GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 19:53   #1
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Christ was never in Christmas

just thought I'd enlighten some of the GT bible thumpers on here.

Look up Saturnalia first.

I'll let the other people on here elaborate further.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 19:58   #2
PaulMason
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,513
Does that mean he didn't get any presents?
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:05   #3
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
Does that mean he didn't get any presents?

Well, I think christ like died on the cross, so everyone could get wine and crackers for presents and all eternity, while a hot asian goddess rides her tiger with laser beams on his head into battles in hopes to gain entry to Valhalla.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:07   #4
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
just thought I'd enlighten some of the GT bible thumpers on here.
Everyone knows that, and no one cares.


__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!
http://tentmaker.org
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:23   #5
PaulMason
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Well, I think christ like died on the cross, so everyone could get wine and crackers for presents and all eternity, while a hot asian goddess rides her tiger with laser beams on his head into battles in hopes to gain entry to Valhalla.
OK, but, does that mean he doesn't get presents?

And if he gets presents, when does he get them - Christmas eve or Christmas morning?

Last edited by PaulMason; 12-03-2012 at 20:24..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:30   #6
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
What did you bastards do with Santa?!
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:43   #7
JerryVO
Senior Member
 
JerryVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
What did you bastards do with Santa?!
Santa is just Satan with a few letters switched. If you don't believe me look it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
__________________

JerryVO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:56   #8
JBnTX
None
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,915
Christmas is the day Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus.
No Christian has ever implied anything else.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 21:02   #9
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Christmas is the day Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus.
No Christian has ever implied anything else.
Sarcasm?


LOL


JBnTX I do enjoy your posts!
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!
http://tentmaker.org
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 21:20   #10
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopela View Post
Santa is just Satan with a few letters switched. If you don't believe me look it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
And 'jopela' is just 'jackalope' with a few letters switched and removed, what's your point?
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 21:23   #11
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,603
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
And 'jopela' is just 'jackalope' with a few letters switched and removed, what's your point?
jopela could also be pa joel or pal joe.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 21:40   #12
JBnTX
None
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Sarcasm?


LOL


JBnTX I do enjoy your posts!

No sarcasm was intended.
Do you have something to say?
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:06   #13
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
No sarcasm was intended.
Do you have something to say?
Oh I thought that was sarcasm.........
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!
http://tentmaker.org
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:13   #14
JBnTX
None
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post

Oh I thought that was sarcasm.........

No Christian has ever implied that Christmas was anything more than a celebration of the birth of Jesus.

The OP's premise is wrong.
Christ definitely has a place in Christmas.

The fact that it may coincide with some previous pagan ritual is totally irrelevant to modern day Christmas.

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-03-2012 at 22:16..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:54   #15
JBnTX
None
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
just thought I'd enlighten some of the GT bible thumpers on here.

Look up Saturnalia first.

I'll let the other people on here elaborate further.

Why try to discredit Christmas and Christians at their holiest of all holidays?
Do you think it's funny or a joke?

What is it to you?
Are Christians bothering you in some way?

You and others like you seem obsessed with something you claim you don't even believe in. Why is that?

Christianity has brought hope, peace and joy into the lives of countless millions, and for some reason you seem to have a problem with that?

Do you have a problem with other people being happy?

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-03-2012 at 23:00..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:18   #16
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Why try to discredit Christmas and Christians at their holiest of all holidays?
Is Christmas really the holiest Christian holiday? Doesn't Easter rank higher in terms of religious significance?
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:20   #17
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Christmas is the day Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus.
No Christian has ever implied anything else.
It has it's roots in a Pagan holiday though. And last I heard, Christians hate Pagans because they don't believe in the god that Christians believe in. So why do they celebrate the birthday of Christ on a Pagan holiday?
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:21   #18
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

Christianity has brought hope, peace and joy into the lives of countless millions, and for some reason you seem to have a problem with that?


..
And death and destruction, hopelessness and despair to millions as well. You can't leave that part out.
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:22   #19
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Is Christmas really the holiest Christian holiday? Doesn't Easter rank higher in terms of religious significance?
I'd say Christians think Christmas is holier than Easter because they get more loot on Christmas.
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:23   #20
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
No Christian has ever implied that Christmas was anything more than a celebration of the birth of Jesus.
Gee, and yet, when I was growing up, everybody kept telling me that it was the day Jesus was born. They didn't think that it was the day they celebrated his birthday, they thought it was the actual day he was born.

No christian ever implied Christmas was anything more than a celebration of jesus' birthday my a..
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:28   #21
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
No Christian has ever implied that Christmas was anything more than a celebration of the birth of Jesus.
You're either unaware or being intentionally dishonest. Christians have long made the claim that America is a Christian Nation and the fact that Christmas is a national holiday is proof of such. This is why Christians got seriously butt hurt when Religious Oriented Decorations were appropriately removed from public buildings and stores began saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Why try to discredit Christmas and Christians at their holiest of all holidays?
Do you think it's funny or a joke?

What is it to you?
At its core Christmas is fairly sinister. It's indoctrination for children. They're taught about another mythical being (Santa) who is also watching them and if they're good (according to good old Christian values of course) then they are rewarded with toys and candy. But they're warned that if they're bad they get nothing. And all the while singing songs about little lord Jesus laying in a manger. At its core it's brain washing. It's sort of an indoctrination primer. Once the child is old enough you tell them "there is no such thing as Santa... but Jesus is real... we're super serious this time." And because children trust the adults in their life they go right along with it. After all... they've been so well rewarded for their obedience up till now right?

Quote:
You and others like you seem obsessed with something you claim you don't even believe in. Why is that?
Christmas anymore is a commercial holiday. It's good for the economy but I think bad for society. We see mom's beating each other over the head with hand bags in Toys R Us for the last tickle me elmo. You hear fathers shouting "If another one of y'all push my F-ing kids I'm gonna F-ing stab you!" It teaches people to be materialistic at the cut throat level while encouraging the worship of mythological characters from bronze age Fairy Tales. For a religion supposedly so much about peace and a lack of love for possessions... it sure creates and nice hypocrisy for itself within its adherents as a result of its celebrations.

Quote:
Christianity has brought hope, peace and joy
And death, and torture, and dread, and terror, and control, and ignorance, and fear, and hatred, and bigotry, and self hate, and shame, and intolerance, and war, and destruction, and a hindrance to progress.

It's done plenty of good but it's also done plenty of bad. I think we can find an idealism with a better good to bad production ratio.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-04-2012 at 00:31..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:33   #22
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
And death, and torture, and dread, and terror, and control, and ignorance, and fear, and hatred, and bigotry, and self hate, and shame, and intolerance, and war, and destruction, and a hindrance to progress.

It's done plenty of good but it's also done plenty of bad. I think we can find an idealism with a better good to bad production ratio.
Do you think it could be said that religion as a whole has done far more harm than good? And that we'd have flying cars now if it wasn't for religion always holding us back?

Last edited by TK-421; 12-04-2012 at 00:33..
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:49   #23
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Do you think it could be said that religion as a whole has done far more harm than good? And that we'd have flying cars now if it wasn't for religion always holding us back?
It's hard to say to be honest. There was a time man really needed religion. I mean if you look at ancient peoples. They were very barbaric and it was still a very "might makes right" type of world. Making a law that it was illegal to bash a man's head in so you could take his woman as your own wasn't gonna carry much weight with everyone. But if you create this mythical being that will punish you with fire and torment and there is no escape from this justice... that's a different story. It did bring order to very barbaric people. Forming nations and societies encourages community and from there some progress can be made. I think in our earliest days we might not have formed certain advancements as quickly as we did were it not for religion. Reading and language developed significantly because of religion. Basic math as well. However we reached a point in our advancement where the virtues of religion began to yield diminishing returns. The dark ages didn't get their name because they were happy and full of love. Man's progress began to slow as a result of religion. Early chemistry was considered witchcraft and a tool of the devil. Scientific discovery that ran counter to doctrine was punishable by a very slow and agonizing death. Hard to say if it has hurt us more than help us. I can say for sure that no other concept has resulted in more deaths on this planet than religion. And I am certain that in this modern age... it is hurting us more than helping us. Currently it is holding us back. However... I'm glad to see it losing its grip on us.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:54   #24
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
It's hard to say to be honest. There was a time man really needed religion. I mean if you look at ancient peoples. They were very barbaric and it was still a very "might makes right" type of world. Making a law that it was illegal to bash a man's head in so you could take his woman as your own wasn't gonna carry much weight with everyone. But if you create this mythical being that will punish you with fire and torment and there is no escape from this justice... that's a different story. It did bring order to very barbaric people. Forming nations and societies encourages community and from there some progress can be made. I think in our earliest days we might not have formed certain advancements as quickly as we did were it not for religion. Reading and language developed significantly because of religion. Basic math as well. However we reached a point in our advancement where the virtues of religion began to yield diminishing returns. The dark ages didn't get their name because they were happy and full of love. Man's progress began to slow as a result of religion. Early chemistry was considered witchcraft and a tool of the devil. Scientific discovery that ran counter to doctrine was punishable by a very slow and agonizing death. Hard to say if it has hurt us more than help us. I can say for sure that no other concept has resulted in more deaths on this planet than religion. And I am certain that in this modern age... it is hurting us more than helping us. Currently it is holding us back. However... I'm glad to see it losing its grip on us.
So I guess you could say it's similar to most unions. Necessary at first, but long overdue to be done away with.

Granted, not all unions are evil, because not all corporations realize that a worker who is happy because his company likes him will work better than a worker who is happy because the union forces the company to keep the worker happy. But I've been far happier at my non-union jobs than I ever was at my union job.
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34   #25
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,643
I find humor in the hypocrisy of christian traditions, like the people who protest their kid's school for calling something Halloween but still put up a Christmas tree in their home. (hijacked from the Druids).
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC

Last edited by GreenDrake; 12-04-2012 at 06:34..
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:54.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 812
209 Members
603 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42