Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2012, 23:12   #1
adamsoa

New Glock 20

I just purchased my first Glock and I'm now addicted. I bought a Glock 20. I've been shooting quite a bit and I'm having a blast. My reloading dies should be here Monday and I have a bit of brass to work with.

I have a few questions I hope that you can help me with.

I would like to get a 6 inch barrel. I use this gun for the my primary carry but I will also hunt with it.
I have been looking at a lone wolf barrel, they seem like they are pretty good.

I would also would like to add a good red dot sight. Maybe a Trijicon RMR Sight--or another similar sight. I want to have a slide milled to accept the site. I've looked at one source tactical to get one not sure if anyone else does the modifications.

I appreciate any suggestions and I'm excited to learn more.

Andy

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
adamsoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15   #2
jimsmith1941

Be aware that you may not be able to shoot lead from a L/W barrel.

I bought one about 2 yrs ago as I had a "wild hair" to buy a long slide from them.

I never did and tried recently to shoot some lead reloads but they would not chamber ( would chamber in my 1006 as well as my 610 which is a lot "tighter" than my1006 ).

I have seen where other people have had the same problem and have sent it back to L/W. When I called L/W, they wanted $30.00 + some "dummy" reloads so they could open the barrel + about another $3.00 for return shipping.

With fmj, the barrel is accurate and seems to be more accurate that the stock barrel in my 20.

I have also read that the barrels are manuf outside the US but do not know if this is true. Also, the chamber support @ the ramp appears to be not as tight on current barrels as with old ones.

If I had it to do over again, I would look at other barrels such as KKM storm lake or ect.

If you want a sight devoted to the 10mm, you would be flooded with responses to this - !0mm-firearms.com

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hope you enjoy your 20.
jimsmith1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44   #3
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith1941 View Post
Be aware that you may not be able to shoot lead from a L/W barrel.

I bought one about 2 yrs ago as I had a "wild hair" to buy a long slide from them.

I never did and tried recently to shoot some lead reloads but they would not chamber ( would chamber in my 1006 as well as my 610 which is a lot "tighter" than my1006 ).

I have seen where other people have had the same problem and have sent it back to L/W. When I called L/W, they wanted $30.00 + some "dummy" reloads so they could open the barrel + about another $3.00 for return shipping.

With fmj, the barrel is accurate and seems to be more accurate that the stock barrel in my 20.

I have also read that the barrels are manuf outside the US but do not know if this is true. Also, the chamber support @ the ramp appears to be not as tight on current barrels as with old ones.

If I had it to do over again, I would look at other barrels such as KKM storm lake or ect.

If you want a sight devoted to the 10mm, you would be flooded with responses to this - !0mm-firearms.com

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hope you enjoy your 20.
As Jim Smith indicates with LWD barrels you may want to read this thread.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663

It is quite long,18 or something pages but it should give you a flavor of the problem and attitude of the company,too aid in your decision. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03   #4
ModGlock17

I had a LWD 6". All sort of ejection, chambering problems. Simply unreliable.

I now have a KKM 6". Awesome! Fully reliable for thousands of rounds.

The best for some people to learn is to make mistake on their own. I did.

Like SJ indicated, there has been tons of postings on this issue the last 2-3 yrs. Take time and read them through, would be my suggestion.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38   #5
edporch

I bought a Storm Lake 6.02" barrel for my Glock 20 in October.
I'm happy with it, and would suggest that you not rule them out.

My reasons for buying it were:
1. Better chamber support
2. Tighter tolerances for potentially better accuracy
3. Increased muzzle velocity with off the shelf ammo, as well as getting the most out of doing my own loads.

-The improved chamber support was obvious right out of the box when I dropped a cartridge into the chamber.
Especially in the area where the ramp transitions into the chamber, and also in how much less "slop" in the chamber.

-The Storm Lake barrel has measurably tighter tolerances in how it fits into the slide.
I found this when I took measurements from both barrels.

-Before buying, I had seen videos of chronoed range tests that convinced me of increased muzzle velocity and accuracy from the Storm lake barrel vs the stock barrel.

-Out of the box:
The barrel was physically a drop in fit.

Function wise, it would sometimes jam with a cartridge half way chambered.

It also threw the brass much harder, which indicated to me the longer barrel was increasing the muzzle velocity.

-Minor Tweaks for reliable function:

1. Polished the ramp and chamber a little.

2. SLIGHTLY rounded the sharp edge where the ramp transitioned into the chamber.

3. Replaced the stock guide rod and spring with a ISMI Stainless Captured Guide Rod with a 22 pound spring.

It NOW works flawlessly, with the best chamber support I can get, has increased muzzle velocity, and drops the spent brass close to me.

I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

-Additionally:
I polished the barrel to a semi-mirror finish, and did a little polishing to the sides of the outside of the chamber area..

This was suggested by another forum member to reduce wear and give better smoothness of operation.
SAF Life Member
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:05   #6
arushus
Biggest Member

Not entirely positive but I do believe that opticsplanet.com sells the burris fastfire III with a mount specifically for a Glock.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 20:19   #7
blastfact

I have a LW 5.15" barrel in my Gen3 G20. And it's fantastic! My pistol has never shot one round with it's OEM barrel.

But I did detail the LW before I shot it. I polished the feed ramp and put a fast lap on the chamber and barrel. I broke the pistol in on some full house 10mm I had loaded up years ago for my early,,, worthless,,, can't wait to break and go home DE. I had two jam's in the first mag. And nothing since. It should have been a option from Glock IMHO. And the brass. It always looks great!

My 5.15" LW is great. After it proved to me it was for real. I polished the barrel and chamber a tad on the outside. Damn G20 has some bling.

The 10 Ring

I can't weight to buy a LW 6" tube for my pistol.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 23:26   #8
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Not entirely positive but I do believe that opticsplanet.com sells the burris fastfire III with a mount specifically for a Glock.
Ive read that the Burris FF mounts "say" they are for "all models" but that apparently doesn't include large frame Glocks...
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 11-30-2012 at 23:26..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 23:37   #9
JimIsland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I have a LW 5.15" barrel in my Gen3 G20. And it's fantastic! My pistol has never shot one round with it's OEM barrel.

But I did detail the LW before I shot it. I polished the feed ramp and put a fast lap on the chamber and barrel. I broke the pistol in on some full house 10mm I had loaded up years ago for my early,,, worthless,,, can't wait to break and go home DE. I had two jam's in the first mag. And nothing since. It should have been a option from Glock IMHO. And the brass. It always looks great!

My 5.15" LW is great. After it proved to me it was for real. I polished the barrel and chamber a tad on the outside. Damn G20 has some bling.

The 10 Ring

I can't weight to buy a LW 6" tube for my pistol.
"fast lap, polish this, polish that....screw that. I want to drop a barrel in and shoot my gun. Yes, I have one in my G20 and it sux and no I'm not going to call them and ask them to "fix it". I'm throwing it in the trash and starting over. Glad yours worked for you.

Last edited by JimIsland; 11-30-2012 at 23:46..
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 23:43   #10
JimIsland

Sorry OP, got side tracked.......What Gen do you have? Personally if it's a Gen 3, I would leave it alone and shoot it. After shooting some stout stuff, look at your casings.

If you have a Gen 2 as I do, the stock barrel lacks enough support to shoot "hot" 10mm ammo.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:03   #11
adamsoa

Its a gen 4. I wanted to look for a 6 inch barrel for hunting purposes though. I appreciate all of the comments so far. Thank you!
adamsoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17   #12
JimIsland

Gen 4 you are good to go. You can shoot anything you want with confidence. Where did you find a Gen 4? Nice find!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 13:47   #13
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIsland View Post
"fast lap, polish this, polish that....screw that. I want to drop a barrel in and shoot my gun. Yes, I have one in my G20 and it sux and no I'm not going to call them and ask them to "fix it". I'm throwing it in the trash and starting over. Glad yours worked for you.
I will pay for shipping if you will send it to me.
Old 12-01-2012, 15:52   #14
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIsland View Post
I dunno which it is.. Based on the bold type above are you

A) lying
B) stupid
C) both

(Nobody just throws a $100+ barrel in the garbage)

Last edited by RYT 2BER; 12-01-2012 at 15:54..
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:27   #15
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I dunno which it is.. Based on the bold type above are you

A) lying
B) stupid
C) both

(Nobody just throws a $100+ barrel in the garbage)

He probably means he just sold it off as opposed to working with it
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 12-01-2012 at 20:27..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:20   #16
bac1023

and congrats on the G20.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:04   #17
blastfact

JimIsland

I may be anal about my firearms. I was taught as a child to slug out a barrel and pour a chamber cast with Cerrosafe. Be it a new barrel, new pistol, rifle or shot gun. I want to know exactly what I have. Then detail what I want too. You would be surprised how many bad barrels ship with new guns. And even more surprised how many barrels are just a hour away from being match grade.

I will still pay shipping for your junk LWB.
Old 12-11-2012, 22:27   #18
JimIsland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
JimIsland

I may be anal about my firearms. I was taught as a child to slug out a barrel and pour a chamber cast with Cerrosafe. Be it a new barrel, new pistol, rifle or shot gun. I want to know exactly what I have. Then detail what I want too. You would be surprised how many bad barrels ship with new guns. And even more surprised how many barrels are just a hour away from being match grade.

I will still pay shipping for your junk LWB.
Sorry...I got very frustrated when I took it to the range for the first time and couldn't get 6 rounds through it without a FTF. Mind you this G20 has a gazillion rounds through it and maybe had 2 or 3 FTF's. I also take very good care of all my firearms and don't feel you should have to tinker with an expensive barrel to run right. Other company's have drop in barrels that run properly so it isn't asking much IMO. No biggie...I'll buy a KKM or new Glock barrel and move on.
Old 12-11-2012, 22:59   #19
Jay/g20

Congrats on the G20 gen4. My first Glock was a G20 gen3 . I came here with the very same question on which drop-in barrel to purchase, or do I even really need one. I read every comment and boy the guys here made my decision on a barrel tough. Lonewolf, Bar-sto, StormLake, KKM Precision and the original factory barrel. The only way for me to make a educated decision was to call all the places listed above except for Glock. Well they all were great people but one just stuck out and appealed to me. KKM Precision 6" drop-in. I called KKM and spoke with Kevin and he took the time to explain their product. I will say KKM talks the talk and walks the walk. I have ran this barrel for a year now and I couldn't be any happier. Just to say I returned to KKM for a G35 drop-in and put it in a new gen4 G35. I hope I have this right but I believe I spoke with Luke. I have ran this barrel for 2 weeks now and I love it. Both barrels have ran Nosler,PowerBond, Hornady xtp, Winchester,Berry's. It doesn't matter what you put in the pipe KKM runs with it. Take your time and do listen to all the good people in here,weight it out and make an informed decision, make some calls to get answers from the people that make the product.
p.s. I will be watching this thread ...cause I've been peeking at the Red Dot sights...I just don't know what to think....
Jay/g20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47   #20
JimIsland

Jay, that's awesome. I've read great things about the KKM as well. If my G20 wasn't a Gen2 with a barrel that lacks chamber support, I would probably leave it alone. Check out the XS Big dot night sights. They work great on a G20 for me and contrary to what some believe, they are fairly accurate when plinking as well. They get on target QUICK!