

Good luck.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 11-29-2012 at 03:17..
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34   #4
NRA UR2

Thank You very much to those members who responded to my request for suggestions concerning carrying my Glock 36. I have several High Noon rigs I use in 5 of my Various Smith J-frames. Right now my favorite is a 340PD Scandium/Titanium from which I shoot 158gr +P JHP's...quite a bit of kick from such a light piece.. carry it in a hand sewn piece of jean material which eliminates print but allows me to carry it in my front pocket. Its reinforced in the cylinder area and fits tightly around the piece so that when withdrawn the holster comes out with the gun to eliminate unnecessary trigger contact. Occasionally I carry The Sig P239 in 357 Sig. Its considered a hideout piece but it weighs an arm and a leg more than the Airweights. Hence I said "occasionally". NOT Good. I hope to remedy this light vs heavy problem with my 36. I've always liked shooting 45's and I'm almost convinced to go with the heavier bullets as I'd rather plow the field than seed the grass. But first, I'll buy some +P230's and compare them to regular 230's JHP I guess I,m getting a little long winded so will make one more request of you gentlemen. All of my carries are Crimson Traced. Have either of you CT'd your 36 and if so what are your thoughts on this addition. Also is there a thin rubber grip sleeve you use in warm weather when your hands are sweatty?

Thanks, NRA Benefactor
Old 11-29-2012, 05:59   #5
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
Thank You very much to those members who responded to my request for suggestions concerning carrying my Glock 36. I have several High Noon rigs I use in 5 of my Various Smith J-frames. Right now my favorite is a 340PD Scandium/Titanium from which I shoot 158gr +P JHP's...quite a bit of kick from such a light piece.. carry it in a hand sewn piece of jean material which eliminates print but allows me to carry it in my front pocket. Its reinforced in the cylinder area and fits tightly around the piece so that when withdrawn the holster comes out with the gun to eliminate unnecessary trigger contact. Occasionally I carry The Sig P239 in 357 Sig. Its considered a hideout piece but it weighs an arm and a leg more than the Airweights. Hence I said "occasionally". NOT Good. I hope to remedy this light vs heavy problem with my 36. I've always liked shooting 45's and I'm almost convinced to go with the heavier bullets as I'd rather plow the field than seed the grass. But first, I'll buy some +P230's and compare them to regular 230's JHP I guess I,m getting a little long winded so will make one more request of you gentlemen. All of my carries are Crimson Traced. Have either of you CT'd your 36 and if so what are your thoughts on this addition. Also is there a thin rubber grip sleeve you use in warm weather when your hands are sweatty?

Thanks, NRA Benefactor
Never used a laser on any gun. I am a night sights kind of guy. I have XS Big Dots on my G36. I love them. I personally never saw the need for a laser. Any defensive shooting is going to be at 20 feet or less, most likely 10 feet or less. If you need a laser to make at hit at that range, you've got problems. Heck, one doesn't even need sights to put a few bullets into center mass as 10 feet. Plus a laser is just another thing to break, make the gun bulkier and run out of battery juice. The G36 was designed to be thin, obviously. I wouldn't want to ruin that at all.

Never used a grip sleeve either for that same reason. Never had a problem losing my grip.

If you don't have the Pearce +O grip extension for your mags, I highly recommend them. They only add 3/8", provide room for your pinky finger on the grip and allow a better grip to help prevent that thin, little .45 from squirming under fire. But I've never had that issue. .45 acp is a large bullet, but also a low-pressure round. I've always found it to be pretty soft-shooting. Some +P rounds can get kinda stout, but you're not going to be shooting hundreds of them anyway. And in a defensive shooting, you aren't going to be gripping the gun like a weakling, I'd imagine. You'll probably have the death grip on it.
Old 12-18-2012, 14:09   #6
FALCONS

Also might look into a new holster called Versa Carry.......very easy to use and conceal the 36.
Like others I use the XS Big dot up front and find it the best sight for my aged eyes.....Here in Georgia we all carry and have for years so its a mantra that range practice and the right holster and ammo fits your needs as well as your weapon.
I carry one spare mag +1 bottom.

Happy Holidays.
Old 01-02-2013, 18:40   #7
barta
This is Barta!

One thing to consider, if you use the Pierce +1 extensions, magazine exchanges take a little more mechanics. I noticed this a couple of weeks ago on the range. My hand was keeping the mag from dropping free and I had to sling it out to the side or rip it out with my left hand before reloading. It took a little more thinking under stress and added some time to my reloads.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:16   #8
Chimo

I have been carrying a G36 for a while now. I also carry one extra mag. I have a IWB Winthrop.com holster and it fits perfect against me. Never had an issue with it Andy am comming up on 1000 rounds thru it.