Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-24-2012, 13:03   #326
ak103k

Quote:
I've personally had problems with too much lube.
Really?!?! I hear tell its all just made up internet lore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
I agree! In Iraq I used graphite powder on my BCG so the sand didn't stick to wet oil...but it made a mess at times.
This was all the rage in the early to mid 70's, and always seemed to work fine for me. This was my last "issue" can from around 1974. Still has a bit in it too.
Black Rifle Forum
Its a bit messy as a liquid, but once it dries, it doesnt attract anything, and its a decent lube/protectant. Way better than powdered graphite.

I thought it was all but gone until a couple of years back, when I came across it again on the internet. These days, you can find it here....

http://www.drislide.com/

Seems to be the same stuff. If you dont want to run them "wet", this is a good choice.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 16:41   #327
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post

This was all the rage in the early to mid 70's, and always seemed to work fine for me. This was my last "issue" can from around 1974. Still has a bit in it too.
Black Rifle Forum
Its a bit messy as a liquid, but once it dries, it doesnt attract anything, and its a decent lube/protectant. Way better than powdered graphite.

I thought it was all but gone until a couple of years back, when I came across it again on the internet. These days, you can find it here....

Seems to be the same stuff. If you dont want to run them "wet", this is a good choice.
I have used that for years, but would have never though to use it on a gun. It works well for keeping the working parts of my Tractor's snow blade working. Throttle cable too.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25   #328
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:

Black Rifle Forum

Thanks for the info. My days of playing in the sand are over so now I use wet lubes.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07   #329
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
For now, yes. Since I am only 34.
I played with reddots on pistols a bit but never took to them.

I like them best for low light.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34   #330
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Think I'm going with a Troy rear sight.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12   #331
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Think I'm going with a Troy rear sight.
Troy is pricey, but excellent. Good choice.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55   #332
Brian Brazier

I have run almost every rear sight on the market at one time or another, I still have a Troy and DD A1.5 because they are my favorites. The KAC micro is nice, I like that they dont lock in the up position like the Troys, but they only have one aperture and I m not real big on elevation adjusments on my rear sight (unless its a carry handle). The Magpuls are the best value and take the most abuse, but I dont care for the aperture, I wish they were more like the Troy or A2 style. The LMT is great, nbut a little bulky compared to the A1.5, and expensive.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:03   #333
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brazier View Post
I have run almost every rear sight on the market at one time or another, I still have a Troy and DD A1.5 because they are my favorites. The KAC micro is nice, I like that they dont lock in the up position like the Troys, but they only have one aperture and I m not real big on elevation adjusments on my rear sight (unless its a carry handle). The Magpuls are the best value and take the most abuse, but I dont care for the aperture, I wish they were more like the Troy or A2 style. The LMT is great, nbut a little bulky compared to the A1.5, and expensive.
I don't want to see a rear aperture (want a flip up version) on my M4 with an Aimpoit PRO, which one would you suggest , Thanks,DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:15   #334
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
I don't want to see a rear aperture (want a flip up version) on my M4 with an Aimpoit PRO, which one would you suggest , Thanks,DOC
Personally, I am a fan of Troys.
Old 11-29-2012, 13:24   #335
Brian Brazier

I would go with the Troy as well, overall I like them the best for flip ups, if Magpul used an A2 aperture they would get my vote, but I dont care for the one they use. The Aimpoint PRO has a riser that makes it a lower 1/3 cowitness so you wont be looking through the sight at the dot, so you could run a DD or any other fixed rear, without looking through the rear sight.
Old 11-29-2012, 14:04   #336
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post

Troy if you want top shelf. However, if you are just going to use them in a back-up role, MBUISís are serviceable.
Old 11-29-2012, 14:34   #337
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Personally, I am a fan of Troys.
To all three of you guys, just ordered the "folding Di-Optic aperture" in the diamond shape. I will shoot iron as often as red dot. Thanks guys............ DOC
Old 11-29-2012, 14:39   #338
ak103k

I dont know that Id call Troy top shelf. I have a set that came on my M&P15, and they are not near as well made as the set of GG&G BUIS I have on my one Armalite.

The Troys I have, have a lot of play in them when they are deployed, and dont seem to be as precise as the GG&G's.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 11-29-2012, 14:46   #339
scccdoc

Quote:
I dont know that Id call Troy top shelf. I have a set that came on my M&P15, and they are not near as well made as the set of GG&G BUIS I have on my one Armalite.

The Troys I have, have a lot of play in them when they are deployed, and dont seem to be as precise as the GG&G's.
Too late, ordered! Really like the idea of the diamond................ DOC
Old 11-29-2012, 18:46   #340
Brian Brazier

I have never tired the GG&G but all my Troys have been solid with no play, I would contact Troy, they have great CS.
Old 11-29-2012, 19:03   #341
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I hear nothing but good things about the Troy site.

I have a Troy rear folding battesight coming tomorrow. $80 on primary arms over the weekend. (plus $10 to ship)

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-29-2012 at 19:03..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 19:22   #342
ak103k

I suppose I could have got a bad set of Troys. The set I have are the only set Ive used, and they came with the gun. Maybe they are a cheaper version on the S&W guns? I dont know.

The GG&G's are what I have to compare them too, and Troys just dont seem (to me anyways) as well made.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 11-30-2012, 14:53   #343
D4RWlN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I hear nothing but good things about the Troy site.

I have a Troy rear folding battesight coming tomorrow. $80 on primary arms over the weekend. (plus $10 to ship)
I believe Stickman has posted have some fall apart on him. All the Troys I've had have been fine. I hated the di-optic troys though. I prefer KAC micros. The LWRC skirmish sights look very nice as well. I'm looking forward to trying a set off.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32   #344
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Do the Troy folding rear sights lock in after the are up?, or do the push down like the Magpul BUIS do?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41   #345
ak103k

They lock in "sort of". They dont lock up tight, and have a good bit of play, mostly fore and aft, when you wiggle them, or at least mine do.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 12-01-2012, 13:20   #346
CW Mock

I shoot irons a lot on my Colt 6720. I dumped the Matech for a Troy rear folder.

It's a patrol rifle, and has an Aimpoint T1 micro, but I have more fun shooting iron sights. The Troys have been fine for the shooting I do (0-300 yards).

I have done the majority of my training with the iron sights only and would not feel under equipped if all I had were iron sights. The Aimpoint is just easier to use in bad light, bad positions or a hurry. Being a working gun, I use whatever edge I can get. On weekends when I'm out plinking away, I take off the optic and use the irons to stay sharp.

Somebody mentioned that a component of being a good shot is not just being able to dial in a sight at a known range, use a rest and fire at high contrast targets and I agree wholeheartedly. I grew up rural and went on a lot of walks with a rifle plinking. One would quickly get pretty dang good at range estimation, fundamentals and "Kentucky windage" to make hits. Now that I'm the instructor at work I make our people shoot at nonstandard targets at varied ranges. If you don't do that - try it. It's fun, and if you use your rifle for personal protection it might be useful.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:32   #347
phil evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
).

I have done the majority of my training with the iron sights only and would not feel under equipped if all I had were iron sights.
I grew up rural and went on a lot of walks with a rifle plinking. One would quickly get pretty dang good at range estimation, fundamentals and "Kentucky windage" to make hits. Now that I'm the instructor at work I make our people shoot at nonstandard targets at varied ranges. If you don't do that - try it. It's fun, and if you use your rifle for personal protection it might be useful.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
thanks for the knowledge.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20   #348
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The Larue Tactical solid block of a rear sight intrigues me. Reminds me a bit of the old M16/M16A1 rear sight.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29   #349
Brian Brazier

If you like the Larue checkout the Daniel Defense A1.5, it not a qd, but iron sights dont need to be, and it has the old A1 wheel with the A2 aperture, perfect combo, they are my go to fixed sight.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25   #350
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

[QUOTE=CW Mock;19688969]I shoot irons a lot on my Colt 6720. I dumped the Matech for a Troy rear folder.

It's a patrol rifle, and has an Aimpoint T1 micro, but I have more fun shooting iron sights. The Troys have been fine for the shooting I do (0-300 yards).

I have done the majority of my training with the iron sights only and would not feel under equipped if all I had were iron sights. The Aimpoint is just easier to use in bad light, bad positions or a hurry. Being a working gun, I use whatever edge I can get. On weekends when I'm out plinking away, I take off the optic and use the irons to stay sharp.

Somebody mentioned that a component of being a good shot is not just being able to dial in a sight at a known range, use a rest and fire at high contrast targets and I agree wholeheartedly. I grew up rural and went on a lot of walks with a rifle plinking. One would quickly get pretty dang good at range estimation, fundamentals and "Kentucky windage" to make hits. Now that I'm the instructor at work I make our people shoot at nonstandard targets at varied ranges. If you don't do that - try it. It's fun, and if you use your rifle for personal protection it might be useful.

I agree totally!