SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2012, 20:54   #1
Bow Commander

I have a wireless router question.

Hello,

I'm trying to get my parents into this century and get their home set up with wireless internet. I have it at my home, and I know how to set up a simple router.

Question: they have a desktop computer and a laptop. Do I need to get a specific kind of router to run them both?

I don't have a desktop at my house so I haven't done this before. I imagine I will need a router that still runs the desktop on an ethernet cable AND transmit wirelessly?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2012, 21:10   #2
Bucknasty

I believe all wireless routers also have Ethernet ports.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Bucknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 21:12   #3
Bow Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknasty View Post
I believe all wireless routers also have Ethernet ports.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That's what I wanted to confirm. That most typical routers can accomplish this. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2012, 23:13   #4
mortpes

I would wire the desktop to the router and run the laptop off the wireless. Also if Brighthouse let the cable people set up the wireless. They know the codes and will do it no charge just for equipment.
mortpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09   #5
10rounds
CLM Number 35
Charter Lifetime Member

Unless a wireless printer is used, check to see if the router has an adequate number of ports for all of the devices. I setup a wireless router for my place a few months ago. I chose the Apple Airport Extreme over their Airport Express. The Extreme had more ports than the Express. A couple of days ago, I ran a cable from the router to the BluRay player to get it updated.
10rounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Just buy a popular router and you will have no problem.

Search for a brand name with a good reputation. Mine is old WRT-54G and it still supports numerous cell phones (WiFi), printers, notebooks, laptops, CCTV cameras, etc.

I use MAC Addressing together with WAP security settings. It's all in the router documentation.

You will be in good shape. Remember, range of the wireless may vary depending on your specific house/locations.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52   #7
MoparMan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Just buy a popular router and you will have no problem.

Search for a brand name with a good reputation. Mine is old WRT-54G and it still supports numerous cell phones (WiFi), printers, notebooks, laptops, CCTV cameras, etc.

I use MAC Addressing together with WAP security settings. It's all in the router documentation.

You will be in good shape. Remember, range of the wireless may vary depending on your specific house/locations.
And by WRT-54G he means a Linksys router. It's ancient, but damn reliable. It's only downfall is it doesn't support the wireless N that many modern devices can utilize for faster speeds and greater range. You can also buy a wireless adapter for a desktop, and they range from $20 to $60, but this allows for wireless access on the desktop and obviously eliminates another cord. This is how I have MY desktop connected and have had no issues.

My router is a Linksys E1200, it's a wireless-N router. Most routers will come standard with four ports for wired connections.
MoparMan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40   #8
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Commander View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to get my parents into this century and get their home set up with wireless internet. I have it at my home, and I know how to set up a simple router.

Question: they have a desktop computer and a laptop. Do I need to get a specific kind of router to run them both?

I don't have a desktop at my house so I haven't done this before. I imagine I will need a router that still runs the desktop on an ethernet cable AND transmit wirelessly?
Like others have said any plain jane entry level consumer wireless router will do. However, before dropping money on a new wireless router, see what kind of equipment comes with their broadband service. In many cases the broadband service will include a wireless router pre configured for the broadband provider's service.

Next, while you can connect a desktop to a wireless router via a ethernet wire, sometimes the placement of the wireless router will preclude or restrict using a ethernet wire. In such a case there are inexpensive wireless USB adapters one can buy to connect a desktop PC wirelessly to a wireless router.
Old 12-05-2012, 14:55   #9
sappy13

I highly suggest one of these. I put these in for my clients that dont want to spend the cash and buy a Ruckus AP. They work great and are super simple to set up. It has multiple gigabit ethernet ports too, which is what you want for a wired pc. The newest ones are all V3, but i would love to find one in V1 or V2 because those versions are supported by DDWRT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122326
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:16   #10
WiskyT
Malcontent

One issue regarding senior people and wifi is that wireless rounters need to be reset from time to time. You try to go online and you have no internet. Is it the service? Is it the modem? Is it the router? If your parents are like my neighbors, they will get frustrated. My neighbor insists on having wireless because they don't want wires. Okay, except they use their only computer, a laptop, as a desktop and it is on the desk that has the internet connection right underneath it. Every two weeks my wife has to go and reset all of their stuff to get them online. If they would just plug the darn thing into the modem and skip the router, they'd have a lot less problems.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 22:25   #11
Bow Commander

Thanks so much for the info everybody! Good stuff, and i'm making note of all of it.

Does anyone have experience with the Apple Airport stations? What's the story/benefit with those?